• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How should old kanji variants be handled?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
Japanese names often use old kanji variants that have been simplified or replaced with other kanji with the same pronunciation in regular use. See Wikipedia: Kyūjitai and Jinmeiyō kanji. I'd guess that often electronic systems will not have the old forms available, and people are forced to spell their names with the modern alternative kanji. This leads to different places having different kanji spellings of the same name. Places such as credits in one anime vs. another anime, or online listings vs. in-episode credits.

I was wondering how to handle such spelling variants in the ANN encyclopedia after coming across two cases yesterday:
Katsumi TAMEGAI: 爲我井 (classic) vs. 為我井 (modern), and
Shōichirō SUGIURA: 杦浦 (classic) vs. 杉浦 (modern).

There doesn't seem to be a proper field in the person record for alternative kanji, but it'd obviously help to have the encyclopedia forms automatically match both spellings to the right person.

I've added error reports to both entries for now so that the info is there if needed.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Japanese names often use old kanji variants that have been simplified or replaced with other kanji with the same pronunciation in regular use.

Shōichirō SUGIURA: 杦浦 (classic) vs. 杉浦 (modern).

Just for your information. Actually, '杦' is a newer kanji which is derived from the cursive version of '杉'. So, if you care about which kanji is classical/older, '杉' is classical/older.

Johann Joseph Hoffmann, who was the professor of Japanology at Leiden University, wrote a letter in Japanese to Suharaya Mohē in order to purchase Gagen Shūran in the 19th century. I don't know whether the level of Japanology in the Netherlands is now high, though. w

Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Just for your information. Actually, '杦' is a newer kanji which is derived from the cursive version of '杉'. So, if you care about which kanji is classical/older, '杉' is classical/older.

Oh, I didn't know that. I didn't see 杦 in the Jinmeiyō and Jōyō lists, so I figured it must be an older one. Is it too new to be included or something?

Quote:
I don't know whether the level of Japanology in the Netherlands is now high, though. w

I wouldn't know really. I live in Leiden, but haven't been a student at the university here in over ten years. I'm just another anime&games fan who's picked up a few words here and there and isn't very diligent in using the textbooks she has lying around Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Related question for the editors:

Sometimes a person is credited in Hiragana on their first few jobs, and the encyclopedia ends up giving their entry a Kanji name in Hiragana. But then later they might start to receive credits in Kanji. Sometimes during the same series they might be credited as both their Hiragana and Kanji spelling in different episodes. What do?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that a future version of the encyclopedia will allow for variant spellings in Kanji/Kana and Romaji since it comes up so often (and also allow for easier changes if it turns out someone's name has been mis-read).

PS: it is technically possible to list two different Kanji for someone by hiding one, adding the other then unhiding the first. Only admins can do it, and IIRC it does break something, somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
AFAIK adding more than 1 kanji name doesn't break anything. In fact I encourage doing it for people who are credited with various kanji that have the same pronunciation. The main reason it can only be done by staff is that otherwise everyone would start entering the hiragana reading of the names. When someone's name is in hiragana in the Japanese credits then it makes sense to enter that as "kanji name" but otherwise I don't think it would be a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Oh, I didn't know that. I didn't see 杦 in the Jinmeiyō and Jōyō lists, so I figured it must be an older one. Is it too new to be included or something?

'杦' is a relatively 'minor' kanji. So, probably committee members related to jinmeiyō kanji and jōyō kanji took no notice of '杦' in the first place.
Even Shin Jigen, which is a scholarly but small dictionary, has approximately 10000 kanji. When you cannot find Kanji X in the lists of jōyō kanji and jinmeiyō kanji, it doesn't necessarily mean that Kanji X is a 'classical/old' kanji.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
I wouldn't know really. I live in Leiden, but haven't been a student at the university here in over ten years. I'm just another anime&games fan who's picked up a few words here and there and isn't very diligent in using the textbooks she has lying around ^.^'

Oh, since you talked about kanji in detail, I was under the impression that you were a person who inherited the secrets of Japanology from old European Japanologists. ^_^

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
PS: it is technically possible to list two different Kanji for someone by hiding one, adding the other then unhiding the first. Only admins can do it, and IIRC it does break something, somewhere.

Just tested it with this entry (the family name can be written as either 薮下 or 藪下); both kanji family names can be picked up when submitting credits. Very Happy The only tiny drawback is the full kanji name cannot be displayed right below the romanji name, but that should not cause any problem.

I still remember a debate almost ten years ago; it's time to clear it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
So, should we begin a thread to report these issues, or do it through error reports, or what?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
So, should we begin a thread to report these issues, or do it through error reports, or what?

I'd say submitting error reports would be the easiest way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1