• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

1990 (Wikipedia don't read further than first paragraph) actually. I think they purposely updated it with smartphones and such so it wouldn't seem outdated. I think they've done a pretty good job of integrating modern details so far.

Oh, that's clear, and in the same way they did other changes as far as I know (some of the character designs [the main character never wore glass], names, etc.), but I was talking more about the way the dialogues are. Magic Kaito 1412, based on a manga about as old, also includes laptops with videocalls and other stuff, but the dialogue is still old-school style.

One-Eye wrote:
Its been a long time since I read the manga, but if I recall correctly the issue with the mother was handled the same and did seem a little convenient. However, if you think of it like a random accident or random act of violence it might help. There was a little more to the girl that he met going to the beach (I want to say she was in middle school in the manga) in the manga that they cut out here and him meeting her felt more like genuine coincidence than convenience.

I only comment it because it felt too coincidence for me that it distracts me for a few seconds and it could be more tied, but later as I'm watching the episode I forget about it because I'm into the situations, so it's not biggie at all.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Grade: A

What more accolades can I give to this great anime? At almost a third of the way through, Parasyte has done great things with the development of Shinichi, and I wait with anticipation to see what happens next week.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing the manga in like the early 2000s in a copy of Mixx my brothers had. God I wish I knew where it went...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shinichi has shifted much further from human than before - with a full thirty percent of Migi's mass now circulating in his body

I'm not really sure what this means. Migi started out as something that weighed maybe 5-10 grams? What it has become is mostly due to appropriating a portion of Shinichi's mass. Are those cells now Parasyte cells or human cells under Migi's control? When Migi uses those appropriated cells to heal Shinichi, are they still (if they were) Parasyte cells or do they revert to being human cells again? Or are all these appropriated cells a hybrid that's neither Parasyte nor human? Are such hybrids the norm, seeing as how human tissue can't turn into metal blades? Is hybridization the essence of what a Parasyte is? Which leads me to wonder how they reproduce in a way that would propagate anything resembling a species.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Shinichi has shifted much further from human than before - with a full thirty percent of Migi's mass now circulating in his body

I'm not really sure what this means. Migi started out as something that weighed maybe 5-10 grams? What it has become is mostly due to appropriating a portion of Shinichi's mass. Are those cells now Parasyte cells or human cells under Migi's control? When Migi uses those appropriated cells to heal Shinichi, are they still (if they were) Parasyte cells or do they revert to being human cells again? Or are all these appropriated cells a hybrid that's neither Parasyte nor human? Are such hybrids the norm, seeing as how human tissue can't turn into metal blades? Is hybridization the essence of what a Parasyte is? Which leads me to wonder how they reproduce in a way that would propagate anything resembling a species.

Yeah, and it's oddly contradictory how they eat the species of their hosts. If they kept doing that, they'd run out of hosts and starve. What gives?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
I really liked the small detail of Shinichi wincing and looking away as his mother's face broke into the parasite blades - even if he's concerned about his humanity, moments like that reveal clear human emotion without a word.

I liked that too but what was more important about it was that it made Shinichi's win a bit more plausible. Had the enemy parasyte been able to fight wearing his mom's face he might not have been able to proceed with enough focus. As it was he nearly lost just because of the scar on her hand.

Gina wrote:
Which leads me to wonder how they reproduce in a way that would propagate anything resembling a species.

Eh. I really wouldn't try to apply any real science to this anime. They do a great job at "rules consistency" that makes the story believable within its fantasy context but real world biology was thrown out the window long ago.

We haven't seen their method of reproduction but at this point I would be more prepared to expect that they are manufactured rather than reproduced. In which case they are not a naturally evolved species but possibly a bio-weapon from some alien race. It is interesting that Migi has not said a line on the subject and I have to wonder if he doesn't know or is it that he is withholding that information (as is his habit) from Shinichi as a measure of caution.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
It is interesting that Migi has not said a line on the subject and I have to wonder if he doesn't know or is it that he is withholding that information (as is his habit) from Shinichi as a measure of caution.

I remember Migi mentioned early on the show that he had no actual clue of what he or his species are or where they come from, just that they have this pre-fabricated directive of "going for the brain" (by Parasite's comment this week) or "devour humans" (according to Ryoko)

I definitely agree with Nick in that the series excels in the little details that give so much depth to characterization. Apart from Shinichi wincing and looking when his mother's face was morphing, I really appreciated Uda's dialogue "I know she wasn't your mother any more, but I still think you shouldn't be the one to kill her". I think that single thought alone gave us so much more on what kind of person Uda is than most of the rest of the episode.

I'm also really happy that he survived, I was worried he'd be killed off to push Shinichi further over the edge, I'm especially happy to know he has a real ally now.
me_barron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
What?!?!?! No mention of that new character that psychic girl and love interest confused for Shinichi, who obviously has a parisite? Or is that Shinichi all sexified as an after effect of the parasite Razz ?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
Haha, spoiler[Jaw] (Parasite) is voiced by Murase Ayumu! Totally perfect fit though at times I couldn't help but chuckle because it was Hinata's voice with a parasite's face, er, mouth. Anime hyper

The pacing of the series is spot on. Not too fast, not too slow. The clliffhangers definitely have me pulling out my hair at times however. I definitely look forward to this series every week.
Foozakeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
Never read the manga. Any opinions as to how long the anime will run for? Is the manga still running?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Foozakeru wrote:
Never read the manga. Any opinions as to how long the anime will run for? Is the manga still running?

The anime will be 24-26 episodes. The manga ended something like 20 years ago.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The manga ended something like 20 years ago.

I read the entire manga this past week and it's funny seeing the readers' column since the people who wrote in were like 19-29ish at the time. Those people are now in their 30s and 40s. Anime hyper
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 8 (A-) & 9 (A)

Great review from Nick. Thing are definitely changing a lot, and it feels like something huge is about to happen. Also, I like that secondary characters are increasingly becoming a bigger part in the main story.

And I think effective animal is a great way to describe this new Shinichi.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
just finished watching parasyte ep 9 though it seemed like they skipped over some stuff guess theyre pushing to finish it quick.

huh ep 8-9 review came out today? guess i must have missed last week's, I was sure i read it with shinichi coming back and all. oh well lets see what it says: We got two episodes today...We got two episodes today(echo)...We got two episodes today(echo)...

Son of a (censored)

(quickly searches for episode 8 even though knowing full well he ruined it for himself)
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I actually feel a little skeptical about this, most at all because of the weird execution. I like the ideas and many scenes, but other stuff felt a little forced, like the world basically trying to screw up with Murano and Izumi's relationship to a tiring point (I mean, it gets tiring so many scenes where they're about to come to terms but something convenient happens and they're in the same/worse position again, or Murano repeating like ten times that Izumi has changed). Not a fan either of the love triangle to screw thing more (even though it's used in a classical 'Izumi getting close to different live-minded girls according to his actual mind' it's just 'eh', and the delinquent girl's crush came a little out of nowhere). And some things like the dog scene felt very old-school in how it was handled with all the direct actions and dialogue describing right exactly what they think about dog, life or comparing between the old and new Izumi, kind of distracting.And finally how forced is glasses-girl (name?) in all of this with coincidentally a brother who is investigating the parasytes, she realizing about Shimuda just by luck and facing him stupidily (there is the bottle she has prepared, but come on girl, it's a man-eater monster that you heard from the news ripping off bodies and from your brother, stop being idiot and thinking that if you say 'go away (because you won't kill me in a lonely room with nobody looking)' and he will be like 'okay got me') creating a contrived conflict for the next episode. It's felt very clumsy this time.

Those were my nitpicks, for the rest I was good, I like seeing Izumi struggling with himself and how he didn't realize how much he changed, how much he and Migi talk now and they are kind of becoming one, father's struggling with mother's dead in contrast with Izumi, confessing to his son about her death, Izumi handling the delinquents, etc. Because this parasyte looks like a bridge for future situations I hope later we will have more plot aside of the school environment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19