• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noitamina Announces Punch Line Original Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginko29

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
Uchikoshi Koutarou is better know for Zero Escape series though... and I've thought that he had more fans Here? Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I'm surprised more people didn't react to his name.
I can't wait to see what kind of story he'll write this time!
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
The solution?

No underwear, no problem.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
The solution?

No underwear, no problem.

Lol, It'd take a lot of courage for a girl to go without underwear. Don't know what to think of this anime. Very peculiar
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
An anime original that plays like a checklist of otaku fare? That's not new.

I like the character designs, especially the main image involving everything. But it kind of reminds me of a certain manga series where the world will end if the main character has sex.

This one's a lot more "huh".

NoitaminA, with Nanana's Buried Treasure and Saenai Heroine no Sodate-kata, seems to be on a crusade lately to subvert otaku bait shows and tropes, or at least do titles that mess with the formula and content a little. Can't argue with that, for they are certainly there for the mussing. That said, Maruyama seems to be a little more "fresh" with the content in his MAPPA shows… Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
An anime original that plays like a checklist of otaku fare? That's not new.

I like the character designs, especially the main image involving everything. But it kind of reminds me of a certain manga series where the world will end if the main character has sex.

This one's a lot more "huh".

NoitaminA, with Nanana's Buried Treasure and Saenai Heroine no Sodate-kata, seems to be on a crusade lately to subvert otaku bait shows and tropes, or at least do titles that mess with the formula and content a little. Can't argue with that, for they are certainly there for the mussing. That said, Maruyama seems to be a little more "fresh" with the content in his MAPPA shows… Laughing

Why does it feel like so many shows need to be some subversion of some trite formula that doesn't really need it. It feels too much like trying to have ones cake and eat something too and I'm really growing weary of this whole subversion/deconstruction phase of anime as something to be celebrated. This industry needs to start coming out with some more genuine and non-ironic quality shows that hook people based on their own merits as opposed to hooking people deconstructing and lampooning (except not really) otaku things they are either previously disinterested in or don't like. It feels somehow really disingenuous and kind of half-assed.

The only sort of lampooning of anything recently that feels at all genuine and like not just trying to have it both ways was that Me!Me!Me! video.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
This industry needs to start coming out with some more genuine and non-ironic quality shows that hook people based on their own merits...

Hear, hear! There was a time when noitaminA was where you could reliably go to get away from LN/VN style otaku bait.

With their history of doing josei comics, I keep hoping they'll go back and maybe do something classic from the artists who started it all -- like another Riyoko Ikeda series, or maybe something by Moto Hagio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2