• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuki Yuna is a Hero (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think she did think it through. spoiler[She thinks a quick death is better than the purgatory of eternal life as a log.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I had considered that, but spoiler[purposefully killing your friends is just as stupid. Hell, by giving them more Vertex to fight she's only going to speed up the process.]
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Why is spoiler[killing her friends stupid? I mean, I can get the argument in the abstract sense, but in the context of Togo's thoughts, killing her friends is the only way she can save them.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I understand all that, but it's still stupid in principle. spoiler[She should know her friends better than that. She should know they would willingly sacrifice their bodies to save everyone. She should know they wouldn't want the rest of humanity to die because of them. Yuuna is for sure going to make Togo realise this through a hardcore befriending.]

Oh, and just to be clear I'm not accusing it of being bad writing or anything. Even smart people do stupid things when desperate.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I had considered that, but spoiler[purposefully killing your friends is just as stupid. Hell, by giving them more Vertex to fight she's only going to speed up the process.]

Togo believes what she is doing is spoiler[saving them from a fate worse than death.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Togo has spoiler[become suicidal]. I cam see why she might spoiler[emotionally lose it and decide to just end it all because she things it will end the suffering of her friends, but it is not the right decision]. Granted they have been spoiler[slapped by the system that lies to them, and their parents are knowingly benefiting from their daughters' sacrifices]. Sure they get spoiler[worshipped, magical fairies and lots of things, but they did not want that].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Togo has spoiler[become suicidal]. .

The Taisha are just lucky they aren't dealing with Ai Enma.

Taking the story at face value, the gods that the Taisha worship are all about self-sacrifice. They committed themselves to becoming spoiler[a tree in which humanity could survive in the sea of keyboard-tooth-beings.] I'm not sure I buy that story yet.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it's possible that Togo spoiler[is banking on the fairies to keep her friends alive, but I'd image the fairies would lose their powers if the Shinju was destroyed.]
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Are you not getting the impression that she's spoiler[trying to kill them]? Because that's what it looks like to me. Why would she spoiler[bank on fairies keeping them alive, when that's exactly what she wants to avoid?]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm simply considering multiple possibilities.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
See, now here's an example of laying it on thick. spoiler[In order to wring maximum amounts of suffering out of it, Karin goes Mankai 4 times consecutively. She loses the use of an arm, a leg, her ears, and her eyes. Firstly, Are Mankai so weak that one hit from a Vertex is enough to dispell it? Secondly, doesn't some sort of meter need to fill first before it can be used again?]

When I said SAO II ep 22 is small potatoes, this is the sort of thing I was comparing it to.

However everything was still pretty good overall. Tense, action packed, and much hype for the finale next week.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, no. But nice try. (By which I mean no, it's not so blindingly obvious that one is worse than the other that a person must necessarily be full of crap if they feel oppositely, which was the discussion in the SAO thread)

Though I do agree that spoiler[her Mankai seems to be made of glass]. And I'm a little disappointed that they couldn't spoiler[come up with original ways of crippling their characters.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Well they certainly have set themselves up a tragedy.

I can't decide if Togo is right or wrong -- certainly something needed to change they couldn't just go do business as usual forever. But even if so I am not sure this was the right way to go about it.

Short of a miracle I don't see much chance for a happy ending here.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Out of all the wrongfulness of Togo's actions, the most cruel is that she alone decides for everyone, and that she doesn't talk about it with her supposed friends. Just because she's weak. That was neither a smart, nor a kind way to deal with things.
Bad Togo, I think I might have ended up hating her now, no matter the outcome.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I actually really liked this episode, although it might be that I really like Karin so I really liked her parts in this episode. There seems to be the complaint of wspoiler[hy Karin would have to use Mankai multiple times with it failing], while personally I think it makes sense. Karin was spoiler[pushing it way too far, she killed all the small fry and the big ones without having to seal it]. It was an awesome battle to watch and I was a spoiler[total sucker for the sadness of the consequences to Karin].

As for Togo's actions, she is suicidal, she tried to commit seppuku. It is wrong to think that she had been emotionally stable through the series. Togo has usually been calm and somewhat logical, but personally I have found a part of her to be a little unnerving. Well really it was that I almost never saw her push herself which made me feel like it could have psychological implications, and I was disappointed in how she was psychologically handled at the start of the series.

Wait a minute, last episode looks to come out on the 25th, I wonder what we will get for Christmas?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11