• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ai Tenchi Muyo: Miscounted Episodes, possible S2, or Rushed Ending!?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
So, watching the series weekly, episode 50 would air on Friday (Dec13) That means the entire series would have to wrap up in 4 minutes tomorrow at at episode 49 (as episode 50 would be a looking back) OR the current counts people have taken from both stream sites as well as the original airing title cards are wrong. (Note, I am watching from Japanese TV web site, but am looking at streams for the purpose of this discussion, as to episode counts)

I can see no way for the entire story arc to conclude in the four remaining minutes in tomorrows episode 49. This leaves me to conclude that the Looking Back episodes do not count as episode and that in actuality we are at episode 38, which seems much more plausible. If this is truly the 48th episode, tomorrow is the last episode, expect massive disappointment unless a second season is planned!! However, I'm not seeing it!

EDIT: Episode 49, no ending, Episode 50, looking back part 10, so the the looking back episodes apparently do not count as episode.

[EDIT: Please use the Edit button, next time, instead of double-posting. Thanks. -TK]
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
We're actually only on episode 40, 5 more episodes come next week and 5 more the week after (tomorrow is the last recap) according to the calendar on the official site.

http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/calendar/index.html

So it will have to wrap up in 10 episodes remaining. We won't be seeing a second season because from all I'm seeing it did poorly.

Going by google trends, the show slumped massively after premiere and never recovered:
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=愛・天地無用&date=1%2F2014%2012m&cmpt=q

You also see their official twitter feed, which had 2,000 followers before premiere, only grew to ~3,200 followers by now. Japan is the country that sets twitter records because it adopted twitter as it's social network of choice... having tweeted 143,000 tweets in a second over Castle in the Sky on TV.

The only remaining lifesaver will be if DVD/BR sales do really well in Japan. It will come out in 3 sets, 1st to be released in January, then February and March. Pre-orders have been disappointing so far. It's almost $180 in total...

It's too bad, while imo it's really poorly done Tenchi Muyo, I do like Momo and Hachiko. I don't like getting attached to characters that won't be seen again :/
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
No one cares because they're pointless shorts that shortchange the old characters in favor of too many bland new ones in a dumb highschool setting.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
It really is horrible. I got stuck somewhere in the mid-30's and I'm just not sure I'll bother catching up. I'm a huge Tenchi fan but even I have trouble finding anything good about this thing.

The worst parts of "Tokyo", "GXP" and even Magical Sasami projects can't reach the nonsensical levels of terribad this series achieves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
It is starting to have something of a plot connected to the Jurai now, and it's somewhat circling back to the main Tenchi characters. But yeah, the main cast's status quo hasn't changed.

I had hoped to see some development in the original characters, but knowing this was mainly a side story with a large new cast, I didn't really see that happening.
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I do hope Tenchi and Momo kiss before the series is over, though Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1