• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natchu96

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Kigosh wrote:
But again I have to say: based on the information and dialogs the show gave us so far, I am still lead to the conclusion that it wants to sell us, organ transplantation makes ones Psycho-Pass clear. Why? Well jesuOtaku posted the Screenshot. If the smartest person of the show says “transplanting a lot of one`s organs is like transplanting one`s Psycho-Pass” than I have no other choice than to believe he is saying the truth. In this sentence there is not much room left for interpretation. And if there was, the show has to give as something to base our interpretation on, which it does not.

Here is an exert Psycho-Pass on the Wikipedia page: "The Sibyl System is actively measuring the populace's mental states, personalities, and the probability that individuals will commit crimes, using a "cymatic scan" of the brain. The resulting assessment is called a Psycho-Pass."

From this you can see that the Psycho-Pass is a profile since a personality would not be quantifiable without extensive observation, and was why Akane was able to become an Investigator. The scans don't just go by face and retina, it also checks other parts of their bodies to make sure that someone did not just steal a face, or that they could perhaps identify someone if they were found dead. They change out large portions of the body so that biologically the scan pick them out as most that person, most likely including a remodelling of the bone structure. There is a problem that there are some they may not be able to change out and the system might realise something wrong.

The hue is the level of mental stability and is one part of what makes their Psycho-Pass, and if they could keep it clear through drugs then they could avoid suspicion. By keeping the hue clear, that is the that portion of what makes the Psycho-Pass, the scans will rule out small discrepancies of the scan as a margin of error, and so the person takes on the donor's Psycho-Pass including history with personality and career prospects.

You say the show failed to express the meaning, but I understand it perfectly. The "Psycho-Pass" refers to both the record, and parts that make up that record, organs are one way the system identifies as well as the record itself, thus the confusion. I am sure there are many words that can have confusing meanings too, maybe "name" that can mean both a designative word or a reputation.

Hell, a lot of words in many languages have multiple definitions that barely have anything to do with each other. And Psycho-Pass is a technical term no less. I've heard enough of those in high school alone to notice how often those get re-used for superficially similar but fundamentally different things. "Psycho-Pass" screams that it's an umbrella term for all these measurements.

And they really could only check what most of the organs were, I agree. For all we know they can do skeletal or muscle transplants, maybe even have regrafted all of the skin. Brain transplants would be a bit too absurd, but they do have this whole room of brain jars downstairs that are somehow still alive after all this time. That, and the cyborg guy. The organs can easily be mismatched for medical purposes, all they can do is look for consistency. If I was Sibyl and I see this guy's skin is all wrong but at least the heart, lungs, and all the guts inside it say that he's Person A, and move on to the other couple million people I have to look through on a daily basis.
Sjided

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
When I watched the reveal about the organ thing it was so stupid I thought it was a carelessly dubbed line. Going into this season, I expected a drop in quality. Urobuchi wasn't doing the writing and he'd always meant for it to have only one season anyway. Still, while the first episodes were rough, there were some interesting things going on. I really wanted to see what Akane's relationship to Sybill would be after the events of season one. Would they cooperate frequently in the tense way they did when they went after Makashima? Would Akane undermine Sybill from the inside? Kamui seemed like he had the potential to be a better villain than Makashima too. At least he didn't talk in quotes... and his emotional nature made him more relate able. And Kogami was gone. Sorry Kogami fans, but I thought he was a boring, generic "badass" character. The only characterization he had was someone pointing a dominator at him and reading his crime coefficient a few times and noting it was climbing. Even though Kogami's behavior never changed at all as his crime coefficient rose... What did I get for giving season 2 a chance? Well, the most interesting character Akane, who really came into her own in season 1, has been reduced to a insecure mess with an unhealthy obsession for her one true love, Kogami and alternately kills people when she has to or agonizes over killing criminals because the plot says so. Ginoza, the second most interesting character for me, has been shunted into the background and every once in a while appears to badger Akane about how she has take it easy like an overprotective parent. Yayoi is yayoi, she's always been there to just fill out the team except for that one episode about her in season one. The new characters are flat, Shimotsuki is useless and annoying, Sho barely gets any attention, Tougane is evil in a cartoony way. The scene with Shisui with an eye patch and Kamui leaving on a boat made me cringe. It looked like a bad James Bond movie. And Saiga, what happened to Saiga? He went from this expert profiler smart guy to this guy pretending to be smart that only looks that way because everyone around him is a moron. Organ transplants to change your psycho pass or Id? Doesn't matter which, its idiotic either way. On the whole, its pretty terrible as a series. I'll keep watching it though. Its entertaining enough at least.
[/spoiler]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
don't worry, everything is happenning inside a witch's barrier.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And who is the guy getting drugs at the end of the episode???

Are you afraid it's Kogami or someone? Razz

No, I think Kogami is the rogue brain. Wink

It's just that his face was framed in a way that made me feel like I was supposed to recognize him, and I didn't, so it's bugging me, and no one will tell me if he's a new face or not. If he's new, I still don't know what I was supposed to get out of that shot.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Sexy time must have been subpar if Shion is reading about Sho's background right after they finish.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
The only way I can see the twist working is that somehow the Psycho-pass scanning works through DNA so it just reads a bunch of people and then shorts out or something....

Actually no that still doesn't work with how Sibyl works....

Oh well the movie looks cool and handling potentially controversial themes. Wheee spoiler[Psychopass: International Politics Edition].

Haven't had the time to catch up on the series... guess I'm not going to.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
If you didn't like the original, you're probably not going to like this second season either. Compared to original, the show is sort of a trainwreck at this point, but it's an entertaining one at least. On the other hand, if you were ok with Cross Ange then you'll be fine watching this Smile

I am NOT ok with Fukuda´s latest train-explosion and way worse people put their hands in her already. Just go it´s review page when the show ends to read my "glowing" writeup based on my reading of it´s 4chan thread but i have posted a tiny bit there allready if you want to learn about my esoteric experiment.
I do not dislike season 1 of PP(i gave it a decent) and am glad that serious show still get made and have money put behind them so that is GOOD but it felt a bit too unsophisticated after a while(all the canon manga spinoffs are shonen after all but that means nothing). It just had better ideas then execution and some of the dumbest cops in anime.
Person of Interest(it got realy good after a while) and Gits Arise(the manga tie-in is even better !) had to fill my Cuberpunk void instead.'Wink'.
If this season though is as fun(?) or devise is the cyberspace tells me then i am willing to give season 2 a go. Which episode do i start for MAXIMUM impact ? I know the characters and setting after all and am here for "clean" lolZ not the story(how is a D- possible on ANN!?!) or brain bleach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ronri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I have such mixed feelings towards the whole organ transplant revelation, especially since I just re-watched the first season of Psycho-Pass (specifically the Extended Edition); in which I feel that this twist really contradicts a lot of thematic elements in the previous season.

That said, I've heard some folks proposing the idea that the various organs isn't so much about transferring one's Psycho-Pass (in a literal), but rather it distracts and nullifies the actual scanning process due to failure in recognizing the person's ID. In this regard, Kamui and co might be comprised of various parts from "dead" people that aren't properly ID'd in Sibyl's system. It's literally the ONLY plausible explanation I can think of, but it still feels like sloppy writing. I remain unconvinced, though I'd be curious for you thoughts on this, Hope?

I just hope that Urobochi manages to salvage the story or outright ignore the rules made in this second season come the time he does the movie....
qberr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
can't wait for ep8
it should shut up all those who still defend season 2
but Hope might pop a vein for how dumb a certain thing is

because it's really, REALLY dumb, way more than anything s1, and s1 had SPOOKYBOOGIE and HYPEROATS
we're seriously falling into samurai flamenco tier of dumb, but samurai flamenco was dumb fun whereas pp2 is taking itself way too seriously for this kind of trainwreck to be fun

tl;dr: get hyped.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
If this season though is as fun(?) or devise is the cyberspace tells me then i am willing to give season 2 a go. Which episode do i start for MAXIMUM impact ? I know the characters and setting after all and am here for "clean" lolZ not the story(how is a D- possible on ANN!?!) or brain bleach.

If you want to start on the crazy stuff, I'd start with ep 4
qberr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
if anyone's interested, movie trailer was "released"
be careful as it contains already known characters (who therefore will not die in s2, as movie is set 2.5 years after s2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH8cQLQs-w8

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON
spoiler[basically everyone from s1 minus Aoyanagi(and maybe Shion) live, also Sugo now is a permanent add, so basically Aoyanagi died solely to give him character, wow.]

and most importantly spoiler[Ginoza has a ponytail now
wow
he really became the new Yayoi, ponytail, black hair, vast majority his fanart is homo, background character that survives by doing nothing
the only difference is that he's not getting any sex scenes since lingerie inspector got Sugo'd]

ep9 spoiler[)that we know from summaries is an attack on CID HQ in which officers die left and right) just became insanely pointless ]
cant wait for ep8 later today tho, it's going to be a trainwreck
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Ok CoreSignal. Episode 4 is a go ! See you next week'Smile'. Let´see if it beats Pupa(i need more !). I after all need to find out if there is a worse non-hentai anime then Ange this year for my review of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
qberr wrote:
can't wait for ep8 later today tho, it's going to be a trainwreck

residentgrigo wrote:
Ok CoreSignal. Episode 4 is a go ! See you next week'Smile'. Let´see if it beats Pupa(i need more !). I after all need to find out if there is a worse non-hentai anime then Ange this year for my review of it.

I said "trainwreck" too, but I was sorta joking, I don't think Psycho-Pass 2 is that bad Sad
I'm only disappointed because I was expecting something as good as or better than the 1st season, which isn't the case so far. But it's a still a good as standard, cyberpunk mystery/detective thriller. Also, I think the upcoming movie looks good, so hopefully it'll put this series back on track.
qberr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
cyberpunk mystery/detective thriller.
But the detective work is amateurish at best(they could've solved the case in ep2), the mistery is getting less interesting by the episode(the villain's motivation ended up being so dull i'm not sure how we're supposed to care about his character) and it's hard to be thrilled when the staff is more preoccupied in giving as many gory deaths to as many characters as possible every 2 episodes, there's just so many times i can get shocked by pointless gory deaths, and that ended in ep4.
And the cyberpunk part is going to hell since the supposedly unfallible all seeing eye gets fooled every goddamn episode for increasingly dumb reasons.

It's really just a bad splatter flick with no substance.
It's great unintended comedy tho.

spoiler[Just think about it: Kirito probably has a compound penis, no wonder Shisui isn't getting any]
BillyMK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[So Tougane's moms wants to use him to get rid of Akane and for that she needs him to cloud Akane's hue... but hasn't season one showed that Sibyl can shoot whoever it wants (in how they killed Kagari)? ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 27