• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime in Orbit

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
How could you not feature Planetes? Technically the best anime about apace conditions, probably the best series of any kind ever about being in space. Come on, who else garners NASA commentary from NASA personnel?
VinceA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It's mentioned in the middle of the article and quite lovingly. Did you mean that the article didn't focus on the show?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and a key scene where Shiro tries to force himself on the religious girl, Riquinni

You could just say "rape".
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The Wings of Honneamise is my favorite animated film, even if "that" scene is really tough to watch (I think it's meant to be, but it might not have been necessary). The amount of detail and passion for the subject put into that film is excellent and I love the world that was crafted for it. I don't know whether the planned sequel would have/will be in any way able to capture that magic, but I do sort of want to return to that world, if just for a moment.

Oh, and the space colonies in Mobile Suit Gundam (and most of UC Gundam) are O'Neill cylinders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting how Wings of Honneamise is a lot less about the exploration of space than about the political use of a space program, but I still thought that was a great movie once I finally saw it. I wasn't a big fan of a certain controversial scene though. I didn't feel it was necessary.

Although I had almost completely forgotten about it, I enjoyed the Twin Spica anime. Never read the manga though. I saw only a fraction of Moonlight Mile before moving on to other series, for whatever reason, so I'm not sure what to say about it.

There is a small controversy when it comes to the Planetes anime since some vocal manga fans dislike the differences and the use of extra comedy. Personally, I think the anime actually does some things better than the manga, not only the other way around, but I take them as solid works with their respective differences being an asset rather than a problem.

The manga is more psychological and the anime is more political, among other things, but they do ask some of the same questions and share a few wonderful moments. I'd also argue that several (admittedly not all) of the anime original episodes were great in their own right, so I think the risks they took with the adaptation were ultimately worthwhile. In the end, I believe it's a similar situation to Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 and Brotherhood, with two good options where some people will prefer one over the other.

I really should try Space Brothers after all. Thanks for reminding me to do that!
treatment

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe Mike somehow forgot to mention the tuna-scene in SDF Macross TV.

Heck!

No Cowboy Bebop mentions, either...

Sad
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Oh, and the space colonies in Mobile Suit Gundam (and most of UC Gundam) are O'Neill cylinders.

A few years ago I was reading an old magazine from the early 70's with an article on those space colonies and I was shocked Anime smile + sweatdrop I just never knew.
I also like the explosions in space. Perhaps not realistic but its different from Earth explosions at least.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Best anime in this category, definitely UCHUU KYOUDAI!! Second Moonlight Mile, third PLANETES.

Mothing beats Uchuu Kyoudai.
Raneth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Agreed on Space Brothers. It's one of my top anime.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I think most people who do know about Mighty Space Miners only know it from its use by UltraCity 6060 in the short lived Cartoon Sushi on MTV back in 1997.

And there are some incidents that show what happens to human beings exposed to zero pressure, but not total unprotected exposure to space itself. In 1966, NASA technician Jim LeBlanc was testing a possible Apollo suit design in a vacuum chamber where his air hose became disconnected, exposing him to near zero pressure. He immediately passed out, but was quickly saved by respirator wearing technicians in the semi-pressurized chamber that was between LeBlanc's chamber and the outside. LeBlanc has stated that the last thing he remembered was feeling the saliva on his tongue bubble before falling over.

A more tragic incident happened with Soyuz 11 in 1971. While preparing for reentry, a pressure valve failed at an attitude of 160 KM/104 Miles, depressurizing the crew compartment within seconds. All three men died. Biometric readings from the flight recorder on one cosmonaut showed that his heart stopped 40 seconds after the loss of pressure. The recovery crew stated that the cosmonauts faces were covered in dark blue patches, with trails of blood coming from their noses and ears.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Also, one of the video games people have been talking about lately, and generating a lot of buzz among horror fans, is Alien: Isolation, about space travel. Well, sort of.

Quote:
But Lagrange points are real—actual places where relatively small bodies can camp out in a point relatively stationary to the larger bodies around them. We'd have happy accepted “Just shut up about gravity and orbital velocity kids, we've solved those problems in the future!” but Gundam endeavored for an explanation that makes some sense.

I have yet to see any western animation show make use of Lagrangian points. That's something I noticed about anime compared to western animation: Anime does a ton more fact-checking, and until the mid-00's, anime and manga writers also seem to be incredibly knowledgeable about the topics they're writing about compared to western animation writers (and when I mean "until the mid-00's," I mean the western writers are becoming more well-versed). We have exceptions like The Simpsons and Pinky and the Brain, but for the most part, western animation had an almost antagonistic relationship with scholars.

Don't get me wrong; I am a big western animation fan--I had only wished there were more shows that did their research. I've always wondered why Japanese (and eastern, in general) fiction writers maintain friendly relationships with scholars and researchers while western fiction writers more often than not have hostile relationships. Is it because of the different school systems that create different views on knowledge in their upbringings?

Quote:
Yamaga gives us a space agency founded not as a genuine attempt to research and conquer the final frontier, but as a political stunt, to annoy and alarm the country's closest rival nation.

That sounds a lot like our mid-20th century space race, as both the United States and the Soviet Union sent stuff (and people and animals) into space in an attempt to one-up the other. I don't think anyone ever actually thought that the space race was done solely as research endeavors.
CharonCaori

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I can't stand Royal Space Force due to that sequence.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes has some cool space politics if that's your thing.

Last edited by CharonCaori on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He meets a number of eccentric weirdos in the space program too, like the inscrutable engineer Doneil Henry

His name was Deniel Young. Smile Space Brothers liked to give name and face shout-outs to a variety of cultural icons, like "Freddie Saturn," the Ghostbusters and Isaac Asimov, among many others.

Nice article. Lots of anime set in space, not so many about space.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
Honestly, I think most people who do know about Mighty Space Miners only know it from its use by UltraCity 6060 in the short lived Cartoon Sushi on MTV back in 1997.

When I read this article, I knew that character looked familiar. The infamous "blood out of his ears" moment, right?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Mike, have you ever watched the Animax Asia dub of Twin Spica? License seems to be expired, otherwise I'd expect Animax or AXN Asia to be rerunning it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4