• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yomanffgg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
i was thinking of starting collecting Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M. But I saw 3 versions of it, can some someone explain differences?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
First off, great choice, Firefighter Daigo is in my top 10 manga and my second favorite shonen series (after Hikaru no Go)

There's only 3 versions of v1. There's one with a red cover, which is the flipped version. Not the one to get. Get either of the other two as they are not flipped. The "Special Collector's Edition" came out as the same time as the red one. It's only real use is that it's oversized and isn't flipped, apparently that used to be "special" back in 2002. The third one came out later, it matches all the other books with their bright yellow spines. Get this one if you must have all the spines match, this one or the "special collector's edition" if you don't. But don't get the red one, there's really no point. Though it is likely to be the cheapest.
red flipped
special edition unflipped
regular
How a series rumored to have sold 2000 units for all 20 volumes combined got its first volume released 3 times is beyond me. It's a damn good series that deserves more attention and affection though.

Here's a picture of mine, which has the "special collector's edition" v1. The regular v1 will look like all the other ones in the series. Someday I might replace my v1, I probably got that version because it was cheap or something. And unflipped. I actually just checked online, the "special edition" does indeed appear to cheaper than the "normal" looking one.
yomanffgg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
First off, great choice, Firefighter Daigo is i
red flipped
regular

I don't think I want pay 100 $ for regular, so I will go with special edition
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
I appreciate it, you two.

yomanffgg wrote:
i was thinking of starting collecting Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M. But I saw 3 versions of it, can some someone explain differences?

If you decide to start this series, would you like to take my spare copy of Vol. 20 off my hands? Smile
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
First off, great choice, Firefighter Daigo is in my top 10 manga and my second favorite shonen series (after Hikaru no Go)

There's only 3 versions of v1. There's one with a red cover, which is the flipped version. Not the one to get. Get either of the other two as they are not flipped. The "Special Collector's Edition" came out as the same time as the red one. It's only real use is that it's oversized and isn't flipped, apparently that used to be "special" back in 2002. The third one came out later, it matches all the other books with their bright yellow spines. Get this one if you must have all the spines match, this one or the "special collector's edition" if you don't. But don't get the red one, there's really no point. Though it is likely to be the cheapest.
red flipped
regular
How a series rumored to have sold 2000 units for all 20 volumes combined got its first volume released 3 times is beyond me. It's a damn good series that deserves more attention and affection though.

Here's a picture of mine, which has the "special collector's edition" v1. The regular v1 will look like all the other ones in the series. Someday I might replace my v1, I probably got that version because it was cheap or something. And unflipped. I actually just checked online, the "special edition" does indeed appear to cheaper than the "normal" looking one.

oh planetes 4 part 2, how you elude me. When i see how they split the last volume into 2 it makes me glad tokyopop is gone.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Speaking of Parasyte, I'm still trying to find a Del Rey copy of Vol. 3 that isn't $80+ dollars. :(

Just in case you/anyone hadn't seen yet—Kodansha tweeted this morning that they're reprinting the series (no dates yet though).
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Speaking of Parasyte, I'm still trying to find a Del Rey copy of Vol. 3 that isn't $80+ dollars. Sad

Just in case you/anyone hadn't seen yet—Kodansha tweeted this morning that they're reprinting the series (no dates yet though).

Very pleasing news! I was thinking they might do something due to the re-releases in Japan but it's great to know I might actually be able to start collecting the series at a reasonable price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Viz tweeted yesterday that dr slump is back in print. they also said a few days back that eyeshield 21 is back in print.

i got 4 volumes of dr slump that someone was getting rid of and saw that volume 11 was stupidly hard to get but i kept hold of em and now im glad i did. I already had all of eyeshield though, volume 2 was a bit tough when i started grabbing em but i managed to find one eventually.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:

Indeed I have.

I'm still looking for the Del Rey version as the paper quality on the Kodansha reprints weren't as good the first time around. I may resort to a Kodansha copy at some point if the Del Rey version stays as expensive as it is right now. ($50+? ehhhhhh.)
hhnn5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote
Hello,

i'm looking for Eden: it's an endless world V.8

is there any place where I can buy for 50$

it goes now for +100$

I really need your help
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
I've been on the hunt for that one for years
hhnn5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
Are they going to reprint the series?
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
HAHAHAHA good luck with that.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
hhnn5 wrote:
Are they going to reprint the series?

the way things are now people are just glad they continue to print the current volumes. there was a long gap before they released the latest one (13 i think it was).

Dark horse have a nasty habit of letting stuff go out of print and they dont offer any kind of feedback via social media either so you cant ask them about it.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Anyone looking for Basara? Special Edition has 1-9 for just €18.

(MangaWinkeltje has all the other volumes for €5,50 per book)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 67 of 76