• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Toad to Victory

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I thought Nintendo had made it clear that Toad, the character in games like 3D world, and Captain Toad, from this game and the mini-games in 3D world, were 2 different, distinct characters?
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They're better off not seeing it or any other episode of the cartoon, so I'll explain.

I just wanted to say, I love the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, and it ranks among my favorite cartoons of all time (I still pop in the DVDs a couple of times every year to rewatch). It's lighthearted goofy fun, and the live-action segments are also great, starring the late Captain Lou Albano as Mario. So if you like campy cheesy humor, it's a fun show that I'd recommend.
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
NES remix looks fun but I dunno if I'll get it becaues it looks like something I'd beat and be done with after about 2 hours
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Man that Captain Toad game looks nice, really great visual style. I have a Wii U but not enough money to buy games for it at the moment, so I'll be holding off.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Izuna ever manage to find a job.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
NES remix looks fun but I dunno if I'll get it becaues it looks like something I'd beat and be done with after about 2 hours

I think you're missing the point of NES Remix. It isn't simply about "beating it", but rather trying to top high scores & enjoying the ways Nintendo messed around with a bunch of their NES games.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I want that Etrian Odyssey Rougelike, while I've only beaten the first game (with frustration enough to not pick the rest of series up again, they makes SMT easy in comparison), that game won't be so hard since I've played almost every Eastern made rougelike ever made with little to no issues and quite a few Western made ones as well.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I suppose it's not a bad way to catch up if you skipped Birth By Sleep or Re:coded, but there's not much new in 2.5 Remix apart from extra cutscenes, boss battles, and weapons.

I just want to remind any KH fan who is not aware...
Even if you're not into the cutscenes (which you can watch online) or the weapons (which are, frankly, not that impressive), the boss battles you will find in this version of KHII and KH:BBS are a HUGE reason to get the game. Having just played the game in Japanese and reached the end, Terra's lingering will, a boss only available to KHII:Final Mix (and thus, this game for most Westerners), has got to be one of the HARDEST, if not THE HARDEST boss in the entire franchise. And the extra boss(es) in BBS come very close as well. I still haven't gotten close to beating any of them and I am level 100 on all. Not to mention, they're extremely creative and fun to play against, despite their difficulty. The battles get really intense. I'd recommend it to any KH fan in a heartbeat. The new content in 2.5 is much higher than the new content in 1.5 for Western gamers.
Not to mention, if you've missed BBS on the PSP, now's a great chance to play what is easily my favorite game in the franchise. I would've never thought a handheld KH game could feel so much like the console games, but possibly even better, and the story is extremely mature in comparison to the rest of the series (excluding 358/2 Days, which comes in at a close second in my books). I love tragedies and this one played heavily into that component of storytelling for me. I was left in tears by the end. Play it and I promise you won't regret it.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Ah crap, not more Hatoful Boyfriend. Before long, it'll be getting a sequel...
Drac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I thought Nintendo had made it clear that Toad, the character in games like 3D world, and Captain Toad, from this game and the mini-games in 3D world, were 2 different, distinct characters?

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is just going the Smurfs route when it comes to naming these characters. They even have Toadette/Smurfette who serve as the sole "girl" character.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for 2.5 ReMIX next week.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Quote:
I suppose it's not a bad way to catch up if you skipped Birth By Sleep or Re:coded, but there's not much new in 2.5 Remix apart from extra cutscenes, boss battles, and weapons.

I just want to remind any KH fan who is not aware...
Even if you're not into the cutscenes (which you can watch online) or the weapons (which are, frankly, not that impressive), the boss battles you will find in this version of KHII and KH:BBS are a HUGE reason to get the game. Having just played the game in Japanese and reached the end, Terra's lingering will, a boss only available to KHII:Final Mix (and thus, this game for most Westerners), has got to be one of the HARDEST, if not THE HARDEST boss in the entire franchise. And the extra boss(es) in BBS come very close as well. I still haven't gotten close to beating any of them and I am level 100 on all. Not to mention, they're extremely creative and fun to play against, despite their difficulty. The battles get really intense. I'd recommend it to any KH fan in a heartbeat. The new content in 2.5 is much higher than the new content in 1.5 for Western gamers.
Not to mention, if you've missed BBS on the PSP, now's a great chance to play what is easily my favorite game in the franchise. I would've never thought a handheld KH game could feel so much like the console games, but possibly even better, and the story is extremely mature in comparison to the rest of the series (excluding 358/2 Days, which comes in at a close second in my books). I love tragedies and this one played heavily into that component of storytelling for me. I was left in tears by the end. Play it and I promise you won't regret it.

Additionally, BBSFM also includes an entire extra chapter, knowledge of which is actually important for future installments. Heck, Kingdom Hearts 3D assumes you already know about it, and if you read too much of the info, you'll get spoiled.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
Awesome. I've been wanting to check out Hatful Boyfriend and the Vita seems like it would be great to play it on.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget the Kingdom Hearts Sora pin! Official Disney Pins themed on Kingdom Hearts are very few and far between, and having some rare pins myself, this one caught my eye. I'll pass on it though, as I don't have a system to play Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix on, and it was a pre-order bonus only.

That being said, if I find that pin at a good price somewhere, I'll get it. I'm sure there are more people who had pre-ordered the game than are interested in that pin, so some of these pre-orderers would sell off those pins eventually.

Kikaioh wrote:
I just wanted to say, I love the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, and it ranks among my favorite cartoons of all time (I still pop in the DVDs a couple of times every year to rewatch). It's lighthearted goofy fun, and the live-action segments are also great, starring the late Captain Lou Albano as Mario. So if you like campy cheesy humor, it's a fun show that I'd recommend.

I have both of the DVD sets as well as the one for The Legend of Zelda myself. Too bad the second set doesn't have all of the live-action segments.

To this day, I frequently think about the errors in assigning lip flaps to characters in "Hooded Robin," the best being Toad speaking but Koopa moving his mouth and the second-best being Luigi speaking but...a fish in the moat moving his mouth.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mario is the hero, cheery and determined and usually successful
Mario is NOT a hero. He's a sadistic psychopath. But hey, that's just a theory.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1