• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of an anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flats

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I've never really done anything on a forum before but I was wondering whether I was the one only one with this problem so bear with me.

I've been watching anime and reading manga for a while now but I have this problem that when I finish the anime I feel so empty for days after. It feels terrible, so terrible to the point that I've considered just going cold turkey with all anime and manga. I just wanted to know if this is common among other people who watch anime and how you guys deal with it.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I used to get that back in the 90's. I blamed it on the culture clash between how western shows and anime are handled.

I'm going off some old stuff here, so bare with me. But very few shows when I was growing up had a continuing story. They'd have a start and maybe an end. Somewhere in between there might be an ep to introduce a new character which was (actually, usually wasn't) a prerequisite for other eps of the show with that character in it.

But anime almost always tells a continuous story and ends. So, to me, it's finale actually feels final, even if the story ended prematurely, as opposed to other cartoons where they just kind of stop. And that gave me a sad feeling for a while. Now it gives me a very peaceful feeling, like by watching the show I was part of the final stage of it's creation, the final stage of it's life.

So you'll likely just grow out of it. I say stick with it because the calm and proud feeling is pretty damn good.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes if I like an anime, I will just stop watching it when it is about to be finished... My backlog consists of a lot of anime with just a few episodes remaining till the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I think that it is pretty normal, I used to get it pretty bad a couple years ago when I was mostly just starting on intense watching. I would feel totally empty after watching something that had become a favourite that I just felt terrible afterwards.

But now I feel a little different, after watching so many shows I am happy when there is a good ending. Although I still get it at times if I get particularly attached to something. I have done some posts about what it is like the week or two when all shows end for the season, I put it as a moment where I reflect on the shows and analyse them. I get to write a big post about my thoughts and give a writing.

But I also look at them as a time to wait for new shows to come, an end only means there will be some beginnings.
Flats

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
I think it's just the fact that I can't seem to come to terms with the ending. I'm always yearning for it to keep going. Very few if any of the anime I've watched has left feeling truly satisfied with the ending. 12 episode animes terrify me for that reason I think if I could just get over that then watching anime would be much more enjoyable. Hopefully it'll come with time as I watch more but believe me they're definitely some of the most intense depressions I've gotten.

I've tried to stop watching the anime just before it ends and it does seem to work as the attachment to it seems to wear off a bit but it's really difficult to just stop being so close to the end.

I also tried watching multiple ones at the same time so I wouldn't get attached to one so much..... but that totally backfired and I finished them all at the same time (yes I see my folly now) and it was So much worse. Guess I was kind of asking for that one.

It feels pretty good to finally get this all out. I'd love to hear more ways on how people handle it
opconvoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes i feel that way, but i have so many shows i want to watch, so i just keep on going. Sometimes i do take a break tho, like enough to kind of let the previous anime sink in and once i'm fully over it, i go ahead and start the next one.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what the hell was going through his head but a friend of mine decided to tank Clannad AS and AnoHana, then later picked up Gunslinger Girl and Saikano because they were in a recommendation. So yeah, AnoHana, Gunslinger Girl, Saikano and Clannad AS all at the same time. To be honest I'm surprised he's still with us. But much bourbon was drank when they all ended back-to-back.

Anyway, I bring this up because it made me think of a trick you might use. Of course it depends on what you're interested in but perhaps try to work it so you always have a 20+ ep show in among your 13 ep ones. So something will keep you going into the next season.

Another thing that might help is a slight change in mindset. Basically, if a show doesn't die a beautiful, graceful death in it's prime, it will die a pitiful, unfulfilling death in it's old age. So with that in mind, maybe it's better that your favourite shows don't go on too long.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
I don't know what the hell was going through his head but a friend of mine decided to tank Clannad AS and AnoHana, then later picked up Gunslinger Girl and Saikano because they were in a recommendation. So yeah, AnoHana, Gunslinger Girl, Saikano and Clannad AS all at the same time. To be honest I'm surprised he's still with us. But much bourbon was drank when they all ended back-to-back.

I watched Anohana, Saikano and Clannad AS over a period of 4 months, two months later I read the 15 volumes of the Gunslinger Girl manga. I found Saikano, Clannad AS and the Gunslinger Girl manga to be very rich emotional experiences while Anohana felt very manipulative to me and hence failed to move me.

Overall, I don't really understand the complaint of Flats: there are hundreds of great anime titles, and thousands of great manga titles as well. You just have to do some research that you can find'en in large quantities. I am super happy after I discover and finish watching a masterpiece.

Quote:
Another thing that might help is a slight change in mindset. Basically, if a show doesn't die a beautiful, graceful death in it's prime, it will die a pitiful, unfulfilling death in it's old age. So with that in mind, maybe it's better that your favourite shows don't go on too long.

Since I am also a big film fan I prefer to watch anime titles in the 13 episode format and usually in one or two sittings. If I liked it enough I just watch the whole thing again anyway after a couple of months: I have watched PMMM about 6 times since I first watched it nearly a year ago, it lasts less than 5 hours so it's not hard to watch the whole thing in one sitting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Flats

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
Anyway, I bring this up because it made me think of a trick you might use. Of course it depends on what you're interested in but perhaps try to work it so you always have a 20+ ep show in among your 13 ep ones. So something will keep you going into the next season.

This does seem like a very good idea I'll definitely start trying this.

Bango wrote:

Yeah I totally agree with this. I've just gotta work on it and see what happens. Hopefully it'll become easier.

Jose Cruz wrote:
Overall, I don't really understand the complaint of Flats: there are hundreds of great anime titles, and thousands of great manga titles as well. You just have to do some research that you can find'en in large quantities.

The point isn't that there is a lack of great anime and manga, it's just the attachment that is made with the great ones I do watch. I really wish it wasn't like this because then I could freely watch anime without the apprehension in the back of my mind that it is eventually going to end which is inevitable and foolish on my part for thinking any differently.

I think that working on changing my mindset will be more beneficial in the long run rather than just hammering through the turmoil at the end of an anime. It seems that most people just seem to get over it quickly so I don't know why I can't seem to do so easily. :/
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Flats--
Oh, by the way, welcome to the fora.
Observe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
I may be the minority here but I rarely watch anime these days. I grew up on 80s and 90s anime. New anime doesn't have that feel. Back then it felt taboo

thread/
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
I sympathize with you surely. It is hard especialy if we love a series and feel close to the characters. It is one of the costs of enjoying this wonderful medium. I don't know any answer, but what I do is to watch them again, usually at least once a year but some series I watch every day. They are always there for us. and that is one of the treasured qualities of the good ..the best anime. Hope that helps a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1