• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Just report any posts that need tagging, and I'll try to keep an eye on 'em. I don't care if I get spoiler'd, anymore..

I'm also aware of the whole controversy behind the various fans and their levels of fandom for the franchise and all its iterations. So feel free to report/point out when the discussions in this thread start to deviate, feel alienating, etc.

I'm willing to sacrifice story spoilage for the sake of community cohesion.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 6: Mainly a talking episode, but next week should be fun:

spoiler[ Archer's little chat with Shirou at the beginning is familiar, but I can't remember if the themes put forward here were at this particular point in the story. It does appear at this point his memory of who he is and what he wants is more or less restored. ]

spoiler[ Shirou's little sojourn with Tousaka at the library appears to be new. They did a run around the school looking for seals in an equivalent scene for the first anime, but this one is much more understated in its purpose. ]

spoiler[Caster's threads are well done, very convincing as a tool to bring the sleepwalking Shirou to Ryuudouji. She's got too much lipstick/fuller lips than I expected for the character design though. ]

spoiler[A nice touch mentioning one of Caster's class abilities, the formation of a home base and resolution of the cause of the multiple "gas poisonings" and mass murders in the town. ]

spoiler[Kojirou's design and weapon look good, going by the trailer for next week Saber vs. Assassin looks to be a cracker. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Well that was interesting. I mean, they revealed spoiler[Caster and another servant in the latest episode. I think Saber might have some trouble fighting the other one while Shirou has to deal with Caster.]

I'm excited to see the upcoming fight involving spoiler[Saber again. Also, it seems like Shinji is hiding something as well.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

As expected, viewers are treated to spoiler[Saber vs. Assassin part 1 ] and spoiler[Archer vs. Caster ].

The only difference I could see from the original novel for the battle was spoiler[Assassin's Tsubame Gaeshi. I seem to remember he did it coming down the stairs so only 2 out of the 3 strikes connected allowing Saber to survive. Here she gets all 3 but somehow avoided them all with only minor injuries. ]

Also, there's a small bonus in spoiler[Archer vs. Assassin. Both Saber and Shirou analyse Archer's moves with Saber concluding Archer's sword style is Western. But I remember that was from Saber's first encounter with Archer and not from the battle against Assassin. ] I'm probably wrong, but the few seconds of footage felt like a neat extra. I wonder if the producers played Unlimited Codes to produce that little scene.

Next episode trailer looks like spoiler[Rider vs. Archer + Saber ], I wonder how the producers will go about it.

All in all, very high quality animation especially with the sword action and Caster's spoiler[bolts of death. ].
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Great episode imo. It had the action I was looking forward to for both spoiler[Caster vs. Archer and Assassin vs. Saber. I think Shirou needs to be a bit careful when he gets involved with these fights. Well, he does declare himself to train to be a better fighter so we'll see his progress soon.]

spoiler[Archer impressed me quite a bit in his fight as well as Assassin from the latest episode.]

Lol @ the spoiler["idiot talk".] I just found that priceless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Lol @ the spoiler["idiot talk".] I just found that priceless.

Yeah but only one of the two is really an idiot. I find anime characters that are all 100% true noble ideals and 0% pragmatic tiresome. And this particular one should have been dead 50 times over were it not for the magnanimity of those who are supposed to be killing him.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

spoiler[Exit stage left for Rider. The blood fort Andromeda is really well done, as is Rider's final scene. ]

The scene didn't show, but I wonder if spoiler[the scar on Sakura's left wrist is still there. I doubt that little detail will be repeated hereafter. ]

Scenes like this give Kotomine good grounds for spoiler[whining about this role in the Grail War in Carnival Phantasm. How on earth do you cover the scars in the ground and holes in the wall to a "gas explosion"?]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Good episode although I actually felt spoiler[somewhat bad for Rider at the end there. It seems that Shirou, Rin, and Saber managed to survive against that blood spell this episode though.]

At the same time, spoiler[Shinji is revealed as the master of Rider, a revelation that I didn't find surprising in the bit least.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
So why didn't Rin take spoiler[Shinji's] command seals? I thought that was part of the game.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
So why didn't Rin take spoiler[Shinji's] command seals? I thought that was part of the game.

spoiler[ It might be because he was actually telling the truth and he doesn't have any to steal. As to why, the other arcs in the source material give the explanation which won't be featured in this arc. ]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Rider's character felt a bit wasted here. I feel I didn't even get to know her to care about her ultimate fate...oh well.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Rider's character felt a bit wasted here. I feel I didn't even get to know her to care about her ultimate fate...oh well.

Don't worry. spoiler[You'll get to see more of her in Heaven's Feel.]
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

It's the visual novel format. A number of characters, Rider among them, have more exposure in other routes. I would criticize shafting her if this were the only adaptation, but Heaven's Feel "theatrical edition" is also coming, so this show and that one should be seen as a single entity.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was in Kotomine's exposition (it is in the VN, at least, but I thought it was in this anime as well), but defeated Masters can try to make a new contract with another servant as long as they have command seals.

Basically, any unpaired Master or Servant (either through death of partner, or the Master running out of Command Seals) can repartner with another Master or Servant, as long as the Master still has Command Seals. Which is why Masters who have their Servants defeated are still considered threats, and are told to go to the Church for protection.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was in Kotomine's exposition (it is in the VN, at least, but I thought it was in this anime as well), but defeated Masters can try to make a new contract with another servant as long as they have command seals.

Basically, any unpaired Master or Servant (either through death of partner, or the Master running out of Command Seals) can repartner with another Master or Servant, as long as the Master still has Command Seals. Which is why Masters who have their Servants defeated are still considered threats, and are told to go to the Church for protection.

That's true, but that's even more reason to take Shinji's seals to prevent that. However forcibly taking some one's seals also involves ripping out magic circuits, which is extremely painful. Rin acts tough but I don't think she'd be to go that far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 38