• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Selector Infected + Spread Wixoss (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
spoiler[Changing a character's name this far in is going to be weird.]

Also, it's about time they confronted spoiler[Hanayo.]

A name is a reflection of identity, spoiler[Just as "Iona" used to be known as Kuro the "bad girl" she now takes on her new name as Yuki, a name reflecting a desire of personal serenity as well as the nature that her color may become as white as snow especially when considering her "super powered" additional growth level]

Also consider that many of the girls that became Lrig's became apathetic to what they were called with Yuzuki being the exception instead of the trend as it seems the "curse" of becoming an Lrig effects there memories somewhat, especially when they have dived into the cycle several times.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know the release date of the soundtrack for this season? The spoiler[Eternal Girl contract signing's song] was brief but quite something from the latest episode imo.

Loved the action as well. And also, spoiler[it's about time that Kazuki found out the truth. I hope Tama plays a major role next time as Yuki is down for the out right now. Mayu's speech about feelings was also quite something too.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Damn, so intense. Much hype for next week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

That preview spoiler[was creepy], probably since we have spoiler[found out that Mayu has died, there is not going to be a happy end here]. Yuki is spoiler[disappearing, and a way to save her might be to have Tama and Yuki fuse together, obviously we will call her Tamayuki]. At the same time spoiler[Ulith is doing her thing with Mayu, trying to keep the despair going].

It looks like we will finally see the tower finish, or whatever it is, and things will happen. How does spoiler[Mayu come out of this]?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I am saddened this series got such a low count on the viewer popularity poll, it means people simply are not watching it and not that it is a bad show by any stretch (barely 2% of the vote ratio!).

I have been eating it up and will recommend this to pretty much anyone that can take on there fair share of modern anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Finale:

Felt like the finale was spoiler[rushed a bit but was enjoyable overall with a proper conclusion that didn't leave me saying "HUH?]" spoiler[GG Ulith. I never liked her in the first place. And Ruko makes her final resolve with her selection. Although it's a bit kiddish, I find it to be selfless with her personality; one that is pure and honest.]

Good series overall. I think I actually enjoyed this more than the first season with the buildup. Even Chiyo got her spotlight compared to her lackluster role compared to the previous season. In the spoiler[very final scenes, it looks like Tama became a girl in the real world as well. Good to know that the others are back too]. Rating this as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
An excellent finale to an excellent series. There are a few questions still up in the air but that's fine. I'm just glad spoiler[everything all worked out for the best in the end.]

I'm really going to miss it. It's the greatest card game anime that's not actually about the card game.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12

Did spoiler[Tama, Yuki, or Mayu become real]? It was a happy ending but it kind of refused to answer if spoiler[Lrigs who were never real became so]. Did they spoiler[meet Hanayo again]? Did all become friends, including with Chiyori? Oh, spoiler[22:15 has Fumio and the Lrig that took on her identity]. I really would have liked confirmation of whether Midoriko was Fumio, that is one question I want answered. There are other things about the ending too, about 22:09 has Chiyori slump down after missing a chance to talk to Ru, which we then see someone peek around the corner with what could be with a long pigtail which may have been Eldora. Were we meant to recognise spoiler[the girl Hitoe saw on the train, because she looked a little like Iona which had me think of Yuki].

For a kind of lack of some things I wanted to see, I can't help but think of Black Rock Shooter, which really was quite similar, and I think had a stronger ending. But not bad. I liked Tama spoiler[and Yuki joining together and creating "Mayu"], it made a really emotional ending that worked quite well. If I had to name one thing that was great about this season, it was Yuki, which was known for most of it as Iona. The series knew that we would dislike Iona since she pushed Tama out of the way, but it really made her one of the more interesting characters and a friend lf Ru also.

I think this season was better than the first, so I am rating it Very good, although it is probably a low one. If you liked the first season you need to watch the second, it had some good characters, episodes, and drama. The card game in this series has never really bogged down the story, it is largely a character piece that could be creepy, happy, cool, and emotional. I think kind of beautiful.

Please give us a small OVA where we can get final closure, but as is it is not bad as closure either. I might watch that ending again, the music they had with all the hope feels really pretty.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Did spoiler[Tama, Yuki, or Mayu become real]? It was a happy ending but it kind of refused to answer if spoiler[Lrigs who were never real became so]. Did they spoiler[meet Hanayo again]? Did all become friends, including with Chiyori? Oh, spoiler[22:15 has Fumio and the Lrig that took on her identity]. I really would have liked confirmation of whether Midoriko was Fumio, that is one question I want answered. There are other things about the ending too, about 22:09 has Chiyori slump down after missing a chance to talk to Ru, which we then see someone peek around the corner with what could be with a long pigtail which may have been Eldora. Were we meant to recognise spoiler[the girl Hitoe saw on the train, because she looked a little like Iona which had me think of Yuki].

spoiler[Whether or not Tama and Yuki became real girls is one of those things left for the audience to decide. That final shot gives some hope that they did.

The ending bit shows most of the major LRIGs as humans. The girl getting on the bus was Piriluk, the girl in the park was Hanayo, and the one Hitoe meets on the train is Midoriko.]
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I really would have liked confirmation of whether Midoriko was Fumio, that is one question I want answered.

As Vaisaga answered (and I agree) spoiler[I thought the girl who met Hitoe on the train was Midoriko (and thus is not the same as the original Fumio) That makes a lot of sense given their interaction there which was rather sweet. Probably one of the ones I was quickest to catch, after Piruluk who easily got my attention since I had read some of the spin-off manga based on her. Hanayo I initially missed because I wasn't paying attention to the fact she was watching Yuzuki and Kazuki, but since she was that is likely her.]

Quote:
Please give us a small OVA where we can get final closure, but as is it is not bad as closure either. I might watch that ending again, the music they had with all the hope feels really pretty.

Yeah, I'm hoping there is at least some sort of epilogue material too. There are quite a few things I'm rather curious on like spoiler[how Akira managed after the Selector business was all over. Kind of looks like the real Iona may have played a positive role for her. I'd like to see Hanayo meeting Kazuki as herself, and some closure to those relationships. Piruluk's appearance brings a bunch of questions to my mind that are more related to the spin-off manga (which hopefully will be answered in that). And lastly, I don't think I ever spotted anyone I thought was Yuki, which seems like a rather depressing exclusion (that should be clarified) if so, given Tama's appearance. She shouldn't be looking like Iona, though, since that's not who she was originally.]

But either way, I'm rather pleased with the note this ended on.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
The ending is a very curious thing, I think it works out fine on a character level but on a mythos level it is as crazy as any wish granting magic could possibly get.

spoiler[I think the final girl at the end is a reborn/"woke up from an anime coma" Mayu, Hitoe and co never really find any proof that Mayu is truly departed and just as well her body could have been moved to a hospital.
Mayu's "world of light" appearance is based upon the story book fantasy girls she had read about akin to how some of the other Lrigs transform into much more extravagant forms, so for me there is little doubt that the final scene girl is simply Mayu with her soul returned which might not have been connected to Ru's wish if the real Iona is to be believed (though it wouldn't hurt to help).

The power of friendship winning the day didn't feel so contrived as it didn't cause a giant wave motion explosion, in a way it IS satisfying that the "villain" Ulith is defeated with an anti climax as she clearly wanted to use the current Lrig system to indefinitely cause suffering to as many other girls as possible.
.]
Lord of the Fleas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
So, spoiler[ Ulith was not a Selector but was killed in the end? Does that mean there is a spare body lying around for Mayu to inhabit? How convenient... ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12