• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wolf Girl & Black Prince (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Bugnin wrote:
Nobody is saying he's doing it well. But his intentions are pretty pure.

I find that hard to believe. there has been no indication that he has been out to help her except for when he has seen her in trouble in front of him, and even that could be muddied if it is just out of a sense of possession.

Although I pretty much agree with almost everything Bugnin wrote I think the "pure" remark is hard to get behind because I think Kyouya is too confused and immature to really be pure. Since he is almost always composed it is easy to see that as stability and maturity but the interplay is all about showing the cracks in that facade.

What I think DP is missing here is it is Erika, not Kyouya, that is driving the relationship. She has given him the power to dictate terms when she didn't have to. From the very first 90 seconds of the show she was her own victim and her friend and Kyouya both saw that, then TOLD her about it, but she is still determined to pursue the course she is on.

Also I think it is a mistake to assume that Kyouya really knows what he is doing with regards to her. He has a strong idea and is pretty aware of her character flaw. I actually give him credit for not falling into her trap and let her cling to him more than she does. But pretty clearly she is beginning to have an effect on him that he did not expect or even see happening (that was the predictable track for the story) and his friend even tells him about it and he is in denial.

Overall, a good rom anime with plenty to say and even more to mis-interpret.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Well, I guess not one but two spoiler[kisses this episode made up for the awkward moments between Seta and Erika. Anyways, I knew she would probably go back to him eventually. That other shy guy might of been nice and all but he is not her soulmate.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Kusakabe-Kyoya talk made Erika make her decision.
It's wasn't an easy one either..
So she decided to give spoiler[Kusakabe a try.]
Their relationship is going just fine too.
Although she seems to be spoiler[forcing herself.
That encounter with Kyouya in the infirmary]
was intense.
The spoiler[White Day date was great until she dropped a bomb on Kusakabe.]
Guess she likes being spoiler[Kyouya's dog] after all..
Wow! spoiler[Did not expect that episode end.
Was about time too!!]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! A spoiler[kiss half through a season and not in the end?]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I swear I have never seen a more thorough and deep friendzoning as what we just witnessed in this Episode 7. It isn't like we weren't expecting it but jeez. But at least Erika for once listened to San and did something right. She spoiler[didn't drag it out.]

Believe it or not I think spoiler[Kusakabe] can do better. Erika very likely gave him the experience he needed to move forward in that regard. Another thing she actually did right.

So I guess you can spoiler[level up from dog to girlfriend] after all. Not that she has done it yet but apparently it is possible.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I think she's only leveled up from dog chained in the back yard to lapdog in the house. Well, maybe not in the house, but at least a carpet on the front porch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I liked Erika in this episode. It is not that she spoiler[disliked Kusakabe, but she just was not interested in him in that way], which you could notice spoiler[she was kind of pretending]. She gave it a go, spoiler[but she was honest with him and did not give false hope]. She also made spoiler[Kyouya be forward instead of just expecting her to be dragged around].

Although it was not without help. San made spoiler[Erika realise that she might have started to pull the same thing on Kusakabe that she was upset about]. And Takeru spoiler[shouted some sense into Kyouya].
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

It'll be curious to see if that spoiler[new guy will make a serious move on Erika.]

Kinda fun episode to watch though considering spoiler[Sata/Erika has a new problem now and this could go out of hand (like that ending?) if that Kamiya guy intends to break them up. The feeding scene was adorable though.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Spring break & 1st date with Kyouya since his confession.
He wasn't in a romantic mood at all..
Erika sure was blindly persistent.
Even though they are a real couple, nothing changed.
It took her most of the date to realize it.
Guess they have different opinions of what a date should be.
Yet again she adapted to his wishes. Kinda sad.
From time to time he seems to be trying, but it's very slow & little.
Sata got some male competition in his new class.
That should make things interesting.
Kamiya is a total player and a problem.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
It'll be curious to see if that spoiler[new guy will make a serious move on Erika.]

I don't think so.

However I think Erika is actually making some progress as painfully tiny as it is. Not only does Kyoya like typical dating stuff but he doesn't seem to like anything. What does he do all day with his time and doe he have no urge to do anything at all?

I hope that Erika realizes that in order to get anywhere she is going to find out just what it is he does like. No good clues from this episode he is just moody all the time.

It was nice that he made a little concession into doing what she would like. That's the think about him just when you think there is no hope he shows just a glimmer.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
As much as it pains me to say it, I was totally in Kyouya's corner this episode. I hate all that lovey-dovey crap she was trying to rope him into, and he was exactly right about her "playing at dating," instead of just enjoying the day with him (which would actually have been more enjoyable for them both without her constant pressure to check off the to-do-on-a-date list). While he's more rude about it than I would be, it seems to take that sort of bluntness to get anything through to her. His concession with the food was a huge thing.

I still don't like that he still seems to think of her as his possession, and only gets emotionally roused when his property rights are threatened by outsiders, but at least it's something, I guess.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
What I took was that they both can't force their idea of what to do, they have to know the other's limits and push themselves with some things.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
As much as it pains me to say it, I was totally in Kyouya's corner this episode. I hate all that lovey-dovey crap she was trying to rope him into, and he was exactly right about her "playing at dating," instead of just enjoying the day with him (which would actually have been more enjoyable for them both without her constant pressure to check off the to-do-on-a-date list). While he's more rude about it than I would be, it seems to take that sort of bluntness to get anything through to her. His concession with the food was a huge thing.

To be fair, she's completely new to dating and she has misconceptions of how it is mostly because of other couples giving bad examples. I think he was more in the wrong being so stubborn and unfriendly while she was just a bit pushy.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
I think both of them were in the wrong in the situation, two extremely opposite sides. Erika was being way too pushy with her "to-do-checklist" even after Kyoya repeatedly said he didn't feel comfortable with it (the "feeding your boyfriend" scenario was killing me with embarrassment), but Kyoya too was being unnecessarily anal about some things. He already took a selfie with Erika for Christmas, was it so bloody hard to take another one? Holding her hand a little wouldn't have killed him either

I think they need to find some reasonable middle ground, BOTH of them need to make some concessions for this to work. Erika should know already that Kyoya hates cliché romance stuff and she shouldn't push him so hard, but rather take it slowly, one step at a time. Instead of trying to force him into 20 stupid activities she should've focused on clearing just one simpler task. Maybe even offer to go home if he agrees to hold her hand for 5 minutes or smth. And Kyoya should know that Erika has been spoon-fed with all the commercial romance clichés ever made and he needs to be a little more patient with her. Stand his ground "I'm not comfortable with this", but not be a total dick about it. Once again, taking a bloody selfie will not kill you (it would've been a simpler compromise than being fed takoyaki)

I did like that they both apologized to each other, I think it was a very positive step that they both realized they were in the wrong
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they both seemed to realise they need to compromise; Erika not pushing Kyoya into doing all that mushy crap which he's clearly not comfortable with, and Kyoya actually being a little nice to Erika. Kyoya's "playing at dating" comment was definitely spot on though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7