• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO THE ANIMATION

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garudyne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm truly amazed by the quality of episode 5! So far, this anime has been subtle yet powerful, and it's clear the director cares for it.

If Garo keeps this up, I may even add it to my top 40.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For the past two weeks, I've been going into GARO wondering, "will this be the first one that disappoints?" but it hasn't happened yet.

With Yasuko Kobayashi as the writer for this series, I doubt that this would ever happen. I've been impressed by many of her works for Tokusatsu so far and it's still pretty impressive knowing a woman is better at writing a show like this than the men......
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Yeah, all I could get out of that was more sexual panic and his anxiety that being a Makai Knight makes him some sort of monster in other people's eyes (e.g., the children he saves), and maybe his own (mirror theme).

Btw, Pepe actually did kill one of the terraformars church guys.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
I have not been a big fan of the series in general, but episode 7 was bad. Rather than being mysterious it was just confusing and did not flow from the events well at all.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
On the subject of Makai Knights and their world:

From what I've seen of the live action series (the last two seasons), there's not much of an "in" into Makai society there, either. Of course, there were two seasons before I started watching, so there may be an episode in one of those that lays it all out for the viewer. That said, though, from what I gather:

spoiler[The Makai Knights have been around for a very long time and continue at least into the near future. The Golden armor GARO has been worn by countless people (who have also worn the ring Zaruba). Given the technology level and the medeival Spain-y setting I view the anime as a prequel to all the other seasons.

There seems to be another world that exists in parallel with Earth, like a set of dimensions most people can't perceive, though they still occupy the same space as our familiar three. Makai Knights and Makai Priests and Priestesses sort of have one foot in each and can cross back and forth at will. In the last season, the protagonist Raiga allowed a human to see the world as he sees it, with brighter colors and spirit beings living side by side with humans. There is some kind of Makai council (often depicted as...well-meaning, but kind of coldhearted), and there are other orders of warriors who occasionally show up -- Raiga's occasional partner Kuro in the last season was part of another group originally. Warrior fathers tend to train their sons to carry on the fight, unless they die or disappear (which is often), and someone else has to take up the training.]
babaca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer wondered why Alfonso could become a makai knight.. They must have skipped the episode where it was explained that Leon's mother spoiler[and Alfonso's mother were sisters. They were separated when they were young girls so no one knew Alfonso's mother was of Makai blood. So Leon and Alfonso are cousins.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
But I think it has to be passed down parent to child (which may or may not in practice mean father to son), not just to anyone with a Makai bloodline.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
It actually has nothing to do with bloodline at all. The suits can be inherit straight from a master to a pupil.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah, and I assume that the son that Rafael was imagining was a dead son, intended to succeed hm, but died young to something or other, leaving him all emo wanderer.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Alright, a few tidbits from the stock of knowledge of the live action shows that anyone who's seen them would know but have been touched on but not fully explained yet would not be spoilers at this point:

1) Only males can become Makai Knights. Titles don't strictly have to be passed down from parent to child, but they should be close, and there is precedence (from season 1) of an adopted son gaining the armor.

2) The Makai Priests (not alchemists... totally different word even in Japanese, seriously the only reason I can think they're using some BS like alchemists is that Funimation is trying some misguided attempt at being PC) actually predate the Makai Knights. However, they were not very effective at fighting off Horrors by themselves.

3) The armor and weapons of Makai Knights are made from a material known as Soul Metal. Soul Metal is an alloy that was long ago forged from the body of a specific mega-horror that was sealed away. Only soul metal can effectively kill Horrors.

4) Soul metal reacts to the will of the holder. For someone with a weak will, it will be extremely heavy and impossible to lift. For someone with a strong will, it will be light as a feather.

5) The reason Makai Knights do not just don their armor right from the start is that there is a time limit. The armor can only be worn for 99.9 seconds. If a knight lets it reach that point without removing the armor, he will be devoured by his armor and fall to a dark knight. Although:
spoiler[There is precedence from the 1st live action season of the wearer of Garo resisting the armor after the limit and dispelling the armor off of himself. And in the 4th live action season the current wearer of Garo going past the limit then overcoming the armor's devouring effect through willpower and taking control of its form entirely, effectively creating a one-off super mode (Garo has a habit of creating a one-time super mode by different means in the final boss fight of every season).]

6) The holder of the title Garo is traditionally known as the greatest of the Makai Knights since the beginning of there being Makai Knights. Furthermore, the one with the title Garo can be recognized without his armor from his trademark red sheath.

7) Where there is inga (basically negative psychic energy due to negative emotions from humans lingering on something) in an object, the shadow cast by that object can form a "gate" by which horrors can enter this world. A Makai Knight's duty during the day is to find and seal those gates, and during the night is to hunt Horrors.

8) Upon entering through a gate, a horror will find a possess a nearby human who possesses great inga (generally a criminal possessing malice on the level of a murderer). The possessed human now becomes the horror but tends to retain some warped for of strong traits the human's personality originally had, however the special abilities are linked to the horror doing the possessing. A horror-possessed human eats humans as food, and they can only be saved from possession by death. The trapped original soul of the human still exists and is in great pain until being released.

9) There are old-yet-young-looking beings in white in separate pocket-dimensional spaces known as the Watchdogs. Their rooms can be entered via various portals, but only by Makai Knights and Makai Priests. The Watchdogs monitor for the appearance of horrors and dispatch orders to the Knights. The orders received from the Watchdogs are considered absolute. Each region has its own dedicated Watchdog and Watchdog station.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
There is only one thing I wanted to complain about. WHERE THE HELL IS ZARUBA? It like they show him once, took Leon's life for a day then boom, he's gone and was never mentioned again.
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
I fell behind on Garo because of studying for midterms and had the pleasure of watching the latest two episodes back-to-back, which was awesome. Garo is slowly making it's way into my top 10, which remained unchanged for more than a year.

Animelover12313 wrote:
There is only one thing I wanted to complain about. WHERE THE HELL IS ZARUBA? It like they show him once, took Leon's life for a day then boom, he's gone and was never mentioned again.

Zaruba is basically an enhancer for the armour, so I don't see why it should be mentioned at all except for when it "kills" Leon the next time. Leon is also the only one that can, to an extent, talk to it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
Ep 10: I still feel like Mendoza is a stereotype with a superiority complex. He used human blood to do experiments, and justified it by saying Makai priests and knights were superior to regular people, and they should no longer waste their time protecting humanity. That's why he was cursed. Then, when his newborn was born with the same curse mark (which somehow seemed to activate his own curse mark), it's implied that he not only killed the baby, but his wife and even the midwife. That's pretty straight up evil. Guess he didn't fully believe that the curse mark would be passed down, but even if he thought he had a decent rationalization for killing his kid, getting rid of the witnesses is completely unforgivable.

I have to reiterate that I love how the show is avoiding the trope of the two good guys fighting one another. Leon and Alfonso get along, and they even communicate! Most shows like this would make the cousin reveal a big deal, and stretch it out. Here the only miscommunication is on purpose to hurt German's feelings for a bit, and then it's cleared right up.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Interesting point about the curse marks, but if that turns out to be the case, I'll call shenanigans. León was born moments before Germán swooped in and saved him. If he were Mendoza's son, he would have been born with the marks, and as we've seen it's not something easily overlooked. If he does turn out to be his son, then Germán already knows that.

Another good episode, but I kept wanting them to go into action right away, attacking the spoiler[portal device or at least the foot coming through, instead of standing around gawking at it until the whole damn beast shows up. It's probably protected by Mendoza's barrier but maybe that's only his personal shield. Doesn't hurt to try.] Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
I can't possibly imagine how could León turn out to be Mendoza's son. Anna was already pregnant when they first entered Valiante, and Mendoza was cursed when León's grandfather was still the owner of Garo. I think it's heavily implied that it's been a really long time since then. Mendoza was already far into his "destroy Makai bloodline" plot by the time Anna was captured. I'm pretty sure procreating with a Makai Priest and thus making a baby that can inherit the legendary Garo armor goes completely against his goals. I'd find it easier to believe that Mendoza's curse could be somewhat similar to León's, which would explain their similar markings, especially since both of them are driven by their desire for revenge
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6