• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertising Survey Feedback

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
Answer the survey here before posting in this thread.
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Good to see we finally get to voice opinions about the underlined in-text ads. They completely disrupt reading, and makes the site almost unreadable on mobile.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
The only adds on the site annoy me are the ones that start a video when you move the mouse over it.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
The only ads that bother me are the double underline ads and this video ad for a pickup truck that keeps popping up. Not sur how I feel about advertorials. They should be clearly labeled, but the fact that I haven't noticed one yet makes me doubt they are.

Edit: I should add that I appreciate that ANN is thoughtful enough to consider their readers on this topic.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:24 am Reply with quote
I apperciate ann doing this.

I use a tablet a ton and double underline ads are the most annoying thing on this site, even more so then the occasional troll if you ask me.

I don't mind the rest of anns ads at all. Though I think I might know what advertourials are I am not sure so I am just going to say no they aren't marked well enough. As long as they are honest and are marked I welcome them though.
WYfox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of the in-text ads nor the ads that activate on mouse over. My biggest complaint is with advertorials. They just seem, I guess, dishonest. It completely removes any objectivity and introduces bias.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:25 am Reply with quote
I feel bad, but I had to end up getting adblock. I can`t stand intrusive & spam & malware ads. Which all I`ve gotten from here.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:52 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it's just my good luck, but despite having whitelisted ANN, I've only noticed ads related to anime and whatnot, and never--thank god--ended up getting the noisy ads. Though I find the double-lined ads, especially the ones that expand with mouseover--highly intrusive. XP
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
For the record, I've been using various tools to block ads in browsers since the mid 1990's, almost 20 years.

On ANN I don't see but the occasional Ad, which usually means that without the various blocking tools there would be a lot of Ads. I'm aware that the Ads are ANN ( and other web site's ) source of revenue, but while I have no intrinsic objections there are just too many intrusive, distracting, junky or outright malicious Ads being served up to allow anything thru.

Mark Gosdin
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:13 am Reply with quote
The more ads become intrusive or objectionable, the more likely I am to block them. I clearly recall a specific ad for vehicles that was an animated overlay that screwed with the way the site was displayed. Once that happened I blocked ads completely on the site for a good while. If the site is unbearable with ads, the ads have to go. I said yes to the double underlined ads because they don't affect me necessarily in my day-to-day viewing, but after inspecting their contents after taking the survey I can see exactly why people hate them. So I would more than likely say no to them if I were to retake the survey.

Edit: Since I found that I can edit my responses to the survey, I went ahead and made the necessary changes.

On a slightly related side-note, I was just updating my Ad-aware software when I saw this survey. So go figure; good timing I guess.

Last edited by Mc-Taz on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
The only type of ad I find completely unacceptable are ones that play sound automatically. I whitelist sites like ANN that I visit regularly, but I'll turn Adblocker back on in a heartbeat if that crap starts up.

(Incidentally I was not aware that Adblocker has a "block only intrusive ads" function until I did this survey)

Could someone give me an example of the "Advertorials"? I don't mind their presence on the site at all, I just don't recall seeing any yet.
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
on occasion i turn off Ads block and click a bunch of ads.

The underline text part in the site is unacceptable to me. it felt like a throw back to 2003. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I'm aware that the Ads are ANN ( and other web site's ) source of revenue, but while I have no intrinsic objections there are just too many intrusive, distracting, junky or outright malicious Ads being served up to allow anything thru.

Yup. My experience on the internet is more important to me than someone collecting ad revenue. Whitelisting ANN just for that Cowboy Bebop event was enough to reaffirm my stance, the kinds of ads and completely unrelated underlined text in articles were a headache.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
What is an advertorial?
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
The only ads that I complained about were those that play a sound or expand on load or mouse-over. Those are distracting and intrusive.

I do not know what a double-underlined in-text ad is, or an advertorial.
Maybe Adblock Plus takes care of those for me.

I think that I will disable Adblock Plus for a while just to see what people are talking about.
Probably should have done that before taking the survey.
Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4