• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Ooh, I have a new crazy theory about Yuuki now. I think there is the possibility that spoiler[Yuuki is hospitalised and perhaps bedridden. It is why she is living in that world so much and acts so energetic, because she cannot in real life. The due date for getting names up may be when she is facing a life threatening surgery]. Granted that some of this I am taking from another anime I saw.

Heh, I know where you're getting that from and what character you're referencing, too. Wink

So we both know how this will end? spoiler[Asuna will be taken away from her abusive parent, and live with a middle age guy who plays the games. And then Asuna and Yuuki end up in a relationship].

Kirito plays the part of the dual weilding spoiler[Sora], he will spoiler[end up in a coma but will somehow appear later with his memory erased in a sequel].
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While I mostly agree with Bugnin's comments, wasn't it stated at some point that Asuna tried SAO originally as a way to get away from her family? That indicates that there were problems before Aincard.

No, that's what anime viewers speculated in absence of much information on Asuna's family situation, when what little information that was available indicated that she probably did not have the greatest of home lives.

This is one of those places where the directorial choices for the anime have hurt the adaption. They've cut scenes and dialogue for time, and prefer to not incorporate narration and character thoughts into the anime, instead opting for a much more "show, don't tell" approach. Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't. This is one of those times it struggles to work, especially with the cuts to dialogue. For example I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the last episode or two is the first mention anime only viewers have seen of Asuna's brother. He should have been mentioned back in episode ten of the first season but it was cut. Leaving people with greater trouble understanding things on down the line.

Anyways, as to how Asuna ended up in SAO, from the first novel: spoiler[During the bedroom scene that was at the end of episode ten of the first season, in the novel Asuna mentions the game wasn't something she bought, it and the NerveGear were her older brother's. He'd been called away on business just before launch day, leaving Asuna with the first opportunity to play it. Then, in the side story from the second novel that would become the two Yui episodes of the first season, as well as the side story that was cut down to become episode 2 of the first season, spoiler[sections of narration makes it clear Asuna's brother isn't a gamer. He's a businessman who never played video games as a kid due to spending time living up to parental academic and career expectations. So when he brought home a NerveGear and a copy of SAO excited about it, Asuna was curious enough to ask to try it when he was stuck going out of town on business on launch day.]]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode #20 is horrible in story.

Authors turned Asuna into mentally disabled person who saw spying lizard, did nothing about it, and saying later "my mistake".

Another face-palm moment. Authors were lazy to come up with drama that would not make hero stupid/mentally challenged. I can not stop being amazed how low the quality of scenario of this anime is.

Also, the group of high-level players not knowing about the lizard trick? Highly doubtful.

The teams this show presents are also improbable. High level teams are almost never of mixed gender (due to practical reasons), it was done in this show only for stupid harem/dating game BS, it is not natural or genuine part of the project. If anything, it makes the setting less believable, not more.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok Mr Superstar MMO player, what would you do about the lizard when you are seconds away from wiping in a raid?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
High level teams are almost never of mixed gender (due to practical reasons)

For example?
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
The teams this show presents are also improbable. High level teams are almost never of mixed gender (due to practical reasons), it was done in this show only for stupid harem/dating game BS, it is not natural or genuine part of the project. If anything, it makes the setting less believable, not more.

I had vowed to never to reply to your drivel again, but this is just too offensive to not reply to. What "practical reasons" are there to not have a mixed-gender team in a video game? This is a video game. Despite the fact that different genders look different, there is no physical difference in abilities. To imply that there are "practical reasons" why people whose only differences are the fake implication of reproductive organs is offensive and sexist.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

I had vowed to never to reply to your drivel again, but this is just too offensive to not reply to. What "practical reasons" are there to not have a mixed-gender team in a video game? This is a video game. Despite the fact that different genders look different, there is no physical difference in abilities. To imply that there are "practical reasons" why people whose only differences are the fake implication of reproductive organs is offensive and sexist.

High level teams are almost never of mixed gender you say? For practical reasons? And what exactly are those reasons? Because chicks are stupid and can't play? Because a dungeon party is for men only? I would love to know what these supposed reasons are. In one MMO I played the guild leader of my guild was a mother of 2. Two of our top players were female. In Guild Wars 2 my friend is very adept and a top tier player. I know several others who play WoW. So beyond being rude and ignorant your comment is also simply ridiculous.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
He's being igonrant on purpose. simply saying ignorant things about the show isnt getting him the attention it used to, so he's upping the ante and trying to be sexist to get replies.

[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. -TK]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
High level teams are almost never of mixed gender (due to practical reasons)

For example?

There being no girls on the internet, obviously. Rolling Eyes
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I've not read the manga.

spoiler[I read somewhere that televised version of Asuna has aids, which would mean she may not live much longer if not treated. Are the anime writers playing on this a new angle to sell the show?]
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I've not read the manga.

The source material is a novel series, not a manga.

Quote:
spoiler[I read somewhere that televised version of Asuna has aids, which would mean she may not live much longer if not treated. Are the anime writers playing on this a new angle to sell the show?]

spoiler[Asuna is not sick. The anime is making no substantial plot changes to the series.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Although MaxSouth is certainly wrong about there being almost no mixed-gender high level teams in MMOs, it is possible that his parenthesised comment was referring to the fact that there are far greater numbers of males than females who play such games. That being said, the majority of end-game MMO raid teams that I have seen have had at least one girl in them. The guys do tend to have a much higher presence though, so yes, SAO's tendency to have girls outnumbering guys in raid groups does not ring true.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
of all the things to gripe about in the show and the multitude of things that just don't make sense, a guild of Six with 3 guys and 3 girls is the least believable thing about this story arc and overall show? I just find that, among other things, really dumb
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I've asked this question before and never got an answer I remember, but... is there a reason to believe that the gender of the characters in game corresponds to their real-world gender?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I've asked this question before and never got an answer I remember, but... is there a reason to believe that the gender of the characters in game corresponds to their real-world gender?

In the original SAO a number of players entered the game posing as the opposite gender. However the rules were changed and their avatars were converted to true gender, resulting in a few embarrassing revelations. (you're a guy?)

As far as I know every game since the original SAO has been with every character being true gender, with the possible exception of Kirito getting a trap avatar in GGO. And he takes advantage of it now and then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 89 of 115