• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - What Price Freedom?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
BVUSA made a lot of dumb mistakes, but I'll give them credit for trying desperately to avoid cheating their customers who'd bought the pricey discs.

Actually, they did cheat customers with that excised Gunbuster music cue.

As for that Route 66 thing, if it takes place in the future, they could just argue it's an alternate reality where it didn't get decommissioned.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Really nice article, good read. Never realised that the cup noodle industry was so wealthy, ha ha hah.

I think many sections of Route 66 have been preserved for tourism and nostalgia reasons, and to keep the tradition alive. Communities have even gone so far as to repaint the iconic logo on the road in the nicer sections.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
The product placement just seems unfitting and jarring in that anime but something like Gugure! Kokkuri-san it would fit in nicely.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
^
Hah, I was just thinking that. Kohina could hawk them in the show and then there'd be a fourth-wall-breaking gag where we see her getting paid for her services.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I find it to be appropriate that they got Johnny Yong Bosch to be in this since he was Kaneda in the Akira redub.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I get the reference for the Apollo 18 names. I won't ruin the surprise for those that don't. Laughing

I remember seeing ads for this in an old issue of Newtype Magazine, back when those still existed. Something about the whole thing seemed kind of bland... but I was way younger then, and not as appreciative of slower-paced sci fi.

The whole thing with HD-DVD was one heck of a weird moment in history. I mostly remember it because it was also a part of the conflict in the console wars between the XBox 360 and the PS3. Glad that that useless bit of format genitalia-waving is over.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I got the reference, but I'm not sure what the connection to Apollo 18 is. Is there one?

There is also a movement afoot to recommission US Route 66, although many oppose it since it would require the roadways to be brought up to code, thereby destroying some historical sections that have been preserved. But many still functional sections have just been renamed Route 66 or given state route 66 designations, so it's not a terribly grievous error since, as long as we don't have to follow them driving it end to end, portions are still possible. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1