• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sogekingu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Batajitsu wrote:
Ok let me ask you this. spoiler[The govenment kills people who challenge their soventy, the FBI etc were going againt kira who was bringing rightiousness into the world by stopping crime etc, if you look at it form this point of view, then the FBI etc were evil poeple trying to stop Kira from saving the world. (That's how he saw it i believe)]

I guess I can see what your saying but spoiler[But light also did kill people who new of the notebook after L died like that expert conman/impersonator and that woman who was like the expert thief and could sneak into anything, and well there was those crazy guys on tv with the whole"kira's kingdom" show (not sure if I got the name right) where Kira killed all of them even though it was Mikami acting as Kira. and well Light also did kill ray penbars wife, and all she was gonna do was give L all the info she got on how kiras power worked.]
Also does anyone know why they called people with the deathnote as Kira?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Sogekingu wrote:
I believe it's explained somewhere within the first 4 episodes -- "Kira" is an approximation of how the Japanese would pronunce the English word "killer," and since Light and the others who use Death Notes are killers, they get the name "Kira."
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Sogekingu wrote:
I believe it's explained somewhere within the first 4 episodes -- "Kira" is an approximation of how the Japanese would pronunce the English word "killer," and since Light and the others who use Death Notes are killers, they get the name "Kira."

Ironically, depending on how it's written, the word kira can also translate to "light" Razz.
Sogekingu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I know that Deathnote was licensed recently but does anyone know if in the dub they will call the people with the deathnote kira and will they call shinigamis "soul reapers" because that name just sounds kinda lame imo. Confused
Batajitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But light also spoiler[did kill people who new of the notebook after L died like that expert conman/impersonator and that woman who was like the expert thief and could sneak into anything, and well there was those crazy guys on tv with the whole"kira's kingdom" show (not sure if I got the name right) where Kira killed all of them even though it was Mikami acting as Kira. and well Light also did kill ray penbars wife, and all she was gonna do was give L all the info she got on how kiras power worked.]

SPOILERS

spoiler[He killed pendbars wife because she was going against his will, turning light in is an act againt light and his cause. << Thats a jujstification for him to kill the FBI agents and people who knew of him.

Kiras kingdom, the person was using kiras name against Kiras wishers for his own green, the person became currupt etc and was tarnsihing Kiras name, as such an end was brough to it.]
[Please use the phpbbcode spoiler tags rather than just typing "Spoilers" in all caps one line above the spoiler content. ~Zalis]

Quote:
But light also did kill people who new of the notebook after L died like that expert conman/impersonator

You just answered it yourself. They're pro criminals.

See defying Kira is like saying that what you are doing is evil and we will stop you because evil people should be allowed to live. (This could also be another thought process that light thinks of when people try to catch him)

Btw: I have mixed feelings about if light is evil or not, twisted yes, but do the ends justify the means? << That's what you need ask yourself in relation to this series.

Quote:
I know that Deathnote was licensed recently but does anyone know if in the dub they will call the people with the deathnote kira and will they call shinigamis "soul reapers" because that name just sounds kinda lame imo

Since when has liscensing ever stopped dubbing? I had one website that was privatly subbed cant remember link not that i would share o.o thats illigal! However they call kira kira and shinigamis shinigami. I don't think it will change.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Batajitsu wrote:
sogekingu wrote:
I know that Deathnote was licensed recently but does anyone know if in the dub they will call the people with the deathnote kira and will they call shinigamis "soul reapers" because that name just sounds kinda lame imo
Since when has liscensing ever stopped dubbing? I had one website that was privatly subbed can't remember link not that i would share o.o thats illigal! However they call kira kira and shinigamis shinigami. I don't think it will change.
Sogekingu's asking about the dub, the English-language version that Viz is going to release, not the fansubs that are not surprisingly continuing past episode 35.

No one knows for sure what Viz will do with the terms until the dub comes out...DVD translations have been all over the map when it comes to translating "Shinigami." Some that I've seen include Death God, Death Spirit, God of Death, Mr. Death, Angel of Death, and Grim Reaper -- at least one has just left it as shinigami. "Soul Reaper" in Bleach was a special case, because that's how Tite Kubo envisioned the term in English. That's why the Viz manga and anime for Bleach use Soul Reaper. Death Note's an entirely different beast, so there's no telling what Viz will do for the translation.
Batajitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
I think will be translated to either angels of death, death angels, or gods of death, since many people would not know what shinigami means in an english market. then again becauyse its anime the peoiple might also already know..
fish1021

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Idont know if i can do a top ten but i can certainly do a top5 best and worst.

5 BEST:

1. s-CRY-ed- This is a great show because tons action and not as much dialogue (even though i enjoyed those parts) and Kazuma is awesome.

2.cowboy bebop- What can i say about this show that hasn't already been said...oh and it has a fantastic ending.

3. Naruto- While i will agree it is definitely dragged out, but it has a great cast of characters and it redefines what came to mind when i thought NINJA.

4. FLCL- how anyone could not put his on their list is beyond me. Great music, animation, and characters make you forgot the story doesn't make sense.

5. Rah-Xephon- I consider this to exceed EVA in every way and it seems a lot of people agree. Unlike EVA you actually like the characters and a overall better story.

Now the fun part:

5 WORST:

1. Colorful- A horrible attempt at adult humor.

2. Trinity Blood- It fails everywhere other shows like Vampire Hunter D and hellsing excel ( and whats with the huge shoulder pads?)

3. Ghost in The Shell- While i really want to like this show as i love the movie its just to boring ( an episode where all they do is talk in a chat room WTF!) even though theres moments where it shines it fails to entertain.

4. Prince of Tennis- A show about tennis LAME! i hated the main character and what up with that school why is everyone so pissed? One part did make me laugh though ( be it unintentionally)
Quote:
" I'll get him, him and his hat,"

5. Blood+- another bad vampire anime i can't believe this show is 50 episodes long!
Batajitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
4. Prince of Tennis- A show about tennis LAME! i hated the main character and what up with that school why is everyone so pissed? One part did make me laugh though ( be it unintentionally)

It's a sports anime, their angry cause they loose and anger helps adrenaline. You prolly didn't see too far into the series. And why is an anime about tennis lame? I happened to enjoy POT and i enjoy playing tennis as well, it has good animation styles and such, please state why a show about tennis is lame? Or do you simply not care for sports anime? In which case that would be a suitable reason, on the same side, if a show about tennis is lame? wouldn't shows about basketball, baseball etc also be lame by your standerds?

Quote:
1. s-CRY-ed- This is a great show because tons action and not as much dialogue (even though i enjoyed those parts) and Kazuma is awesome.

What makes scryed different from other fighting anime? What makes kazume who ever that is so unique?

Quote:
2.cowboy bebop- What can i say about this show that hasn't already been said...oh and it has a fantastic ending.

Why do you think the ending is fantastic?

Quote:
3. Naruto- While i will agree it is definitely dragged out, but it has a great cast of characters and it redefines what came to mind when i thought NINJA.

What previously came to mind? And how has naruto changed this? Also do you watch the subbed or dubbed version of the anime? (just curious)

Quote:
4. FLCL- how anyone could not put his on their list is beyond me. Great music, animation, and characters make you forgot the story doesn't make sense

I didn't put it on my list simply because the i wasnt interested in it, i didn't enjoy the characters, i found the humour although to be entertaining, to be pointless, i watched the first two eppisodes and stopped watching from sheer annoyance at the series. Also you can only make a top 5 wouldnt this indicate you havn't seen enough anime to be able to make a full top 10? In which case the reasons you cant understand why people wouldnt all put this on the top ten would make more sense...

Quote:
5. Rah-Xephon- I consider this to exceed EVA in every way and it seems a lot of people agree. Unlike EVA you actually like the characters and a overall better story.

Wowowowow ok now you're makin me mad. Why does it exceed eva? I enjoyed the characters from evam each at unique personalites and strong beliefs, and the story line to eva is unique in my opinion, yes the endings werent so great,but the biblical references and such, the characters devolpments, the way their history unfolded, i consider eva to be one of the best animes of all time and we all know its one of the most influential. You ever think maybe the reason raxephon was so succesful is because it was built on what the fans did not enjoy about eva? There is so much siumiliarities between the two. But saying the characters of eva werent liked? Damn, why don't you tell us why you think their not liked?

Quote:

Give us an example? What makes this more horrible then others, was it a hentai? or what? Some more info?

]Trinity Blood- It fails everywhere other shows like Vampire Hunter D and
Quote:
hellsing excel ( and whats with the huge shoulder pads?)

You;re comparing it to, two of the arguably best vampire shows and then making a judgement? Why did it suck, give examples, the shoulder pads would be chalked up to unique animation styles, that try to make the characters unique.

Quote:
. Ghost in The Shell- While i really want to like this show as i love the movie its just to boring ( an episode where all they do is talk in a chat room WTF!) even though theres moments where it shines it fails to entertain.

I know alot of people would argue with you here, but i do agree, i only saw one episode, and perhapes it was a boring one, but it turned me off the show, i also couldnt stand the movie, i did not enjoy the animation nor the story.

Quote:
5. Blood+- another bad vampire anime i can't believe this show is 50 episodes long!

WHY IS IT BAD? God you give so vague discriptions, it was based on a largly succesful movie, and i have heard some good reviews about this anime, aside from it apparently turning into a soap opra like show in later episodes, but why didn't you enjoy this anime? the animation styles? the art? Stop being so vague in your descriptions. Also if you're comparing it to hellsing and Vamp D remember that hellsing was only 13 epps long, and has currently 3 OVA out which is based on the manga, but still is now here as long as this show is, and Vamp D only has 2 movies, if both were dragged out through 50 episodes i think peoples opinions of these wouild be aweful as well.

Sorry about that, but the vague descriptions and such strong statements about very popular shows does make me mad, specially when the explination of why you hated them was so vague.
Sogekingu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wowowowow ok now you're makin me mad. Why does it exceed eva? I enjoyed the characters from evam each at unique personalites and strong beliefs, and the story line to eva is unique in my opinion, yes the endings werent so great,but the biblical references and such, the characters devolpments, the way their history unfolded, i consider eva to be one of the best animes of all time and we all know its one of the most influential. You ever think maybe the reason raxephon was so succesful is because it was built on what the fans did not enjoy about eva? There is so much siumiliarities between the two. But saying the characters of eva werent liked? Damn, why don't you tell us why you think their not liked?

While there are many similarities between EVA and Rahxephon both stories really are very different imo. Also, I was just wondering was rahxephon made by the same makers as eva by anychance? because I think it may have been said in an english trailer of rahxpehon but not sure though.

Quote:
I know alot of people would argue with you here, but i do agree, i only saw one episode, and perhapes it was a boring one, but it turned me off the show, i also couldnt stand the movie, i did not enjoy the animation nor the story.

Well Ghost in the shell is one of my fav animes (probably shoulda put that into my top 10 guess ill do that later Smile ) anyways I actually thought that both the movies and the series were amazing but thats just my opinion, and it kinda reminded me of those CSI and Law & Order shows but turned into a much better and amazing anime with an actual plot in the series.

Last edited by Sogekingu on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
[quote="fish1021"]Idont know if i can do a top ten but i can certainly do a top5 best and worst.

fish1021 wrote:

There's plenty to say about it, so say it. It doesn't matter if it's been said or not. If it's why you like it then list the reason.

fish1021 wrote:

I'm not bashing your choice here, everyone is entitles to think what they will, but if you think this redefines what "ninja" is all about I suggest you watch Ninja Scroll or Basalisk.

fish1021 wrote:

4. FLCL- how anyone could not put his on their list is beyond me. Great music, animation, and characters make you forgot the story doesn't make sense.

Plenty of people don't have this on their list, myself included. I'm sorry but screw animation and music, if a show has no story, or a very weak one, it sucks in my book. For me the story is what's important, not the distractions. To each their own as they say though.

fish1021 wrote:

5 WORST:

I'm amazed someone else has even seen this. You say it's a horrible attempt at adult humor, why? How does it fail at that?

fish1021 wrote:

2. Trinity Blood- It fails everywhere other shows like Vampire Hunter D and hellsing excel ( and whats with the huge shoulder pads?)

Just like with colorful how does it fail? Granted it's no Vampire Hunter D but I hope you simply don't like it due to "huge shoulder pads."

fish1021 wrote:

3. Ghost in The Shell- While i really want to like this show as i love the movie its just to boring ( an episode where all they do is talk in a chat room WTF!) even though theres moments where it shines it fails to entertain.

Well a good part of this franchise is to make you think and question your views on humanity. It's not supposed to be Motoko topless every other episode killing 50 people. If you say the series is too boring I take it you probably haven't seen Innocence then.

fish1021 wrote:

Is everything that's not Hellsing or Vampire Hunte D a bad vampire anime? I like my dark/horror/vampire anime so I'd love to know why, just like above, this show sucks and is bad? I'm sorry not every show with vampires can't be ground breaking.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quote
okay, we all know the rules and posting without giving reasons is definitely against em. Still I do we really need several different people diving on the dude and individually quoting him on each issue? Especially since he only has 1 post so its a pretty safe to say at this point he's not gonna post here ever again. Enough already.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
No we don't. As the rules state, please do not backseat moderate, just report the post and go about your business. A long lasting thread like these doesn't need to be dragged down so keep it on topic as well. The guy didn't provide enough info in his posts, that I agree with, but we don't need post after post about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Manganime00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Manganime00 wrote:
2. DBZ
Hated it. I just full plain out hated it from the beginning. I have no reason (besides it lack of entertainment) it's just SO bad./

You sure as hell better have a reason. I will not tolerate this sort of lazy dodging of the forum's rules.

Manganime00 wrote:
Everyone has their own sense of humor.
You have to see the specials and the second season of Love Hina to TRULY appreciate it.

Um, there was only one twenty-five episode season. Unless you're trying to get technical and divide it up between Japan's thirteen-week programming schedules, it was only one long season.

Okay fine I have a reason. I just thought it was too dragged out and there was relentless fighting and it was weird and creepy.
There's twenty-five episodes in the first, a christmas special, a spring special, then Love HIna Again. Love Hina Again is what I call the second season, even though it only has three episodes.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I liked FLCL a lot, I think I gave it an "Excellent" rating, but because it was so short and nonsensical, it didn't give me that emotional connection that's necessary to elevate it into the realm of the top favorites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 61 of 122