• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow.....I really thought the series had concluded at 9 volumes.

That. Is. Awesome. Very Happy
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Too profitable for that Laughing
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I honestly don't care for it. spoiler[It isn't ALO-bad but Kirito is surrounded by a completely new cast for a huge chunk of it. It sets the stage for an epic return of the old cast but it takes so long to get to that point.]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Still.....Kirito's in it so that makes me happy. :]

Nearly all of my new favorite series get cut short at thirteen episodes nowadays so this is just really exciting for me.

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I honestly don't care for it. spoiler[It isn't ALO-bad but Kirito is surrounded by a completely new cast for a huge chunk of it. It sets the stage for an epic return of the old cast but it takes so long to get to that point.]

Sooo, it's like every single arc after Aincrad, then?
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
It actually brings out the best character development in Kirito. It just comes at the expense of everyone else.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm REALLY bloody excited....\(゜▼゜)/
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Too profitable for that Laughing

They could also break off from the novels and just go with an original season too. Plenty of popular shows have done such things to milk the show for as long as they could. Hopefully in this case if that ever happened it wouldn't be to the point of it ruining SAO. If they had to do an original season, with original content, though I'd be game to watch it.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode #23 was much better than previous ones, where you were hit by endless "everyone got ill, died and is going to die, and then character's favourite eraser got lost, and an aunt got a ticket fine today" all-around full-on tear-gas attack.

This episode was more subtle than that, and the grandparents' part was a moment of genuine storytelling.

Of course, there are always things to critique (like surprisingly archaic distant presence systems for 2024), but in this episode those are insignificant as it delivers.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

(like surprisingly archaic distant presence systems for 2024),

what does this mean?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

(like surprisingly archaic distant presence systems for 2024),

what does this mean?

This means that even now "telepresence" systems are better than what was shown for supposed 2024. Authors are sloppy on "sci" part of this whole "sci-fi" thing.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. The example being shown in episode 23 is beyond any current technology because it is viewing a real world from a virtual world, whereas current telepresence schemes (and that is, by the way, still a relatively nascent technology) are about making connections between two different physical locations.

It's still pretty cool regardless, and I thought it was very well-handled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The example being shown in episode 23 is beyond any current technology because it is viewing a real world from a virtual world, whereas current telepresence schemes (and that is, by the way, still a relatively nascent technology) are about making connections between two different physical locations.

It's still pretty cool regardless, and I thought it was very well-handled.

I don't recall the example referred to in Episode 23 in particular, but everyone should be aware that the VR shown in SAO is simply impossible given the limitations of physics as we know them regardless of the level of technology. In order for it to work they way they show it they would have to have FTL communications.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I don't recall the example referred to in Episode 23 in particular, but everyone should be aware that the VR shown in SAO is simply impossible given the limitations of physics as we know them regardless of the level of technology. In order for it to work they way they show it they would have to have FTL communications.

How so?

To those not in the know, we are possibly looking at social elements in the future since Facebook does own the major VR tech company. Apparently the major thing holding it back is a controller that is easy to use while goggles are on. There is also neurogaming as part of brain computer interface, although it is apparently really new, buy who knows what may happen in 10 or so years.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
How so?

Progress is being made on brain-to-computer interfaces but let's assume the huge technological gaps between the story and current state-of-the-art are overcome. Those guys over at the Singularity University absolutely live for the idea that will happen and they will all be able to cheat death by uploading themselves into AI platforms. I have a lot of optimism around technology but that isn't my field.

Telecommunications is another matter. The major problem with SAO's world is the speed of light limitation. The story stipulates a global game space where people duel or otherwise interact with each other with a real-time experience. The problem is that communications networks have latency. That's the time it takes to get information from point A to point B. The latency is made up with switch/router delays which we could expect to improve over time plus plain old speed of light.

I am sure you have heard of Flash Trading where high-value firms program computers to perform stock trades with sub-millisecond reaction times. To them it makes a difference whether the Ethernet switch I sell them has a latency of 5 microseconds or 4 microseconds. One firm is spending I think $100M US to lay a fiber between Chicago to New York to reduce their network latency by 10 milliseconds or so. They will get their investment back and then some in no time.

Us common people don't notice this so much but even those of use who simply make international phone calls learn to wait before speaking because there is typically of 250ms (quarter of a second) latency on a phone call between the U.S. and Japan. If you don't pay attention to that you spend a lot of time recovering from when both parties are speaking over each other.

So what does this mean for the SAO VR world? Even assuming a tech latency of near zero (not likely but assume) the delay of information from continent to continent couldn't be less than 30 ms or so. (NY to Tokyo is about 10,000km) In an international game with this kind of latency you couldn't have a gun duel. You wouldn't see your opponent draw and shoot until she had already got her shot off. Same goes for her. The problem gets much worse when more than 2 parties are involved in the interaction.

Today's multi-player games are constructed so that large latencies aren't (usually) detrimental to the experience. I don't play online games but I know people complain about getting killed a lot when they have a bad internet connection. And typically those games don't feature fast-draw contests like a duel. If someone knows of one I'd like to know about it.

The only way around this limitation I can think of is if the dive-gear changed your perception of time. If you were slowed where real time looked was actually 30 ms and subjective time (for all parties in the VR) was 3 microseconds then it could be made to work. You would still have to have stunningly fast 3D simulations and I would question the scenario where a bullet hits a bullet intentionally, but assuming that the SAO VR world could be made for real. However the story seems to indicate real time and subjective time are at a 1:1 experience.

Sorry for the long nerdy post. Here's some more on the subject. I still like SAO and will watch more if they continue it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 107 of 115