• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What shows are you holding out for Blurays?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Here is the juden-chan commemorative blu-ray box, it was released about 2 years ago and got bad reviews.
My mistake, I guess that's my fault for checking pirate sites for Blu-Ray rips/raws instead of actual stores. But I guess that just means the Blu-Rays were so bad that nobody wanted to rip them. Sounds similar to the case of Qwaser of Stigmata, where the Japanese Blu-Rays were bad enough that having DVD-only here wasn't that much of a loss.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't understand what kadokawa is doing. They without hold the blu-ray release of zombie and sell us an expensive DVD. Then, when they actually release the BD it is a dirt cheap super saver edition.
If anything, it'd make more sense to go the "BakaTest 2 / Princess Jellyfish" route and sell an expensive BD in an upfront LE, and then do DVD-only later for the cheapskates who waited for a re-release.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
What do you think about the future of 4K scans for anime coming out in Japan? Strictly movies and OVA or TV series also? I believe Giant Robo has been the only title thus far to receive the "treatment"...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
The future is bright for 35mm. There's no reason they can't be scanned at 4k if not 8k save for shitty film stock like what Justin mentions was the issue in the 70s and early 80s. If a TV series was shot on 35mm, I don't see why it wouldn't also benefit as well, like Escaflowne. I'd still like to see hundreds more anime at least get routine HD transfers before we get into the future, there's so much stuff out there that can only be seen through the lens of old component masters: Odin, Geist, Lemnear, Plastic Little, Burn Up. You know, the good anime everyone loves to hate.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
The future is bright for 35mm.

This is assuming that the studio actually saved the film version of a given anime. I gather from some of the things said in reference to specific shows that is not a given. Apparently some of the studios considered anime to be disposable and, of course, some are no longer in business at all.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
Yes I am running off that assumption because there's tons of proper BDs out already and I'm sure many more are yet to come out. I don't operate under the idea that all anime negatives have been destroyed or lost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2