• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Lie in April (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
It also looks like Kousei is going to get some high level competition soon. Can't wait for next episode!

The two unnamed kids that appear up in the opening credits are finally introduced. It looks like they are past rivals that are looking for revenge. Could Kōsei actually be up to it? Given this anime's story style it is by no means a sure thing.

I want to see more Kaori violin playing though. Aside from that kudos to her for pushing Kōsei into playing again and even taking the competition seriously. It is possible nobody else could have done it.

About the Tsubaki thing. Given how intimate she has been with Kōsei ever since toddlerhood I am surprised she is actually developing romantic feelings for him. I would have thought it would have felt more like incest -- typically people brought up that close just aren't set up to think of each other that way. Normally.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Well it looks like someone realised they were being a bit harsh, Kaori seems to have softened a little.

If Tsubaki is interested in him, which she totally is, why doesn't she just do something about it instead letting it eat her up?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If Tsubaki is interested in him, which she totally is, why doesn't she just do something about it instead letting it eat her up?

Because anime.

Actually I thought it was not a bad development that she had decided to start going out with that older guy and that he we aware enough to realize she was fixated on Kōsei. Not earthshaking but a nice little bit of plot writing.
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I have to say this is the prettiest looking anime this season (when it doesn't go into the random super deform mode) but for some reasons I can't get into the characters or story. I'm still following it for the pretty. I kind of started to like the childhood friend girl a little bit but then now she's starting to like the main guy who is pining for dream girl (just when I thought I didn't have to deal with this triangle crap.) Can she just go out with senpai and be happy and let the musicians do their thing and be happy? I thought moral of the story is baseball people date baseball people and music people date music people because only music people can get music people. They're kinda special.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well it looks like someone realised they were being a bit harsh, Kaori seems to have softened a little.

Strong armed tactics turned to coaxing? Not really; This episode wasn't about her so she didn't have that much meddling to do. Still, you got to love the scene where she storms Kousei's apartment and tells him how much his piano means to him.

Tsubaki's worried about how Kousei feels about Kaori. Likely, if she brought it up now, she's think he'd shoot her right down simply because she isn't Kaori. She probably isn't that far off.

I liked the last episode, showcasing the shifting dynamics in Tsubaki's and Kousei's relationship. If there are parallels, I wonder if there's a scene where Kousei cried on Tsubaki's shoulder {I'm pretty sure there would be one and pretty sure why he would have, too. But that would be cutting too close to the main obstacle of the series, right?}

The rivals? Isn't it too early for them to be renewing old feuds? Just from a name in a paper; "We haven't heard from you in years but there's no question that your skills are not only the same but better."
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
^Yeah, I didn't get that, either. Is Kousei's breakdown during a performance so secret? I'm surprised anyone sees him as a threat.

This anime is so frustrating. I want to like it, but the way it's treating psychological scarring from trauma and abuse as something that can be cured by pushing and a stubborn insistence to "get over it" is nauseating. It's a wonder to me how emotional trauma could be so sensitively portrayed (Arima's "drowning," flashbacks, and seeing his dead mother there), and yet brutally disregarded ("you're just making an excuse") in the same piece of fiction. It's disturbing. I don't blame Kaori's character but the original mangaka for writing deeply about a psychological struggle and then writing how others can "fix" it in the worst, most unrealistic way possible.

For Kaori's part, if she is lying about being ill, remember that illness has a lot of stigma to it, even physical illness, especially if it's potentially fatal. So I don't blame her for wanting to keep that secret, and wouldn't think of her as a liar.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Just to add to some of the Tsubaki discussion... one of the things that slightly irks me was spoiler[if i recall, Kaori specifically asks Tsubaki how she feels about Kousei. Although I feel bad for Tsubaki i kind of have a hard time with it because she told Kaori that Kousei was just a brother to her. ]

I also dunno how I feel about Watari either because spoiler[ a few episodes ago he also seemed to give indication that Kousei was better for Kaori or that Kousei should be there instead of him. Then Watari goes off to be a player and just jumps back in like nothing changed. It's just kinda annoying seeing Kousei be like "the girl my friend likes". ]

Overall though, really enjoying this show.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
And then there was episode 7- we really need to get some perspective on Kousei's mother. Sure, she told him she spoiler[abandoned his pet cat] but he didn't see it and I wouldn't put it past her, of what I've learned about her, to eliminate any threat to Kousei's success directly.

And then, there's what she said about Kousei's "rivals"... where they could hear her.

Apart from teaching the piano, she has no known positives. And since her piano teaching was focused mostly on her son, that probably doesn't even count.

And then there's the secondary question: spoiler[Is insanity hereditary? Because Kousei's talking to his presumably dead but certainly imaginary cat and as anime has taught us before, that never ends well.]

He needs professional psychiatric care and that's not even on the usual "main character has problems he'll work out" level. Not even close to what he started with, panic attacks and guilt. I mean, wow...

Oh and the rivals show up and the competition starts- but I don't think that really matters compared to the rest of it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Pretty good episode with the buildup. spoiler[Emi makes an appearance and we already get a small glimpse of her childhood. I can't wait to see her performance on stage soon tbh]. The upcoming performances should be quite something to look forward to.

And as for spoiler[Kousei, he still struggles with his personal issues from the past. He does have Kaori's support though in the present. Still, I hope he gets over it soon and move on to build a brighter future for himself.]

Also, too bad about spoiler[Ryouta. I was hoping he would score that goal but oh well....]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
"You are you."

*long stare*

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

^ What didn't actually happen. So close... one of these days.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Pretty good episode with the buildup.

I would say better than that: magnificent.

Before this episode I was feeling that how could this be a competition -- Kousei is nothing but a bundle of self doubt and the two other kids are coming off a championship win and brimming with confidence.

Apparently not the case. O wise one 14-year-old Kaori was right all along. Each episode I think more that Kaori is the best thing that ever happened to Kousei's short life.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Pretty good episode with the buildup.

I would say better than that: magnificent.

Before this episode I was feeling that how could this be a competition -- Kousei is nothing but a bundle of self doubt and the two other kids are coming off a championship win and brimming with confidence.

Apparently not the case. O wise one 14-year-old Kaori was right all along. Each episode I think more that Kaori is the best thing that ever happened to Kousei's short life.

I was hoping that would happen, too. Such an overused pop psychology anime cliche.

Talking about pop psychology, while I agree that Kousei could really use professional help and he was obviously traumatized by his mother's spoiler[abandoning his pet cat, talking to the cat is just a literary device symbolizing his guilt, not a sign of inherited insanity.]

I'm also worried about Kousei's rivals, especially the boy. spoiler[He really gave up an opportunity to go to Europe just to play against the boy who just publicly screwed up?! I know the author wants us to buy that this is a long standing rivalry, but] either news and reputations spread around the classical music world, or they don't. Kaori specifically said that the classical music world is small, and any kid who plays an instrument in town knows all about Kousei. If that's true, than every kid and judge at this competition should be aware that A. Kousei hasn't played at a competition in years; and B. The last two times he played piano in public, he screwed up. No one should think he has a chance of winning, let alone see him as a threat.

Otherwise, it was a good episode. I really felt the tension in that waiting area. I practically got nauseous for those kids (especially Kousei). It was brutal.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
A. Kousei hasn't played at a competition in years; and B. The last two times he played piano in public, he screwed up. No one should think he has a chance of winning, let alone see him as a threat.

What this episode was all about was how the perceptions of the players lie on top of the reality. What they see is not what you see and more importantly what you would expect them to see.

Takeshi (the spiky haired boy who was champion last yer) and Emi (the alluring and mecurical girl) both see Kōsei as something he is not. It really bugs both of them that he doesn't even seem to notice them. Not even looking their way much less remembering their names. They (everyone) knows that Kōsei has been dominated by his mother into performing like a machine but they don't realize how deeply that training was imprinted on him to the point that he doesn't focus on anything else.

It makes the case that Kaori has to drop-kick him and Tsubaki has to throw him off a bridge just to get a simple point across. It also gives some insight into what is going wrong with him -- part of him actually grew to the point that he can't hear the notes that the robot part of him is playing.

However the reverse was also demonstrated. To Kōsei it looked like Takeshi was striding to the stage with a sense of dominance. You would never know that he was throwing up in the bathroom a few minutes ago. As O Wise One 14-year old Kaori said: "We get up there anyway."
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
A. Kousei hasn't played at a competition in years; and B. The last two times he played piano in public, he screwed up. No one should think he has a chance of winning, let alone see him as a threat.

This, and there is no indication that he gets over his problem. Even Kaori said he is just average right now. Their goal is not about winning the competition anyway.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

That was spoiler[beautiful play from both of our new players in the show. I thought Emi was the better though with her red dress, skill, and feelings she put into playing that piano.]

Arima, you got some serious competition now buddy.

And lol, I can't help but laugh at spoiler[Ryouta again for falling for another pretty girl.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12