• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What happened to beyond the boundary?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought they promised a US 2014 release?
it's been over a year now and 2014 is almost over
of course, this is a kyoto animation show, so...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
People still trust Sentai's release date promises? Heck, they still haven't managed to slop out a CR-script copy+paste disc pressing of Familiar of Zero F, and that was promised "later in 2012"! And that's a JC Staff show, so the common thread is Sentai. Perhaps the best thing to do with Sentai release dates is add a 3 +/-2 handicap to whatever year they say. So something like Familiar of Zero F that was promised in 2012, it should be out sometime between 2013 and 2017. Or for Beyond the Boundary (which they haven't even said if they're taking the time to dub or not), maybe we can expect it somewhere between 2015 and 2019.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was rather doubtful that they would put out the 4th ZnT series before the 2nd and 3rd. But hey, at least they announced the second season is getting released so there's progress on the ZnT front (and the second season is far and away the best anyway).

As for Kyoukai no Kanata, I can see it coming spring/summer 2015. Look for a solicitation soon.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
From AX. It is coming. It's just a matter of time.

Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Yeah, I was rather doubtful that they would put out the 4th ZnT series before the 2nd and 3rd. But hey, at least they announced the second season is getting released so there's progress on the ZnT front (and the second season is far and away the best anyway).
They hadn't even announced the 2nd season at that point, and still haven't announced the third. But I didn't think they'd have a problem putting out the 4th series before the 2nd and 3rd, because they didn't have much of a problem skipping the To-Love Ru OVAs between the first season and Motto. Or how they released Love Love? without its two previously-aired companion series that introduce the characters and allow it to make a bit of sense. It's all part of the master "shotgun blast at the wall and hope something hits pay dirt" Sentai strategy.

WTK wrote:
From AX. It is coming. It's just a matter of time.
I trust that it's coming eventually, but Sentai's got solicitations up through March, with no BtB in sight. So "coming soon" means "in at least 9 months."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize that BtB was getting the "Super Limited Deluxe Edition" treatment (not just limited but SUPER limited).

I like the show a lot, but I think I'll just stick with the regular release... whenever that is.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
There seems to be a common thread of physical releases and Kyoto Animation shows; Of the last three, it's been standard dubbed DVD and no BD of Tamako Market, standard subbed {early} DVD and super LE BD/DVD dubbed combo of Chuubiyo and super LE BD/DVD combo of Beyond the Boundary.

Call me paranoid but there's a pattern here.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

This may end up being like Love, Chunibyo & other Delusions! Note that they are offering a "Super Limited Deluxe Edition" at two to three times the cost of the standard edition. The kicker being that if you want a Blu-ray version or a dub version you are stuck with the pricey limited edition. I wonder how long before that comes out in a standard Blu-ray version.

That is what Viz is doing now. Look at Blood Lad and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, standard edition DVD only. If you want a Blu-ray you get the combo pack at almost twice the price.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
@ Alan45: ugh, I had either forgotten/didn't know that little detail. Yes, that does blow. Thank you, AoA, for spreading your noxious strategy to other R1 distribs. Much appreciated.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

Could be much worse actually. Hidamari Sketch X Honeycomb was licensed by Sentai way back in September of 2012. Their press release clearly stated the home video release would "follow in 2013", and yet not only was it not released in either 2013 or 2014... they still haven't given it a date, and we know it can't possibly come out before April of 2015 (their release schedule is pretty set until then). Who knows when this show will finally appear in one of their monthly solicitations.... We're talking about a show that finished airing 24 months ago, so yeah... could be worse!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
People still trust Sentai's release date promises?...Perhaps the best thing to do with Sentai release dates is add a 3 +/-2 handicap to whatever year they say...Or for Beyond the Boundary (which they haven't even said if they're taking the time to dub or not), maybe we can expect it somewhere between 2015 and 2019.

This is an unfair way to characterize Sentai's release schedule. For the most part they release sets within 15-18 months of the license being announced. In the case of Familiar of Zero and Hidamari Sketch, it looks to me that they are releasing the newest seasons until they release (or rerelease on BD) the previous seasons first.

Animegomaniac wrote:
There seems to be a common thread of physical releases and Kyoto Animation shows; Of the last three, it's been standard dubbed DVD and no BD of Tamako Market, standard subbed {early} DVD and super LE BD/DVD dubbed combo of Chuubiyo and super LE BD/DVD combo of Beyond the Boundary.

This issue is due to coincidences, not some kind of pattern. IIRC Sentai announced that they were doing a DVD release of Tamako Market first and BD in the near future (probably due to licensing issues). Chuunibyou would have been released subbed-only on both DVD and BD back in May if Sentai had not done a 180 and decide to include a dub. And it is too early to be worried about the status of Beyond the Boundary. I bet it will be released with a dub in a BD/DVD combo this upcoming April or May (18-19 months after the license announcement).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Could be much worse actually. Hidamari Sketch X Honeycomb was licensed by Sentai way back in September of 2012. Their press release clearly stated the home video release would "follow in 2013", and yet not only was it not released in either 2013 or 2014... they still haven't given it a date, and we know it can't possibly come out before April of 2015 (their release schedule is pretty set until then). Who knows when this show will finally appear in one of their monthly solicitations.... We're talking about a show that finished airing 24 months ago, so yeah... could be worse!
Huh, I hadn't noticed that Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb hadn't come out yet. I guess Sentai's optimistic that people will wait 3 years for a random mix of SHAFT broadcast and home video version episodes.

Though Familiar of Zero F still has that beat, with a license announcement in January '12 promising a 2012 release, and still no street date.

angelmcazares wrote:
This is an unfair way to characterize Sentai's release schedule. For the most part they release sets within 15-18 months of the license being announced. In the case of Familiar of Zero and Hidamari Sketch, it looks to me that they aren't releasing the newest seasons until they release (or rerelease on BD) the previous seasons first.
That is indeed a possible explanation, but they haven't shown any qualms about completely skipping seasons of other franchises (again, To-Love Ru and the m.o.e. Trinity) in the past, so I don't see why they'd suddenly be so concerned about order here. What was stopping them from licensing and releasing Familiar of Zero 2-3 back in '09-'11 (or '12-'14)? As we saw with Hell Girl, they don't have a problem with doing sub-only releases of sequels to shows that other companies have dubbed and released, so I don't see why the latent Geneon/Funi distribution of Season 1 would've held them back. I'd be fine with a standard 15-18 month gap (as was standard for most companies in the 00s), but when they constantly make specific release year promises that they fail to keep, it breeds cynicism.

I know I'm giving Sentai a hard time here, and I admit that I don't know what might be going on behind the scenes in terms of licensing, contracts, materials issues, etc. But I thought that part of the advantage of the leaner, meaner Sentai over its previous ADV incarnation (which often had resources tied up dubbing everything, including surefire megahits like Aura Battler Dunbine, Cyber Team in Akihabara, and Papuwa) was its quick turnaround times and low delays between announcement and release. Even if the releases are DVD-only for HD shows to thwart reverse importation, or have mediocre/non-existent dubs, or have subtitle errors, or have the TV broadcast versions, the release speed was supposed to cancel those disadvantages out. If they lose that, what do they have left?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
If they lose that, what do they have left?

The rights to a lot of good shows. The shows are not interchangeable. If you want a legitimate copy of the later Familiar of Zero seasons or the Hidamari Sketch show noted above you have to wait on them. It would be nice if everything shipped here within a year of broadcast, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. It is a pain but what can you do?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1