• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah. I've fallen behind with the manga, so this sort of explains the reasoning behind this episode. I still think devoting an entire episode to his back story was unnecessary at this point, regardless of whatever staffing, time or budget constraints the program is experiencing.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
So next week is about the Hyuuga sisters' relationship, it seems
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Ep 389-90

I didn't even remember Hinata had a little sister, so this was a good pair of episodes for me, for all the reasons mentioned.

I wouldn't go so far as to characterize Hinata's watching Naruto train as creepy, or even stalking. I feel like that word has been overused to the point of trivializing actual stalking and it's starting to bug me.

She watches him train to be inspired and to silently cheer him on. She's happy to catch a glimpse of him elsewhere. That's it. She doesn't follow him everywhere, break into his house to touch his possessions, send him anonymous presents and love letters, have irrational fantasies about how much he loves her back. It's just your harmless, garden variety adoration from afar, posing no threat or worry to him or interfering with his life in any way.

The last person you want actually stalking you is a ninja. Smile
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
Maybe i should start watching Naruto afterall. I've only seen 16 episodes or so. xD 500+ to go...

Instead of thinking watching all the episodes you haven't seen that have been produced so far, I'd suggest thinking of dividing your viewing in terms of arcs within the story. Watch an arc or two full of episodes at a time, take a break and then come back.
Yea, because there is alot anime left i still didn't see. The main reason i only watched about 16 episodes so far is that those first 16 episodes arent so exciting. But my bro told me it starts to get good after the first assignement.

Skip the filler arcs.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I think what really got me about this special was how a HUGE chunk of the Naruto fandom actually guessed Hanabi's character incorrectly. I...never expected her to be cute as a button when she was little (well, I probably SHOULDA guessed that considering her sister is HINATA, one of the most adorable characters in the entire series) nor did I guess she'd actually idolized Hinata and was deeply hurt by how her father turned his back on her as well as tearing down the image of the perfect sister she'd built up. Heck, the previews and trailers for the movie (including the special opening that aired with the special) hint Hanabi as kinda spunky and a bit mischievous, teasing her sister. Definitely a more original way to do her considering how the Hyuuga are supposed to be a very traditionalist family.

Some other thoughts I'd like to get into is how the episodes kinda don't expand on the sisters enough. The first one does show the two interacting, like Hinata playing with her sister despite finishing up a grueling sparring session. The second one is really just Hanabi observing things and commenting on them. And I don't think she has a single line with Neji. Still, a better way to do filler than a clip show. At least this one manages to expand upon a character and show some interesting introspection. Even if it is just a way to build into the movie considering how Hanabi has a key part in it.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
I know it's considered fairly hip in the Naruto fandom to malign fillers, but in my opinion, many of them do a decent job of presenting original stories in the world Kishimoto created.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I know it's considered fairly hip in the Naruto fandom to malign fillers, but in my opinion, many of them do a decent job of presenting original stories in the world Kishimoto created.

Fair enough. The two months of Kakashi episodes a while back certainly did so, and even if the main purpose of these episodes was to remind everyone before the movie opens that Hinata has a sister and here's who she is, these were enjoyable to watch.

The worst fillers are usually the ones that focus on made-for-filler characters, or are just blatant excuses for clip shows -- like Naruto collapsing with a fever after Sasuke attacked the five Kages' summit, for no other reason than to hallucinate flashback after flashback. I think I can even remember seeing a flashback within a flashback once(!)
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Good point. I'm definitely not a fan of the clip shows, especially the ones with flimsy setups.

During the year-and-a-half of pure filler between the original series and Shippuden, I seemed to be the only person who was relatively pleased with the episodes that aired. I thought the one-shot humor-heavy episodes were well-done and found most of the mini-arcs to be reasonably entertaining. They didn't strike gold every time (Mizuki as a tiger chimera, for example), but personally, I thought there were more hits than misses. Best of all, I can only recall ONE clip show airing during that period.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Moving forward, the producers will hopefully work on some of the pacing issues that have plagued recent episodes

A filler arc is starting next year so fat chance of that happpening
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
If it's entertaining filler, I can live with it. If it's a series of superfluous clip shows, then we have a problem.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

yeah I liked a lot of them too and while people moan about Narutos filler even at it's worse it's still a lot better than the filler some other series have (a lot of the Bleach filler comes to mind)

although the series for the best filler is One Piece I havn't watched a One Piece filler arc I havn't liked
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
"I'm not dead. I'm getting better. I don't want to go on the cart." So when everybody's toast, who'll be left to have the flashbacks?

I don't know why they even bothered picking up the story again for what, 3 episodes? Did they not have any filler to slip between the filler episodes?
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This episode is the start of an entirely unnecessary filler arc that takes place between the first Naruto series and Naruto Shippūden.

It's necessary to buy time for staff to be available to work on the climax of the comic's storyline. Why the heck would they rush into adapting the climax when none of their good staff are available?
Kitsune_the_Demonz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Seriously here, I know with the manga past done the fillers are unnecessary(mostly all Naruto's fillers) but least this story had that bit of tied between the main story because Fuu is there and this 2nd(or whatever is) Chunin Exams. That really a harsh review. I'm sure the staff intended to continue the Naruto's anime a little longer until the end of the year.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's necessary to buy time for staff to be available to work on the climax of the comic's storyline. Why the heck would they rush into adapting the climax when none of their good staff are available?

I think I've said as much in this comments section before, but I doubt the vast majority of viewers possess an encyclopedic knowledge of the show's staff. If an episode is sub-par or downright bad, people shouldn't let it off the hook because *insert director, storyboard artist and/or key animator here* was unavailable.

Having read the review, I didn't get the impression that the episode received a below-average grade because it was filler - but rather, because it was boring. Also, despite being someone who's generally pleased with Naruto's anime-original stories, I agree that peppering the final battle with lengthy filler arcs gives the series a very disjointed feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 44