• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ponyo Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki full into his "I don't give a shit, I do what I want" phase here.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I liked Ponyo a lot, and found it entrancing. And me on the downside of 40. It may have been written for five year olds, but found myself enjoying because it wasn't a straightforward narrative, but more impressions of color and movement and emotion playing off one another. That's it! For me it was visual jazz.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I liked Ponyo a lot, and found it entrancing. And me on the downside of 40. It may have been written for five year olds, but found myself enjoying because it wasn't a straightforward narrative, but more impressions of color and movement and emotion playing off one another. That's it! For me it was visual jazz.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. I'm on the tail end of "young" adulthood, but I greatly enjoyed it. Yes, the story was shaky at best, and the second half kind of limped to the finish, but the artistry and animation were so gorgeous and enchanting that I frankly didn't give a damn. I'm willing to forgive a lot in a work if it provides a visual feast, and Ponyo certainly does.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
What the hell does the reviewer have against Wolf Children? That film's beautiful, one of my all time favorites. The mother in that film was brilliantly realized, I have no idea what this person is referring to.

So I pretty much just found out about Ghibli films when Ponyo first released in Japan (yes, I didn't have the luxury of growing up with them. I grew up in a very patriotic 'murican family), and I'd say it was only like the third film of theirs that I saw? So maybe I have a bit of early nostalgia for it, but it's always been the kind of movie that can make me smile whenever I watch it. It of course doesn't have the intricate storytelling of, say, Princess Mononoke, but it's not really supposed to either. It's for five year olds, and also happens to bring the inner five year old out in many viewers as well.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
I wonder what the review for Howl's Moving Castle is going to be because that one is another Miyazaki film that is not as well received as others.

You know, I see this type of assumption a lot. But Howl's actual audience reception is very positive. In many polls it regularly ranks near the top. And almost always in the top three, along with Mononoke and Spirited Away. So it's more the professional critics that were less favorable towards it. And even then it got great reviews still. 86% percent on Rotten Tomatoes I believe. And many people I know personally that have seen it also say it's their favorite Ghibli film. My sister told me that it's actually in her top five favorite films of all time.
kern

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
The review is in error as to the available English subtitles on the US Ponyo Blu-Ray release.

When one selects English audio, then the (only) English subtitle offered is "English for the Hearing Impaired" which consists of subtitles of the English dub, and other sound information in parentheses.

When one selects Japanese audio, then the (only) English subtitle offered is "English" which consists of an English translation of the Japanese soundtrack (without additional soundtrack information).

Although this adult likes Ponyo far more than the reviewer, his detailed and thoughtful Studio Ghibli film reviews are most commendable.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
You know, I see this type of assumption a lot. But Howl's actual audience reception is very positive. In many polls it regularly ranks near the top. And almost always in the top three, along with Mononoke and Spirited Away.

Namely, the only other two Ghibli films most mainstream audiences knew by name in 2005. Rolling Eyes
"It's in the Top Three of the three Ghiblis I've ever heard of in my life!"

(They might have known Kiki and Totoro from renting the videos for their kids, in those long-ago days before Spirited won the Oscar, but not by actually associating it with the name of a director.)

Quote:
So it's more the professional critics that were less favorable towards it. And even then it got great reviews still.

Although Roger Ebert, who was championing Totoro and Mononoke before it was cool, was one of the less favorable:
Quote:
A parade of weird characters comes onstage to do their turns, but the underlying plot grows murky and, amazingly for a Miyazaki film, we grow impatient at spectacle without meaning.
I can't recommend the film, and yet I know if you admire Miyazaki as much I do you'll want to see it, anyway. When his movies are working and on those rare occasions when they are not...
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
I really liked Ponyo. It's the sort of film you'd see as a kid and remember very strongly, like a children's watercolor book brought to life. For some of the people who dislike it, I sometimes wonder if having seen Miyazaki's other works sort of ruins the film a bit, since it's harder to like a film going in with high expectations, especially following on the heels of prior classics. I've also seen some negatives about it not being for adults, but I think that's part of what makes the film more endearing to me, since it reminds me of what it was like being a young kid. I imagine there's a young generation of children who've watched the film already, and I'm sure they'll look back very fondly on it.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ponyo was nice (and one of he first Ghibli films I actually saw in its entirety) but yeah, it does seem very child-oriented. The plot seemed messy ( meet Ponyo, her adjusting to being human, then a flood and rescuing people) but the art was amazing. I remember the first time I saw my mind was blown by just how fluid everything was, especially compared to most anime. Ponyo's fish form was cute, but the mid form, with legs but not human yet, was just bizarre. I didn't have any problem with the dub though.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
Ponyo is one of the loveliest Ghibli flims to look at, but sadly, one of the WORST payoffs I have ever seen.

First off, it ends abruptly. As if there's a whole second half of the story that has been cut out.

Secondly, the water-goddess whispers to the mom character far away. So we're literally taken out of the conversation altogether.

Thirdly, the lore and the setting they are creating has absolutely no payoff or resolution. It's just left as a complete mystery, and not even in a cute way either. It's like they got lazy and decided to call it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2