• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Good Luck Girl and Ben-To Will Be DVD-Only

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Oh I may not get Binbogami ga!. This and the fact that one of the main characters is being voiced by Todd Haberkorn, makes the show a hell of a lot less desirable.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to take it this has to do with reverse importation, right?

But this doesn't make any sense at all. Japan and UK/Europe blu-ray region codes are different:

So it doesn't make sense to make these 2 anime DVD-only. But here's something else that doesn't make sense: don't European DVDs (including UK) and Japanese DVDs share the same region code:

So shouldn't it be blu-ray release only instead of DVD only release if they're worried about reverse/parallel importing? Unless there's another reason for it. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
No, it's more likely to be Manga can't justify an expensive Blu-ray release on a small market where it's not likely to make it's money back.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
We're coming into 2015 4K gaming on a single card is just round the corner and they're still pushing DVDs lol. Would not be surprised if they weren't having issues money wise.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
It's nothing to do with reverse importation. It's just Manga being useless.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
No, it's more likely to be Manga can't justify an expensive Blu-ray release on a small market where it's not likely to make it's money back.

st_owly wrote:
It's nothing to do with reverse importation. It's just Manga being useless.

OK, I'll take back whatever I said about reverse importing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
While in this instance it is unlikely to be relevant, region codes have little to no bearing on licensor holdbacks.
Ironically, Manga have stated that in some cases it is cheaper for them now to release on BD than it is on DVD - i.e. if they would have to create their own PAL masters but there are ready-made BD masters available for them to use. These releases seemed to be the proof of that pudding, so what has changed is unclear (whether technical, economical or logistical).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
While in this instance it is unlikely to be relevant, region codes have little to no bearing on licensor holdbacks.
Ironically, Manga have stated that in some cases it is cheaper for them now to release on BD than it is on DVD - i.e. if they would have to create their own PAL masters but there are ready-made BD masters available for them to use. These releases seemed to be the proof of that pudding, so what has changed is unclear (whether technical, economical or logistical).

OK that is really weird from what you said, if it's easier to release and cheaper to release anime on BD then DVD, then what the heck is up with decision making to release Good luck Girl and Ben-To on DVD only??

Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1