• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Different Story GN 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine likes this spin-off manga more than the show itself, and I think I've clarified her thoughts with this:

If the anime used well-written characters as mere devices to drive the plot, then this manga spin-off uses the anime's well-written plot as a mere device to drive the characters.

Characterization and character development are where this installment excels for sure. It's been a while since I've cried while reading a manga (anime adaptions of manga usually make me cry more than the original manga simply for the execution and the impact of the voice acting), but I'm most definitely satisfied with this work. Hanokage's storytelling is probably my favorite aspect of his/her work, though when the Rebellion manga comes out in the West, I definitely think Rebecca will find the art a loooooot better. Hanokage's work evolved greatly between the original anime adaption manga and The Different Story, and the same major jump happens from The Different Story to Rebellion, which in itself is an art piece worth looking at. It ends up being almost as good as the film itself, due to great pacing and the inventive artistic execution of the story where things went visually wonky in the film.

And this is somewhat unrelated, but I have a question, Rebecca. You used a female pronoun to refer to Hanokage, but I've yet to figure out whether or not he/she is male or female. Did you make an assumption, too, or do you know something I don't?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I felt like as a hardcore fan of the show that I must buy this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to Rebellion, and I have to say that I've enjoyed the manga versions that Hanokage has worked the best, although I did like Oriko quite a bit. As for Hanokage's gender, I read somewhere that she's female, so I went with it. I kind of wish that "ze," the gender-neutral English pronoun, had caught on, because I'm just not comfortable using "they" as a singular pronoun, even though it is technically once again acceptable. Dumb, I know.

And Jose Cruz, I would definitely read this as a hard-core fan, especially if you like Mami.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I'm looking forward to Rebellion, and I have to say that I've enjoyed the manga versions that Hanokage has worked the best, although I did like Oriko quite a bit. As for Hanokage's gender, I read somewhere that she's female, so I went with it. I kind of wish that "ze," the gender-neutral English pronoun, had caught on, because I'm just not comfortable using "they" as a singular pronoun, even though it is technically once again acceptable. Dumb, I know.

I see Hanokage's gender pronoun as feminine on the fan-made puella magi wiki, but I don't particularly trust the wiki with every small detail (even if it's still a good site for general collective information). Hanokage's pixiv, twitter, blog, etc. do not specify, though I guess it's safe to infer that Hanokage's a girl, since she called a few male Fire Emblem characters "cute", among the several female characters she draws. I still don't like making assumptions about gender/sex, but in Japan, these sorts of things are still a lot more straightforward than they have become in the West in terms of gender profiling.

And we're all set in our ways, though I, too, wish the gender-neutral pronoun caught on. "They" is still confusing to use when I'm translating because on the one hand, it's grammatically incorrect, but on the other hand, it's becoming socially acceptable to use it, and thus, may be becoming grammatically okay. Language is fluid, so I have no problem adapting if that's the case, but since the word is still in transitive limbo, I still feel uncomfortable using it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
"They" isn't incorrect so much as informal(it's rather hard to call something that fills a unique gramtical niche for centuries). Its stature is definitely rising with the need for a replacement for generic "he"; while it's not yet 100%, it's only a matter of time, really.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I agree - it will become the new gender neutral. Hopefully by then my old-school elementary school training will let me use it more comfortably! As a point of interest, I have had a few students use "ze" as a gender-neutral singular pronoun, and they've been very enthusiastic about it, so it does have its fans.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
the problem is that the title is very misleading. sure nami doesnt end up dying in this spinoff but the ending remains the same. madoka still made the contract, became an uber magical girl,but erasing herself from existence and all other magical girls before they have the chance to become witches. so in a sense , it might not be worth it. at least the others was different and had a solid enough ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
the problem is that the title is very misleading. sure nami doesnt end up dying in this spinoff but the ending remains the same. madoka still made the contract, became an uber magical girl,but erasing herself from existence and all other magical girls before they have the chance to become witches. so in a sense , it might not be worth it. at least the others was different and had a solid enough ending.

Actually, this, along with this quote from the article:

Quote:
While her decision remains the same as in the original, her motivation is somewhat different, and Kyouko calls her out on never really having wanted to be a magical girl. When she does make her ultimate choice, we can see it as being motivated by the same sort of selflessness that Kyouko and Sayaka were trying to exhibit when they made their wishes, which may color the final results of her transformation, leading us to speculate that perhaps this is not the actual world of the original story, but one of the many that came before. That Homura has been at this for a long time when the series takes place is evident; nothing, however, really says that this is when the best-known iteration of the story happens.

...confuse me. In The Different Story, Madoka's concluding wish is spoiler[to bring Sayaka back from the dead.] Her decision is completely different from the main timeline of the anime. I think I might be mis-reading you two with my response. Would you care to elaborate?

Also, I want to make a clarification that this story takes place spoiler[in one of the previous timelines of the anime.] The story itself doesn't clarify this, but Hanokage revealed this particular detail in one of the Kirara Magica volumes I own (I can cite the specific volume and page later if you like--they're in my attic right now). She specifically wrote the story while keeping this in mind and ended the story spoiler[before revealing the fate of Madoka or that world/timeline because it wasn't important to the specific story she wanted to tell the audience.] Thinking about it, it's kind of depressing that this is the truth of such a well-written spin-off story, but at the same time, it's still a great exploration of the characters.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see what you're saying. I interpreted it as her wish was to grant Mami peace by saving Sayaka, which related to her wish to essentially fix everything. (To put it in the absolute simplest way.)

I don't recall, has Kirara Magica been licensed? I seem to think it has, but that could be my paper-grading exhaustion dreaming. In any event, that's interesting to know - thanks!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I don't recall, has Kirara Magica been licensed? I seem to think it has, but that could be my paper-grading exhaustion dreaming. In any event, that's interesting to know - thanks!

Kirara Magica is essentially a Madoka magazine that serializes multiple series. Tart Magica (the Jeanne d'Arc one) and the Oriko Magica Extra Volume (contains a couple Kirara one-shots) have been licensed by Yen, but not the rest. Most, however, seem to be humorous AUs.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Ah, I see what you're saying. I interpreted it as her wish was to grant Mami peace by saving Sayaka, which related to her wish to essentially fix everything. (To put it in the absolute simplest way.)

1) It's been a while, but I believe spoiler[Mami gives up on being a Magical Girl at the end, no longer wishing to fight anymore, and Madoka tells her she doesn't plan to change her back to a human because she already decided to bring Sayaka back, but she accepts Mami's feelings and lets her stay home while they go off to fight Walpurgisnacht. I'm not sure if she knew Mami was going to kill herself, but regardless, she gave Mami the solace she needed because of how she is, not because of her wish. Just like in the original manga adaption, there's a semi-epilogue at the end where Kyouko (who is already dead) is hanging out with Mami (who just died) at her house. Mami then answers the door to the other guests. I'm not sure if it's just some sort of dream or if it's a spoiler that Madoka and Sayaka died fighting Walpurgisnacht and came to this after-life-dream-thing to hang out with Mami and Kyouko, but... it's not important, so... =P]

2) Kirara Magica is a spin-off serialization magazine that holds nothing but Madoka spin-off manga every two months. Just as RestLessone said, Oriko and Tart are currently the only dramatic series in the magazine, and both have had their tankouban releases licensed, but the rest are basically comedy alternate universes that tend to be more slice-of-life and 4koma than anything truly interesting. It also holds interviews with the Madoka staff every issue, including the mangaka currently serialized in the magazine, as well as advertisements for Madoka-related goods. And actually, I don't think Sadness Prayer (the current on-going Oriko story) has been licensed yet. Just the original manga, which has been released, and the collection of bonus stories, which is going to be released sometime soon. I suspect it is only a matter of time, though, before it is licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1