• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pocket App -- ANN text dropping out.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc Nix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Hello ANN techs,

I don't know if you are familiar with the Pocket app or if fixing an issue with an external app is worth your investment, but I have been using Pocket aggressively to enjoy ANN content and found a conflict in how it works with your articles.

In the standard Pocket reader view, when reading articles that have been sent to Pocket (ie on your phone), text with hyperlinks is often dropped by the app. Usually this is the name of the show/staffer (I'm actually not sure if standard hard links to other articles gets dropped?), so it could be that it's reading inner-domain links as advertisements. (The links I'm talking about are those auto-generated to connect to their objects -- strangely, I don't think it's the InfoLinks links that are cutting out, which would make sense since they'd maybe be seen as ads and the app may have an ad-block*. It is the normal Encyclopedia links that are actually breaking, and not all of them either... sometimes People names work, and I think sometimes Shows work and then don't work in the same article.)

I took a snapshot of the issue, and can share more info if needed.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0zlCZyRH2ec/VGVb3jHw8SI/AAAAAAAABXU/6r9WT-ZO4eM/w530-h942-no/ANN-On-Pocket--MISSING-CONTENT.jpg

animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2014-08-10/.77495

This happens both in the App and the Desktop version of Pocket, so you don't need to look on your phone to see what's wrong.

If the techs can look into it and it's a reasonable fix, that's be awesome. (Some photos also get filtered out of the Pocket reader, I'm not sure why that is either?) If not, so be it.

Thanks for your time!

*BTW, I'm sensitive to blocking ads in content that I read, but Pocket does require you to give a click to the site in order to Pocket-save. So, you lose the hangtime, but you do get a hit at least? ...I mainly use the app anyway because web browsers are curiously horrible for simply reading, so if there was a better way to leave a placemark in a really long and cool article that'd take multiple sittings to browse, I'd be for that. But for now, I got Pocket, and I'd love to see it work right with ANN.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
I think this is something you'll have to report to Pocket.
Marc Nix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'm doing that too -- I just figured ANN would want to know this was an issue, in case Pocket happened to be increasing as a referrer (if that info is even sent your way...)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Marc Nix wrote:
Oh, I'm doing that too -- I just figured ANN would want to know this was an issue, in case Pocket happened to be increasing as a referrer (if that info is even sent your way...)

It's really not something we can fix. For whatever reason, Pocket seems to be having a problem with the cite tag. It's a really basic tag.

I don't know about the pictures. Next time you see it happen, if you can post a screenshot an link to the article here (just like you did above) that would be great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1