• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sabagebu - Survival Game Club! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Uluru.... I've heard that name somewhere....

"Already my warbands march and shed blood. Soon your brittle little bones will bleach beneath a Momoka sun!"

Now I want to play that game again.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
first part didn't make much sense, which I guess is normal for this show, but I kept waiting for some explanation as to why she went there to begin with. I really only enjoyed the third skit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

You're one spoiler[moe mother@#$%]!
That was great see one of my favourite action movies and franchises parodied, spoiler[Predator. And the Alien bit at the end of dogs instead of the cats]. I am pretty sure I have made it clear in the past that it is one of my favourites, so it was probably unfairly going to have a positive effect on me.

But the rest of the episode was not bad either. The punch line of the first part was hilarious when it was spoiler[revealed that the "treasure" was a corny note left by her innocent child self telling her that the true treasure was friendship]. And the showcases in the second of how spoiler[awful she can be, and getting a new admirer of an idol who took her terrible advice to heart].

I think some of the most effective jokes in this series might actually just be during the screen going grey and the voiceover giving explanation and clarification. Followed by or combined with Momoka being a terrible person.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
I can confess that I will never look at spoiler[crabs the same way again, or maybe high heels as well.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Must admit that the episode made me actually get tears a bit from being so funny. They discover that over the top sweet decorations spoiler[improve survival equipment]. Momoka gets trained spoiler[in wearing high heels by Chicken Lemon]. And the battle spoiler[over the crab] happens.

The craziness of spoiler[Chicken Lemon] doing it made it kind of foreseeable spoiler[that it was him], but the punch line did work. And I did see what would happen to the spoiler[crab at the very end], the same thing was done on spoiler[the Simpsons].

And the small gags that are just funny, from the spoiler[yakuza misunderstandings, strawberries, facehugger crab, Momoka shooting classmates, and the crab handing weapons.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

The spoiler[crab was piloting a helicopter]. Laughing Anime cry Laughing (that is laughing until crying)

This was a super fun final episode to a super fun series, they just went all out on this episode. Bringing back a bunch of the characters, reminding us that yes Momoka is pretty horrible, but it is never boring with her around. A purposely silly explanation of the spoiler[government body, and a ridiculous chase scene including apparently a boat chase]. And then it was followed up by an over the top showdown spoiler[at a church], with every cliché and trope they could throw at it, pure fun. The spoiler[mother did an agent bullet dodge, loli tsundere was tsundere, idol went Hulk, Lemon could only do a useless game gun akin to the perverts with cameras and old lady just wondering around]. They threw everything they had, and since I was largely a big fan of the show, it was great to watch. I was even laughing at the spoiler[crying Mary statue, there were doves], and had a feeling that as soon spoiler[as she gave up they would have a cure and it was for naught].

Also a later with some... closure, spoiler[scary birthday preparations, letting a bear out into the city, and for once Momoka got a taste of her own medicine of betrayal. Oh, we definitely needed to finish with a bathing scene, we don't want to break tradition]. The narrator talking about it only added to the comedy.

I think that was the surprising in terms of just being fun, anything could happen, and it loved to surprise you with doing exactly what it shouldn't do. Also this show is apparently a shoujo, a series actually aimed at girls, and this was perhaps shown in that it occasionally dealt with things like personal image. Even in this episode you could see when they lifted her shirt that she had a bit of flab over skirt, something you would not normally seen in shows about a group of girls, but likely quite healthy. That the show was chock full of war tropes, it would make it an anomaly. At a glance it is so easy to compare it to Girls und Panzer, Upotte, and C3-bu, the girly image makes you think it will totally be this, but it is really so much more, like a parody of those shows as much as it is of anything.

I probably have become a bit biased, not everyone would think this way, but by the end I say this show was Excellent. Not everyone will probably agree with me, most probably did not even watch this thinking that it will be yet another show of cute girls doing cute and military things. Actually it wants to make you believe it will be like that, then it goes balls deep insane with things like a spoiler[realistic crab piloting a helicopter]. Please, Please, Please let there be another show some time able to do what this did. The closest show I can think of is maybe Daily Lives of High School boys that managed to turn daily life situations right on their head.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Momoka is probably the most likable scumbag in anime.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
that was fun. it was definitely a series of hits and misses, but it was better than I thought it was going to be.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I almost blew this title off because of a bad association with Stella Girl's Academy. Thankfully, I have a policy of checking out virtually all first eppies or I would have missed this.

I agree with getchman that it was a fun hit or miss thing. I ended up rating it Good.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I just finished marathoning this series and I have to say that it was probably the funniest five or so hours that I've spent!
Ambehr79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess the anime I'd gotten into reflected my lack of desire to see blood. Anime hyper Hellsing was pure sexiness, though, so there was that. And then Shingeki no Kyojin really blew me away. Anime hyper

But as for Sabagebu -- it's gotta be the humor. Anime hyper I mean, there are spoiler alerts that boggle the mind, the characters aren't THAT common in mainstream anime [there's plenty of original things about each and every one of them], and I just appreciate the whole "It's all in their minds" while throwing in a dramatic 5-minute music scene that's actually depressing. =w=

Not to mention -- EVERYONE ISN'T BLUSHING [all the time, and I love the new 'blush-behind-the-eyes look] AND THERE ARE NO RANDOM FLESH HIGHLIGHTS when it comes to the animation!! Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
OVA 1

That was quite the ending, having spoiler[the narrator asking hopefully that the bad end vibe was just in their imaginations to the director]. Seeing Urarspoiler[a kicked in the water and eaten by the sharks] was funny, but it was kind of spoiler[shocking/distressing when there was the blood and bones at the end].

Best bit of the OVA was of course the spoiler[eels fanservicely going all over Maya, but just sliding off the other three girls].
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the ova which is really the 13th episode, went over well. it didn't take it self seriously, but was still funny. Knowing full well it was doing fanservice and making fun of the fact it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5