• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubtitles (again) on the U.S. BD for Princess Mononoke?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
I saw this on DVDtalk's review:

Quote:
Originally released on Region 1 DVD back in 2000 by Miramax, Princess Mononoke was delayed the first time around after fans complained about the lack of a Japanese audio track, which was included (along with properly translated subtitles) at the last minute. Almost 15 year later, someone forgot to remind Disney about those subtitles...because we're treated to separate DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio tracks in Japanese and English...but the only subtitles available seem to replicate the English dub. This is a definitely a missed opportunity (and a deal-breaker for some), but the A/V improvements are substantial and we also get a few "new" bonus features from various international DVD releases over the years. So this is far from a definitive release...but aside for the subtitle snafu, it's an improvement across the board.

But I've yet to see anyone else on the internet mention it. Not here, not Reddit, not on the Disney DVD forums - nothing. I would imagine that fans would be melting down over this. . . but nothing.

Is this guy smoking weed or did Disney slip one past us?

[EDIT: Made the the thread title a little more concise and less long-winded. -TK]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
But I've yet to see anyone else on the internet mention it. Not here, not Reddit, not on the Disney DVD forums - nothing. I would imagine that fans would be melting down over this. . . but nothing.

Is this guy smoking weed or did Disney slip one past us?

Well to be fair its only been out 2 days not counting the pre-orders that people got early. Also, I already knew because Zac twittered about this previously and the FandomPost Forums has picked it up. Blu-ray forums also seem to be aware of it. Now how much of an outcry will happen? Who knows? I was ticked off at AnchorBay's poor audio and mangled subtitles on Ghost in the Shell's 25th Anniversary and except for a few people the internet did not rise in rebellion to punish them. Maybe they will for PM, but as I understand it there's been some changes to a few other Disney releases of Ghibli stuff and the outcry again hasn't been enough that a studio can just ignore it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
The Japanese Blu-ray has English subtitles. Are they different (better) than the ones on this Disney release?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
This one will be coming up at some point during the ongoing Ghibli Blu-Ray Review-a-thon, so I'm sure that reviewer (I think Hope is doing it?) should fill us in about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The Japanese Blu-ray has English subtitles. Are they different (better) than the ones on this Disney release?

It has a brand new set of ENG subtitles. Little tidbit: there are two options for JP subtitles; one proper and one made to suit the ENG dub (DUBtitles?) the added dialog is interesting.

No "this soup tastes like donkey piss" its something like "this gruel tastes like hot water" during the village scene at 15:00.

My buddy came by last night and we compared both discs. If you are wondering about a specific line we can retrieve them for you just let me know here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1