• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Yoshiyuki Tomino Shares Thoughts on Working with Attack on Titan's Tetsuro Araki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
Having a laborious animation process doesn't excuse any problems you have with the show's writing, or for me the annoying editing and cuts. It's easy to think of anime that must have had a ton of serious effort put into them, but they still outright suck.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
Kamieichi wrote:
Quote:
Tomino also says that he doesn't understand the reaction he's gotten about Gundam Reconguista "because they don't see [the work we put into it]. If they saw it, they would realize they wouldn't be able to do the work."

Actually, this part is mistranslation.
Original line:放送が始まってからの視聴者の反応は「分かりません。なぜなら見ていないから。見てしまうと仕事ができなくなる」
It says "I [Tomino] don't know the viewer's reaction about Gundam Reconguista because I don't see it. If I see it, I can't do my job".

Oh wow, that's a grave mistranslation for ANN's part. And most people here (including me) were not pleased with his attitude because of this mistranslated line.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Kamieichi wrote:
It says "I [Tomino] don't know the viewer's reaction about Gundam Reconguista because I don't see it. If I see it, I can't do my job".

Seconded. With ultra-literal phrasing:

"As for the reactions of viewers since the broadcasts began, 「Don't know. Not seeing. If see, will become unable to work.」

Tomino's quote contains no subject in Japanese (a fairly common heachache in J-E translation). The first translation assumed he was talking about the viewers. The second one interprets it -- correctly as far as I can see -- as Tomino talking about himself.
GW-9800

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
(and that's saying something given that he's the one who was behind such "gems" as Garzey's Wing, Brain Powerd and Zeta Gundam).

lmao, no one considers Brain Powered and Garzey's Wing to be gems.

Zeta Gundam is a masterpiece though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
GW-9800 wrote:

Indeed, that was my point.

GW-9800 wrote:

If you say so.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
GW-9800 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
(and that's saying something given that he's the one who was behind such "gems" as Garzey's Wing, Brain Powerd and Zeta Gundam).

He actually hates pretty much anything Sunrise and Gundam, he's making a dumb point that goes nowhere.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

GW-9800 wrote:

If you say so.

Most people do. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
I'm just happy to see something about Tomino which is positive. From what I hear he hasn't had anything positive to say since Victory Gundam.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Tomino is being able work with younger animators who did like his previous work.

Reconguista being geared towards children now makes more sense to me due to the goofy behavor going on. However, I think its not being handled as well. I've watched alot of anime from earliers of the 1970s, 80s and bad 90s. Many those animes were consistered for general audiences verses children. I always believed in shows from 1970s which include Tomino's original Gundam series, Space Battleship Yamato, Macross, Dirty Pair, and others that it was handling children a different way than children west are treated entertainment wise. West looks and thinks children are ignorate or developmently would not think sophicated while East does treat them with more intelligence and savy back then.

Now, things are different. Anime is being done completely different way than Tomino. There are those who remember way it used to be so we still get good animes once in a while. I'm not sure Reconguista is good example of trying to adapt to modern times/viewers. Children are far from innocent and unfortunately lots are into popular trends like anime girls, magical girl, moe, kawaii themed items. Its hard to say now what audience current anime is aiming for anymore.

Reconguista has story, I like that about it. Balancing between general audience/ childen is not working as well given how the dubs are coming out. I'm not sure Tomino really understands youngest generation anymore. How they are very changed (no matter where /raised/from culture). I'm not saying there won't be fans among the younger teenagers, but its hard to say now. We aren't action pack boys/girls we use to be.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
GW-9800 wrote:

Brain Powered was a cool series hampered by a non conventional approach to mecha design and a very short number of episodes. It should have been a 50 episode series to flesh out in full the motivations of the characters.

Quote:

If that's all it takes to make you happy then so be it. Twisted Evil

As for Garzey's Wings, the english dub is shit. The OVA not so much.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm just happy to see something about Tomino which is positive. From what I hear he hasn't had anything positive to say since Victory Gundam.

What positive message was in Victory ? That he hates all women ? Laughing
Turn A had a positive message, but most taliban fans don't like it, want to guess why ? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Kamieichi wrote:

"As for the reactions of viewers since the broadcasts began, 「Don't know. Not seeing. If see, will become unable to work.」

Tomino's quote contains no subject in Japanese (a fairly common heachache in J-E translation). The first translation assumed he was talking about the viewers. The second one interprets it -- correctly as far as I can see -- as Tomino talking about himself.

As Kamieichi and vanfanel have said, methinks Tomino Yoshiyuki said, 'I don't know reactions from people who watch Gundam Reconguista, because I don't read them. If I read them, I will be not able to work.'
Maybe Mr Stimson stumbled over '分かる' in the sentences in question and erroneously thought it meant 'understand (i.e. perceive the meaning of)'. But, as Shin-meikai Kokugo-jiten says, 'わかる 知りたい(はっきりさせたい)と思っていた事柄について、正しい情報が得られる', in that case, Tomino's '分かりません。' would be 'I don't know.' (If he had said, '知りません', the stylistic feel may have been surlier.) Anyway, those sentences are not very difficult to read.
As I mentioned before, British Japanologist Dr Carmen Blacker, who could read works by Minakata Kumagusu in the original, used Nihongo Daijiten. It may be better for Mr Stimson to check his skills and resources related to the Japanese language.

MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Cptn_Taylor"]
GW-9800 wrote:

MarshalBanana wrote:

What positive message was in Victory ? That he hates all women ? Laughing
Turn A had a positive message, but most taliban fans don't like it, want to guess why ? Rolling Eyes

That's not what I meant, I should of worded it differently. I meant that was the point where he started being miserable old man.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I'm really liking G Reco I have two friends that are also watching it maybe it helps to have someone in person to discuss it with.

Same here, I've been enjoying it as well.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Kamieichi wrote:

That is a pretty massive and careless error. I'm glad some people actually bother to click the link for the source... I didn't care enough to, lol.

There is no way the implied subject was the audience. I really don't see how anyone would get that after seeing the original lines. The previous line was about what Tomino said before it started airing and the follow up was pretty clearly asking for his opinion on the audience's reaction after it started airing. Now maybe if you just looked at that one sentence in a vacuum, it could maybe be a little unclear (personally, I still think it is pretty obvious), but if you look at the context clues provided by the previous sentence then it should be incredibly obvious.

I actually like that Tomino isn't listening to responses. If a director has a clear vision, they should just go with it rather than listening to the opinions of viewers and letting that potentially impact decisions. Doesn't change my opinion on the series so far... hopefully he can pull out an amazing second half but I'm pretty skeptical.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
While we may have our opinions on Tomino, one thing that is important with Tomino is that he helped work on the original Astro Boy anime. That is, he helped make this series and thus helped pioneer anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3