• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this series! It's too bad Aniplex America , owns it. I guess I'll have to order it from the UK, when ever it comes out. Rolling Eyes
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
I'm really enjoying this series! It's too bad Aniplex America , owns it. I guess I'll have to order it from the UK, when ever it comes out. Rolling Eyes
Unfortunately Aniplex USA practically has first dubs on everything that Ufotable produces. You get a damn good for your money, but I think they overprice everything. Still trying to find an inexpensive Kara no Kyoukai Blu-Ray collection, but that is an effort in futility unless you're willing to shell out $500 or more for it.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
First dibs you mean Razz

I do wonder if they'll release it like Fate/Zero with the import to US consumers. I'm going to assume it will be faster than what happened with Fate/Zero. Maybe they're dubbing episodes as its being made and will release a US box set late next year(I pray to the Holy Grail). Yes the set will cost us around $150 but its better than buying the import for about $400.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Unfortunately Aniplex USA practically has first dubs on everything that Ufotable produces. You get a damn good for your money, but I think they overprice everything. Still trying to find an inexpensive Kara no Kyoukai Blu-Ray collection, but that is an effort in futility unless you're willing to shell out $500 or more for it.

I've been doing the same. The cheapest I've seen a legit copy go for is about $350. I really wish Aniplex would give it a reasonably priced re-release, preferably with a dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlefleur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
This thread is epic Shocked

I am really enjoying this adaptation. Ufotable had done an amazing job with it. I'm cautiously hopeful that the quality will keep up until the end.

For those who haven't watched Fate/Zero yet, I do think that FSN:UBW is much more enjoyable and understandable if you have seen it. The first Studio DEEN FSN anime was a standalone show. Familiarity with the game was probably a plus but I got the gist without playing it (I later read/played about halfway through- it just got too long for me). Although it never fully, from what I remember, explained backstory on Sakara and Ilya. Who they were and why you should care about them was only explained by the visual novel, and later by the Fate/Zero book and anime.

However, ufotable's adaptation is borrowing a lot from Fate/Zero, which yes did not exist back in 2006 or whenever the original FSN anime came out. The Studio DEEN anime also had some twists and turns that are already taken for granted in this year's show due to ufotable's assumption that viewers have seen F/Z. And it doesn't seem, at this point, like ufotable will bother going into many of the back stories and relationships from Fate/Zero.

Fate/Zero in no way spoils the ending of FSN:UBW. There was an Unlimited Blade Works movie so I'd definitely avoid that, and the VN as well if you want to remain unspoiled.

Just a warning, Fate/Zero is really good and worth watching on its own merits, but it is more violent and in some ways more disturbing than FSN:UBW has been up to this point. It is also about adults for the most part, no high school hijinks to be found. Although young Rin is featured.
Mirri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
Nyren wrote:

I've been doing the same. The cheapest I've seen a legit copy go for is about $350. I really wish Aniplex would give it a reasonably priced re-release, preferably with a dub.

Standard Edition Japanese BD Box ~$255 shipped - same discs, just no fancy extra booklets or anything. Still sub-only. The site can be used in English if you go to the homepage and click "In English" in the upper right corner.

On topic: I felt like this week's episode of Fate was a little bit disjointed. The pacing just bothered me somehow, I can't put my finger on it. I enjoyed the action scenes, but it didn't live up to earlier episodes to me...
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
littlefleur wrote:

Just a warning, Fate/Zero is really good and worth watching on its own merits, but it is more violent and in some ways more disturbing than FSN:UBW has been up to this point. It is also about adults for the most part, no high school hijinks to be found. Although young Rin is featured.

I started the whole Fate/whatever franchise by marathoning UBW threw ep 6 last week (I wanted to check it out since people were calling it AOTS), and then realizing that Fate/Zero really was connected, I started making my way through it, too. I'm around ep 12 in F/Z now. I prefer a show without highschool hijinks, and the art, character designs and animation all look better in F/Z, imho. The only violence that really disturbs me is spoiler[the child torture and serial killing. This is the third anime written by Gen Urubochi that I've seen that featured violence against kids under 18. What is wrong with that man?!]
I'm still don't understand everything about the Stay/Night franchise, but I'd venture to say that F/Z is the better show, at least for now.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
littlefleur wrote:

I started the whole Fate/whatever franchise by marathoning UBW threw ep 6 last week (I wanted to check it out since people were calling it AOTS), and then realizing that Fate/Zero really was connected, I started making my way through it, too. I'm around ep 12 in F/Z now. I prefer a show without highschool hijinks, and the art, character designs and animation all look better in F/Z, imho. The only violence that really disturbs me is spoiler[the child torture and serial killing. This is the third anime written by Gen Urubochi that I've seen that featured violence against kids under 18. What is wrong with that man?!]
I'm still don't understand everything about the Stay/Night franchise, but I'd venture to say that F/Z is the better show, at least for now.
To be honest, I have no qualms about the stuff you mentioned under the spoiler tag. The reason being that if a writer limits themselves to socially acceptable subjects and steers clear of potentially controversial choices, then they miss out on chances to make the story unique and original, or more precisely, to make characters that stand out from the pack. I was disgusted by those scenes as well, so much so that I thought I was gonna lose my lunch, but at the same time I can see why they did it. The Master and Servant were supposed to be as sadistic as inhumanly possible, and that did a great job of conveying that.

Aside from that though, I'd have to see more of UBW before I say its better than Fate/Zero. I've watched the original anime and the film adaptation of UBW and I didn't dislike them, not by a long shot, though just from looking at this new series it completely trumps the older stuff in every category and even makes me like Shirou more(I never hated him like a lot of people did.). I have yet to get to this route in the VN, but I hope to sometime soon. I'm at the final fight against Berserker in the Fate route.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
littlefleur wrote:
It is also about adults for the most part, no high school hijinks to be found.

Agent355 wrote:
I prefer a show without highschool hijinks

What high school hijinks? Its not a goofy comedy. Is the school setting really a focus?
The school was briefly featured in the early first five or so episodes but I believe there will be little in the future majority of the show.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
When was the last time a show got such good reviews on ANN? I personally think FZN: UBW is the phenomenal anime of the decade sort of show.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Parasyte is getting amazing ratings as well. Personally these two shows are my favorite of season, maybe even the entire year.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Well, so far at least 3 Masters are high school students, whereas in Fate/Zero, all the main characters are adults (and only one is a college student). I definitely see that as a plus. At least Saber hasn't transferred to Shirou's school as a foreign exchange student. (yet Laughing)
kingcity20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Well, so far at least 3 Masters are high school students, whereas in Fate/Zero, all the main characters are adults (and only one is a college student). I definitely see that as a plus. At least Saber hasn't transferred to Shirou's school as a foreign exchange student. (yet Laughing)

You have to remember that A) the holy grail takes place in the same city everytime. B) there is usually a really big time gap between grails. C) The new masters are a lot more powerful masters than there predecessors.

So for A) If it takes place in the same city everytime, with only a few mage families that can qualify as masters then the only choice is to go with the new generation.
B) Due to "Spoiler" reasons, the holy grail decided to only wait 10 years between the war this time. Meaning that the next generation of mages will be a lot younger.
C) Rin is a genius mage that far surpasses her father, Ilya far surpasses her parents as well. Shirou, well just wait and see.
Shinji is weak and should be hated, but there will be big reveals once the Heaven's Feel movie(s) comes as to why the matou family is chosen. If the grail were to choose masters, these would not only be fitting, it would probably be the best time for it.

It's fine if you like FZ more but
Adults =/= better and preferences don't dictate what's good
The fact that they are high-schoolers now makes perfect sense inuniverse
Saber does not and will not transfer into the school, in fact the school has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than being probably the only school in town. in which case 3 people coming from the same school makes more than enough sense.

Opinions are opinions but speculation is a whole different story.

littlefleur wrote:

However, ufotable's adaptation is borrowing a lot from Fate/Zero, which yes did not exist back in 2006 or whenever the original FSN anime came out. The Studio DEEN anime also had some twists and turns that are already taken for granted in this year's show due to ufotable's assumption that viewers have seen F/Z. And it doesn't seem, at this point, like ufotable will bother going into many of the back stories and relationships from Fate/Zero.

Fate/Zero in no way spoils the ending of FSN:UBW.

Most of Fate/Zero was already in the original FSN visual novel, so no Ufotable isn't borrowing anything from FZ it's sticking true to the original source material. FateZero was around in 2006 as a Light Novel written by Gen Urobuchi, but he only added onto a already existing story line. Fate Zero doesn't tell you what happened in the 4th grail war, that's already in FSN. It just shows you how.
Ufotable is following the Unlimited Blade Works route, so no it's not making assumptions that you've seen fate zero. Any anime only addition that they are using is to compensate for the Fate route which they decided not to animate. In fact Ufotable made it clear that this was standalone.
While Zero spoils only a few things about UBW, it spoils almost every twist in the heaven's feel route which has already been announced as either a movie or movies. Knowing this is the same studio that made Kara No Kyoukai into 7 movies, it is likely they will do multiple movies for that route.
If you think this isn't dark and violent just wait till we get further into this route, and the Heaven's Feel movie(s) (Which in my opinion is the darkest and most violent storyline, Yes it's darker than FZ).
Adults =/= Good and this point should be irrelevant.
I'm telling you this because you probably know very little about the source material which this is based off of and you are completely misinformed. Anime rarely gets second adaptations to anything, plus the fact that most of the Visual Novel readers dislike the 2006 adaptation should show you how far from the original it strayed.
BDsprite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
Oh geez this thread is just a big scary melting pot of conflicting opinions isn't it?
Guy from the Visual Novel fandom here, just wanted to chime in and say that I think there's merit to both sides, and it's really just a matter of perspective.

The 'Visual Novel first' people are mad because we've had to put up with angry, misinformed opinions since the first, rather botched, anime aired back in 06. People who watch the show and then feel qualified to give us an in-depth analysis on why something we like sucks, when they've only scratched the ugly, misshapen surface themselves.
It's like someone watching only the Phantom Menace and then writing an essay on how Star Wars is overhyped trash. It's really frustrating. Yeah, Phantom Menace is bad, and their criticisms on it are totally valid, but they shouldn't be judging the value of the whole series off of it.
A good few of us VN fans have grown really attached to certain characters, themes and so on in the story, so we have a bad habit of taking any criticisms against them as personal attacks, lashing out defensively, and doing our best to argue that the critics can't possibly know what they're talking about because they don't have the full picture yet. Even though a lot of these critics are only judging what they've seen, and aren't trying to 'tear down the whole story' at all.
Granted, there are plenty of critics out there who really don't know what they're talking about, and have no intention of giving the material a fair chance.
"Generic Harem anime! High School? UGH. It's so immature like, where's all the grimdarkness!? Fate/Zero was better, Kiritsugu4lyf! PEOPLE DIE WHEN THEY'RE KILLED LOL"
We've just gotten so sick of hearing the same arguments by now that it's hard to tell the good critics from the bad ones.
The whole sexism thing is a particularly sore spot, thanks to the protagonist, Shirou, being portrayed in the 06 anime as a misogynistic plank of wood whose only real inkling of 'character development' was getting laid. In the Visual Novel, he's so much more than that (admittedly it's still a matter of opinion whether that 'so much more' makes him a better character or not). Regardless, he's had 8 years to build up a very vocal hatedom, and ever since, people have been driving a lot of us crazy with their misinformed opinions on how terrible he is, to the point where even the slightest mention of sexism in Fate/Stay Night is enough to spark a super venomous debate these days.

I think the worst thing us VN fans are doing, is going way too overboard on the critics. A lot of them are coming into this series blind, giving the show a fair chance and calling things as they see them. Yeah, the characterization and writing gets better as the story goes on, but they're not saying it won't. Chances are, when you first read the VN, you thought Shirou was an annoying sexist too, but then he grew on you, like he's supposed to. Let the story grow on these people as well. Once they're done, if they still have complaints, THEN we can start arguing over whether said complaints are valid or not. Because yes, F/SN isn't perfect, and there are things worth criticizing. Let's just try to avoid jumping the gun on them.
At this point, all our hostility is accomplishing is driving these people away and keeping them from experiencing the story at all.
And I can imagine how frustrating it must be for them, trying to voice their thoughts so far, only to be told "Shut up, you're wrong and stupid! It gets better when spoilerspoilerspoiler!"

That being said, one thing that really does grind my gears are the people who are crediting every bad thing to the Visual Novel and every good thing to ufotable.
Give the original material some credit guys! If it were just your typical skeevy eroge, it wouldn't have gained a big enough following to earn 3 separate shows and two full length movies in the first place. Not to mention a parody anime AND a big dumb Magical Girl spinoff.
This anime has added some cool new things to the story, like the Rin/Ilya fight, and the little nods to Fate/Zero (I particularly liked seeing the snake skin in Rin's house back in the first episode.) but in the end it IS an adaption, not a reboot. ufotable isn't 'fixing' the story, they're just doing a much better job of showing it than DEEN did.

Brief aside to the critics, believe it or not your opinions are actually the main reason a lot of us are so hyped for the new anime in the first place. Contrary to the impression you might have gotten from the fanbase, we really just want to watch new people experience this story and we're excited that they're finally getting a decent and accessible medium to do so. Personally, when a new episode comes out, I look forward to all the reviews and responses more than the episode itself, and I don't pretend to speak for the entire fanbase here, but I know I'm not alone in thinking that either. There are some great ideas and plot points that get explored in UBW, and I'm really looking forward to seeing new people discuss them. But, I'm worried that when those awesome points come up, all I'm going to see in discussions are 'sexism this', 'DEEN adaption that', and so on.

Anyway, I know this was a long post and discussing the VN is frowned upon, so sorry for that, just wanted to give my two cents and hopefully defuse some of the hostility.
I3uster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
BDsprite wrote:
That being said, one thing that really does grind my gears are the people who are crediting every bad thing to the Visual Novel and every good thing to ufotable.
Give the original material some credit guys! If it were just your typical skeevy eroge, it wouldn't have gained a big enough following to earn 3 separate shows and two full length movies in the first place. Not to mention a parody anime AND a big dumb Magical Girl spinoff.
This anime has added some cool new things to the story, like the Rin/Ilya fight, and the little nods to Fate/Zero (I particularly liked seeing the snake skin in Rin's house back in the first episode.) but in the end it IS an adaption, not a reboot. ufotable isn't 'fixing' the story, they're just doing a much better job of showing it than DEEN did.

This right here.

There is nothing more frustrating than hearing people praise ufotable for improving the "bad" source material and citing scenes that were in the source material as example. It's just mind boggling. This is not like the sexism debate which is very much a debate of opinion. It's insisting the sky is red.

I presume the reason is because this anime very much is a great work. Could be better in quite a few areas, but it works as standalone work and as adaption. But to acknowledge it as being good is, considering it's adherence to the source material, to acknowledge the VN as being good. And for some reason the western anime fandom has decided that one of the most influential works of the VN medium (not even limited to the Japanese VN market, the existence of a sizeable Western VN market and amateur studios can be linked back to it) is trash, so we can't have that.

Only option? Insist it's rewritten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 136