• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Castle in the Sky Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
The re-orchestrated musical score was vastly superior to the original synthesizer track.

I disagree. This is ultimately a matter of taste and expectances. I was mostly annoyed with the re-orchestrated version the first-time I heard it around 2003 because it was kind of noisier, especially in originally quiet scenes, and it sounded to me too much like an effort from the part of Hisaishi to make the score sound like an average movie score from Hollywood. Who cares if the original score has pieces that sound too minimalistic and "synthesizer-like"? After all, Hisaishi's background next to classical music is minimalist/synthesizer music. Therefore I'm surprised to hear that the japanese BluRay only includes the re-orchestrated version. It would have annoyed me as hell to find it out after buying the disc, so I'm grateful it has been mentioned in the review/comment section.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skaly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
I knew there was an issue with the subtitles when I heard "Patsu!" but read "Patsu, are you okay?"

Overall, I think this release is an improvement. They removed unnecessary (and originally un-present) expository dialogue, some of which I remember from the early parts of the film.

I'm hoping they do the same for a certain line of dialogue in Spirited Away, which actually spoiled the movie! I think this is the first time I'd seen a movie spoil itself.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Improvement?

To some people who found the one-liners annoying, perhaps. Myself, I'm torn. I enjoyed a lot of the pirates' dialogue, even if it was added into the picture, and Sheeta's "pirate talk" scene as well as Muska's added in "Nothing but tree stumps and VINES! Stupid, ugly, dirty, disgusting things!" and his "You little brat! Goodbye! Enjoy the ride!" were all priceless. Disney's dub feels empty without them.

Now having said that, yes, the commentary from Pazu and Sheeta was a bit overdone in places, but still, if I was in charge of scaling back the extra dialogue, I wouldn't have scaled back ALL of it, just some of the more redundant ones. But the aforementioned bits, I think, added more character to the film. Yes, this is as anti-purist as it gets, but so what. It's just how I feel.

As for the extra added in line toward the end of Spirited Away, that was done because both Ghibli and Disney felt the film lacked closure, and even Japanese audiences felt cheated at the end. That's why those two lines at the end were added in. They stand behind their decision. Now as for Chihiro recognizing Haku as a dragon earlier on, well, that's subjective. As far as I'm concerned it didn't really spoil anything for me, so I don't really see the problem.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
This movie is amazing! It's deep and meaningful, with action, romance, amazing artwork and the list just goes on and on and on. The only thing I had as a problem was the dub of Sheeta. She sounded like a poor mix of British, Australian and New Zealander.

Anna Paquin speaks like this in real life. She was born in Canada and raised in New Zealand, and she has admitted that she does bounce between accents when talking to friends from NZ. Personally, I didn't mind the accent. Considering who Sheeta turns out to be, I think it's appropriate for her to have an accent.

I DO think she missed some of her lines in places, but that's my only quibble of her performance.

I'm just saying they could have chosen a different voice actor with a consistent accent. I think that would have solved the minor nitpick.

Still a fantastic film, though.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:
The re-orchestrated musical score was vastly superior to the original synthesizer track.

I disagree. This is ultimately a matter of taste and expectances. I was mostly annoyed with the re-orchestrated version the first-time I heard it around 2003 because it was kind of noisier, especially in originally quiet scenes, and it sounded to me too much like an effort from the part of Hisaishi to make the score sound like an average movie score from Hollywood. Who cares if the original score has pieces that sound too minimalistic and "synthesizer-like"? After all, Hisaishi's background next to classical music is minimalist/synthesizer music. Therefore I'm surprised to hear that the japanese BluRay only includes the re-orchestrated version. It would have annoyed me as hell to find it out after buying the disc, so I'm grateful it has been mentioned in the review/comment section.

I agree wholeheartedly. I remember the first time I watched this film, (a copy on VHS my Japanese-born language teacher gave me to watch around '87, without subtitles Crying or Very sad ) and was smitten by the film, especially the music. When I bought the 2003 Disney DVD, I was taken aback by how upfront the music was and how, at points, it drowned out the sound effects. One scene that disappointed me was the scene in the cave with the old man, I LOVED how the synthesizer started low and then grew as he told his story and when he lowered the light from the lantern the music became grander. That scene, for me, is one of my favorite scenes musically in this film, so I'm very glad to hear the original music is being used for this version. I held out buying this Blu-Ray just because of the fear it was just an upgrade visually and the rest was rolled over from the 2003 DVD. Now it's going to be on my Christmas list Very Happy
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I personally have trouble deciding which version of that particular scene I like better, they're both effective, but IMO, the rescored version is the more hair-tingling of the two. I don't see anything wrong with the new version.

It should also be mentioned that even on the original 2003 DVD release, the rerecorded score was always exclusive to the Disney dub; the original Japanese track always had the original synthesizer score. So for fans who prefer the film that way, there was never any issue about that to begin with (sans the mistimed subs).

Now if some people prefer the original score because that's how they saw the film that's fine as long as nobody castigates others for having a different opinion.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I've got to say that of all his movies, this one just bored me. I didn't care about anyone in it or anything that happened to them. That doesn't mean it's a bad film. I had the same reaction to Pinocchio just last week, and that's great on several levels. I just don't enjoy watching either because I don't connect to any of the characters.
Ulto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
I remember the first time I watched this film, (a copy on VHS my Japanese-born language teacher gave me to watch around '87, without subtitles Crying or Very sad ) and was smitten by the film, especially the music. When I bought the 2003 Disney DVD, I was taken aback by how upfront the music was and how, at points, it drowned out the sound effects. One scene that disappointed me was the scene in the cave with the old man, I LOVED how the synthesizer started low and then grew as he told his story and when he lowered the light from the lantern the music became grander.

Myself, I had a fan-subtitled VHS as a kid in the early 90's because my father's college friends were apparently just that awesome (Had a sticker on the front saying, roughly, "please buy this if it becomes available in the US". Copied from a master tape by hand. I feel there had to be more TLC in fan-subbing back then)

Anyway. Of those Ghibli films we had and I was allowed to watch, Laputa was my favorite (I may have literally watched it a hundred times), and that scene was indeed one of the most magical, and the music had everything to do with it. And also, thinking about it, when they find the dragon's nest--and the synth music starts pulsing--that moment was absolutely hair-raising for me as a child. Also one of my favorites.

Perhaps the problem is that now that we are so far from the 80's, synth music has... different implications to people. I don't know if I would have gotten the same magic from it if I associated synth with general cheesiness.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Ulto wrote:
njprogfan wrote:
I remember the first time I watched this film, (a copy on VHS my Japanese-born language teacher gave me to watch around '87, without subtitles Crying or Very sad ) and was smitten by the film, especially the music. When I bought the 2003 Disney DVD, I was taken aback by how upfront the music was and how, at points, it drowned out the sound effects. One scene that disappointed me was the scene in the cave with the old man, I LOVED how the synthesizer started low and then grew as he told his story and when he lowered the light from the lantern the music became grander.

Myself, I had a fan-subtitled VHS as a kid in the early 90's because my father's college friends were apparently just that awesome (Had a sticker on the front saying, roughly, "please buy this if it becomes available in the US". Copied from a master tape by hand. I feel there had to be more TLC in fan-subbing back then)

Anyway. Of those Ghibli films we had and I was allowed to watch, Laputa was my favorite (I may have literally watched it a hundred times), and that scene was indeed one of the most magical, and the music had everything to do with it. And also, thinking about it, when they find the dragon's nest--and the synth music starts pulsing--that moment was absolutely hair-raising for me as a child. Also one of my favorites.

Perhaps the problem is that now that we are so far from the 80's, synth music has... different implications to people. I don't know if I would have gotten the same magic from it if I associated synth with general cheesiness.

That's just it. Neither version of the score is BAD at all, it's just a case of who grew up with it.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I've got the Disney VHS of this movie, but I haven't watched it yet. The review makes it sound like my type of movie. Steampunk and fantastic airplanes? Hell yeah.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
I've got the Disney VHS of this movie, but I haven't watched it yet. The review makes it sound like my type of movie. Steampunk and fantastic airplanes? Hell yeah.

You should watch it. It's an awesome film.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Still a fantastic film, though.

Agreed. Everything about this movie is magnificent. It and Mononoke are my top two favorites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2