• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailor Moon limited editon (question).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Is the art box lope-sided for anyone else?
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Also, on episode 1 at the time of 12:53-12:56

the frames look bad, like they didn't remaster those or something, because they look a lot different from the rest of the frames
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
There're lots of problems being brought up around the net about the video quality for the release.

Sad
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
haven't seen the video for mine yet, but my box is fine
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
There're lots of problems being brought up around the net about the video quality for the release.

Sad

What places are you searching to find this info?

publicenemy333 wrote:
haven't seen the video for mine yet, but my box is fine

Could be just mine or the batch that printed, because 1 side if longer and you can see the tilt in the box
glowingdawn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Now that you mention it, when its not upright on my shelf the box is fairly lopsided. Have you taken off the strange cover saying blu ray DVD combo pack around the chipboard? One moment.

There is a large glob of adhesive on the bottom holding the strange slipcover thing on. I can't bring myself to throw these away, somehow convincing myself that they will avoid shelfwear to the chipboard. They're still on my Ranma BDs too. Taking that off helps my lopsidedness but the box is definitely just a little off. I wish the booklet was hardcover like a NISA release but Viz did a pretty good job here just as with their Ranma sets.

Overall, for paying $56.99 (rightstuf.com preorder) I'm happy. I would've have happily paid more for this so I'm pretty happy with the quality. Haven't watched it yet but I think I'll still be happy when I do.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
glowingdawn wrote:
Have you taken off the strange cover saying blu ray DVD combo pack around the chipboard?

....yes, I throw those stupid things out

Viz messed up the box design for a high profile show. How? Nothing is wrong with their K or Blood Lad boxes (I own both of those). How hard is it to measure the sides of the boxes correctly?
Altacia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Altacia wrote:

Sad

FandomPost has some talk about it, Blu-Ray.com {forum} has quite a bit of chatter, people have posted on Facebook about it in the random groups I'm part of plus the VIZ Facebook page.

I'm sure other sites will join in when Amazon and the other places ship their orders out.

Kind of regret reading about it, some of the stuff I probably wouldn't even have noticed if I hadn't. haha
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Altacia wrote:

:(

The following tweets were retweeted from a friend of mine on twitter, who follows Zac:

@ANN Zac
Supposed to get that Sailor Moon set in this week so I can see for myself. Screencap culture seems to have declared it infidel

@ANN Zac
If you put in one of the DVDs from the ADV Sailor Moon set it is literally just a blurry picture of a butt for 120 minutes

@Sasquatchulous
@ANN Zac

I'd say that's where it's coming from.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
Kind of regret reading about it, some of the stuff I probably wouldn't even have noticed if I hadn't. haha

Some are noticeable, some frames will get blurry (it's most like close-ups that do it), the frames just look out of place compared to other frames

I honestly think Viz shouldn't have remastered it, that's something that should've been handled by the Japanese studio. Hell, Toei should've done a DBZ Kai with the series

Dessa wrote:
The following tweets were retweeted from a friend of mine on twitter, who follows Zac:

No, my frames don't look that bad
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
Quick disclaimer, I dont really have an eye for this sorta thing. I remember people bringing up issues with Funimation's release of Serial Experiments Lain and not noticing. However, Sentai's release of Nadia on Blu-ray had issues (at least with my copy) that I found REALLY noticeable (blurry images mostly).

So I finished the first episode, and honestly I didn't see any major problems. I was half watching looking for the them, but the other half just getting lost in watching it, and there was never any kind of glitch that happened that took me out of it.

Maybe it'll get worse later on, I've heard of ghosting problems. But honestly, it so far looks fine to me.

Also Dessa, I think those screen caps are from the ADV dvd release.
Altacia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just got the DVDs. Didn't want to risk getting BluRays for a 20 year old show that's going to take forever to release.... Laughing

They aren't bad, they are actually really good... No issues I can notice. So, yea.. DVD wise it's pretty damn good. I'm not a videophile or anything though...

I may switch to BluRays for Stars, Viz should have worked out any kinks by then and that's my favorite season anyways.

Oh! My VKLL Fansubs on VHS don't even look as bad as that above image.... Something must have been wrong with that TV..
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
I am shocked, shocked I tell you that Viz did a less than competent job with this remastering. Especially since I've never once seen a release from them where I could say, "Yeah, that's all right, no major flaws there."

Of course, there are those who think that the industry can do no wrong and that "screencap culture" is the enemy. Well, I'm not one to be fixated on background details and wall textures, but I couldn't not notice the issues in this comparison:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/75490
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, watching more episodes, Im noticing a lot more of the issues. Some partly cause I did more research on the problems, so they were more apparent to me, some that I would've seen on my own had no one told me anything. Its not quite unwatchable (to me at least), but its definitely distracting

Im not so sure a recall will happen (we'd have to probably wait a month or two anyway since they'd have to work on fixing the problem first), but I hope its at least fixed on future re-releases and looked over more on the next sets
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1