• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does Mahoromatic have a sad ending?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowGod93

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
i want to know if Mahoromatic has a sad ending because i don't want to start a sad endind show agein. i seen 4 shows with sad endings in a row so i am not in the mood for a sad ending right now.
Kiba17

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
ShadowGod93 wrote:
i want to know if Mahoromatic has a sad ending because i don't want to start a sad endind show agein. i seen 4 shows with sad endings in a row so i am not in the mood for a sad ending right now.

Okay, well....yes, in the sense that the ending sucks, one of the worst in anime history, and that it's actually pretty sad and at the same time joyful (if you think about it too hard, it becomes a horribly sad ending). That's if we're talking about the end of both seasons. Now just the end of season 1 is okay. (It would've been bad if it didn't get a season 2 though.)

the show itself is great and one of my favorites though.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
I found the end of the first season to be a serious tear-jerker; it's actually a happy ending in context, but the implications of what the characters are saying in it, and the way the insert song plays up the mood of the scene, makes it feel terribly sad.

The ending of the series as a whole is heavily debated. A lot of people who are otherwise fans of the series hate it (even though it ended up being not that far removed from the manga). I found it strange but fitting. Whether you find it sad, satisfying, or just a deplorable waste of time will depend on your interpretation of that final episode.

Although the series as a whole is mostly a raucous, fan service-laden comedy (especially in the first half of the second season), it does have its share of weighty, serious content and a sobering undercurrent. It can also get genuinely emotional, and not just at the aforementioned ending. It doesn't have the best artistry but may, at times, surprise you with the quality of its storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrockPot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Since you've overloaded on sad endings lately don't take a chance on Mahoro. Like Key said the ending is open for interpretation but most people seem to simply walk away from this one thinking the ending absolutely sucks.

I'd suggest you pick something else first to 'cleanse the palate'. Mahoromatic isn't going anywhere and you can always pick it up later.

Edit: because I spel gud.

Last edited by CrockPot on Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainulf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, Mahoromatic anime has a tragic ending, and I hate it even though they tried to cheer me up, I still hate it. But in the manga, it was different. In the manga, spoiler[Mahoro was reborn as a human baby shortly after her death]
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
If you want a neat (if fan service-laden)series with a very satisfyingly happy ending, try Midori Days. Or if you want a longer series with a strong and truly positive-feeling ending, check out Stellvia. Both series have their weak points but do, at their best, deliver quality stories with feel-good endings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd call it more of a "wtf?" ending than a sad ending. Now, if season 2 ep 13 had been the last episode, it would've been an excellent yet sad ending in my view. I didn't hate the ending, but it did leave me scratching my head a bit. After all, it's Gainax, and they were never known for having the most conclusive endings. Of course, there's always the alternate choice of watching This Ugly yet Beautiful World. Same studio, almost the same Japanese cast as Mahoromatic, and a mix of happy and sad moments that winds up at an ending that's at least happier and more conclusive than Mahoromatic's.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
I think the ending for the anime was conclusive, it just did a piss poor job of explaining what happened. While the anime diverges from the manga quite a bit in the second season, the last chapter of the manga and the last episode of the anime both spoiler[bring Mahoro back to life]. The difference is that the manga goes into Mahoro's origins and what happens makes sense. In the anime, it just happens and you have to accept it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1