• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Underground/Art/Alternative Manga Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimpac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Racebit wrote:
When Jimpac talked about small books I thought he meant the number of pages, but they are both 190x135mm!!!
Are we supposed to read using magnifiers?

When I said small, I did mean the page count (although I think the Matsumoto one is longer, I don't have a copy yet). But, I guess the actual size is smaller than a lot of manga, especially the gekiga released by Drawn and Quarterly, Picturebox etc. Still, I didn't find it had a negative effect and, as mentioned, in the Hooded Utilitarian article, the risograph printing/production really enhances the book.
These releases are definitely worth supporting. It looks like Breakdown will become major players in the alt-manga publishing business. I'm especially excited about the Sasaki Maki book they will be releasing next year, which I believe will be a proper book rather than a risograph pamphlet.

Fei Temp Reparatio wrote:
So there's a new Kickstarter campaign to get some more Tezuka published. Unfotunately, given the $380,000 goal and the fact that the lowest pledge to get physical books is $150 for two volumes, I can't see this one coming near its goal let alone its stretch goals.

I would have liked to have backed this campaign but it is just too ridiculous and, I think, bound for failure. The $380,000 only covers the first two series as well. They want $589,000 to release all 6 series.

Next year, another company, Image, who I don't think have previously released any manga, will be dipping their toe into the alt-manga world by releasing Ken Niimura's Henshin. I don't know much about this work but I think it was initially published in Ikki Magazine. Will definitely be investigating it further.
GSam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote
The Tezuka kickstarter failed, to little surprise. I wonder what happens next.
racebit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Flowering Harbour has sold out at Breakdown Press. I am not sure if Breakdown Press makes second editions. If they do it would be nice to make it larger size (240x170 or 265x190 like many of their other books).
And Maki Sasaki to be out very soon, as planned (begin 2015). Now it will get serious with a full size book and 200 pages Smile
Glad to see things are going well for Breakdown Press, with many titles sold out.

Also from Ryan Holmberg (translation and editing), it is coming soon Trash Market by Tadao Tsuge, which I have already pre-ordered together with the 4th and last volume of Mizuki Showa.

racebit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Breakdown Press is readying a second edition of Flowering Harbor for the next weeks.
Sasaki Maki is confirmed for April, also at Breakdown Press.
I just hope they start giving the same size treatment to manga books that they do to their other books, 190mm tall is too small.

D&Q plan seems to be one alternative manga book every quarter. This quarter is Trash Market by Tadao Tsuge. Second Quarter is 4th and final volume of Showa by Mizuki. I read that a second volume of Kitaro is in the plan so may that may be 3rd quarter.
Although I am a fan of Mizuki, I don't care about Kitaro, so that may be a lost quarter to me... but if D&Q keeps the 4 books per year plan, it will be great.
GSam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Finally managed to get a copy of the last volume of Summit of the Gods. Can't wait to read it.

Recently read Tadao Tsuge's Trash Market. Honestly though, his comicking really isn't that strong compared to others of the same era or his brother. What I think he is good at is using his words, which shows through even the translated dialogue. I really wish I could read his written work as opposed to his comics. The essay at the end was a nice bonus.
Land Stander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Very cool topic - though I thought I knew something about it, I see a lot of titles that I was not familiar with. I am tempted to start at the beginning of the thread, and compile all the manga and other comix titles.

For now I got a lot of back readin' to do, then be back here for a discussion, so hope somebody will join me.
mingus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
GSam wrote:
I really wish I could read his written work as opposed to his comics. The essay at the end was a nice bonus.

same here. ironically, that essay had the best artwork in the book, too.
racebit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Starting today Breakdown Press new book from Sasaki Maki is available on online store: http://www.breakdownpress.com/store/
It is also listed at amazon, but not yet on stock.

I am not so much on Sasaki Maki, but I did buy Flowering Harbour and Man Next Door, both of which I like a lot. They are both sold out, although Flowering Harbour had a very recent second edition. It seems it sold well.

But it seems that there will be another two new great alt-manga books from Breakdown Press, listed at Amazon for February and March releases, although not a mention yet from Breakdown Press:
Red Red Rock And Other Stories from Seiichi Hayashi (Red Colored Elegy)
Fukushima Devil Fish: Anti-Nuclear Manga from Katsumata Susumu (Red Snow)

A few related articles from Ryan Holmberg, translator and editor:
http://www.tcj.com/back-to-the-avant-garde-sasaki-makis-nonsense/
http://www.tcj.com/enka-gekiga-hayashi-seiichis-pop-music-manga/
http://www.tcj.com/proto-gekiga-matsumoto-masahikos-komaga/
http://www.tcj.com/the-fukui-eiichi-incident-and-the-prehistory-of-komaga-gekiga/

and another one about the three already edited books:
http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2014/10/anti-manga-the-anti-classics-way/
Land Stander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
These are exciting developments from Breakdown Press. Though I missed out on Flowering Harbour and Man Next Door.

I pre-ordered these;
Quote:
Red Red Rock And Other Stories from Seiichi Hayashi (Red Colored Elegy)
Fukushima Devil Fish: Anti-Nuclear Manga from Katsumata Susumu (Red Snow)

As well as Cigarette Girl
jimpac

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote
I've got Red, Red Rock and it's really stunning. I would definitely recommend it. I think it contains better stories than the Picture Box book (Gold Pollen). For those who don't have a copy I think D&Q should be rereleasing a paperback edition of Red Coloured Elegy in the Fall. I think it may have anew afterword/essay from Ryan Holmberg as well.

Later today I'm going to go and get my copy of Cigarette Girl by Masahiko Matsumoto! Really looking forward to seeing it. Only been waiting five years for it!
Land Stander

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
Cool. Very excited about Cigarette Girl. Maybe Amazon will have it soon.
Land Stander

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:25 am Reply with quote
I just received an interesting anthology called The Tipping Point published by Humanoids, which is a publisher of European comics in English. The concept was to ask a variety of European, American and Japanese artists to present a story about a time when something either small or big dramatically changed.

There are 13 brief-ish stories and 5 of them are from a veritable Who's Who of Japanese manga.
Taiyo Matsumoto - Hanako's Fart (10 pages)
Atsushi Kaneko - Screwed (8 pages)
Naoki Urasawa - Solo Mission (8 pages)
Keiichi Koike - Fish (10 pages) - wordless story
Katsuya Terada - Tengu (6 pages) - wordless story

All of the stories are in color, with the Japanese stories looking more like Euro comics than usual - reminding me somewhat of the color manga anthology "Robot" of 10 years ago.

Unusual and very satisfying.
Land Stander

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Another interesting find popped in my mail this week;

Tank Tankuro by Gajo Sakamoto

http://www.amazon.com/Tank-Tankuro-Slipcased-Hardcover-Sakamoto/dp/4903090248/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1464311416&sr=1-1

The comics are unique and fit in well with the GARO classics being brought back by Drawn & Quarterly, and Breakdown press but the lesser known publisher may have kept it from being seen by the likes of us.

First class printing - hard cover slip case, gorgeous cover design by genius Chris Ware,
horseradish

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Land Stander wrote:
Another interesting find popped in my mail this week;

Tank Tankuro by Gajo Sakamoto

http://www.amazon.com/Tank-Tankuro-Slipcased-Hardcover-Sakamoto/dp/4903090248/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1464311416&sr=1-1

The comics are unique and fit in well with the GARO classics being brought back by Drawn & Quarterly, and Breakdown press but the lesser known publisher may have kept it from being seen by the likes of us.

First class printing - hard cover slip case, gorgeous cover design by genius Chris Ware,

That's what it was! Shocked I was at a large used bookstore a few months ago and noticed Tank Tankuro on the one manga shelf in the graphic novels section. I usually recognize the titles, but I had absolutely no idea what it was when I picked up the slipcase and skimmed through the contents. Couldn't read the slanted title and thought it was in a strange language I never saw before...knowing that Chris Ware designed the cover makes much more sense now. Never heard of Presspop.

Since I didn't know what it was, I left it on the shelf. I came back a week later and it was gone to my surprise. I thought it was bizarre that this manga was ever released in English. I should've gotten it in retrospect!

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Land Stander

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I have some Jim Woodring artifact from Presspop but otherwise I don't know them. May be worth checking their past releases more carefully. Anyway, I have stopped thinking slightly over-priced works should be a hindrance for deserving manga, as I see that sightly older hard to find manga can really skyrocket. Been going back to pick up what I missed the last few years and the older prices are cringe-worthy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 85 of 88