• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimonstory Cybersleuth PS Vita Game Slated for March 12 in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
These character designs are not normal for kids games in Japan. Kids games in Japan are Yokai watch, Pokemon, and so on. The Cero rating says nothing and is not an implication of what the target audience is.

This is a game on the Vita, whose audience skews older then the main audience on the 3DS. It's a game targeted at older teen to young adult audiences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon continues to make more sexual characters each generation so I'm not sure what citing that is supposed to accoplish.

Level 5 games tend to be more shota-focused and female pandering, so Youkai Watch doesn't have as much but you have the the NyaaKB and their "sexy gravure shoots" that Jibanyan loves and some of the Youkai designs like Onemu-no-Sei and Fuumin.

But it's a fallacy to say if you can find some games that don't, that it's not present in lots of kids games. Remember, stuff like Dragon Quest , Yu-Gi-Oh, and other stuff with sexual fanservice and humor are also a kid game in Japan.

Not sure where you're getting the Vita being for older audiences though. The 3DS has just as many adult games as the Vita does, if not more just by it's large volume of games compared to the Vita.

You're still also missing the glaring fact this is no different than Re:Digitize (they are literally the same artist) and that was clearly aimed at kids. I don't know why people are against admitting Digimon is for kids. It's no big deal if you have interest in a kids game. It's really ridiculous this is even an argument.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--bbcAzxuz--/18p25zmpz17dqjpg.jpg

Yeah sure those shorts sure are super sexy. Yeah no. Pokemon's character designs haven't got anywhere near overly sexual. A few jokes and shorts don't amount to anything.

None of Level 5's 3DS games or really most of thier library of releases have been overtly sexual. About the most they get is tight shirts or short skirts. Nothing beyond the sexual stuff in your typical kids anime.

Dragon Quest's sexual humor like the Puff Puff Girls and Jessica aren't even erotic. Just the typical Japanese sexual humor you'd see in Dragon Ball. There's nothing even noteworthy about it.

The Vita's audience does skew older. Even if thier are supposed adult 3DS games that don't sell anywhere near or well as the kdis games. Where on Vita they are all that sells.

I don't think anyone here cares if Digimon is for kids or not. Just you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

All Star Rumble is an American aimed title, though, and not really comparable to the other games, so it's probably the most US kid friendly out of all of them because of that. It'll probably have no sexualized designed due to it being a western game.

It's not needed anyways - tons of Nintendo games have shown Western peoples can do without.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Rahxephon91 on this. As a fan of Pokemon and Youkai Watch, as well as idol shows for children, I can see what Fedora-san means, but I think he's seeing how older fans manipulate the aesthetic into something more sexual. Sure, even Youkai Watch has its sexual humor (there are Youkai with big boobs and a sexy demeanor), but it's still very humor-focused and cartoonish. Pokemon's designs have somewhat recently had lots of short skirts and such, but short skirts are a "cute" thing in Japan that have also recently taken young girls by storm, especially in the idol business. They usually wear spats underneath to avoid panty flashes, but the aesthetic has become increasingly revealing in general for their sake--not for the sake of the older audience. I don't know if the industry has been purposely garnering their stuff for an older audience, but it's not being done explicitly for that reason and they still have a line they don't typically cross in terms of fan-service.

What I'm seeing with this game and what I saw with Re:Digitize, I don't think they made it necessarily inappropriate for kids in Japan, but the aesthetic seems a lot more blatantly "mature" in its looks. I assume it's Persona-like, with its target audience being young adults and older teens instead of childish for kids.

And I still hold onto the idea that Digimon themselves have always had some sexual elements to them, but the protagonists have almost always been quite innocent and less sexy. Meanwhile, I can see a few of these characters being far more "sexy" or "handsome" in the game.

On that note, I wonder how mature the story of Re:Digitize is. I want to play it, but I have to wait until I'm in Japan before I decide to spend some money on a used copy. And my PSP is clicking now, which worries me.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
The Vita's audience does skew older. Even if thier are supposed adult 3DS games that don't sell anywhere near or well as the kdis games. Where on Vita they are all that sells.

Vita's best sellers in Japan are mostly hunting action games. The only ones that aren't are Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster and Persona 4 Golden. Although I'm sure someone out there would pin P4G's success solely on its dating elements ...
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I don't think anyone here cares if Digimon is for kids or not. Just you.

Considering certain people seem so hung up on admitting they might like a game for children so they insist it has to be for adults, I think they do. It's a very common recurring thing you see when it comes to anime and games from Japan when they think a kids show in Japan is actually aimed at adults because of the difference in content levels allowed.

Juno016 wrote:
Sure, even Youkai Watch has its sexual humor (there are Youkai with big boobs and a sexy demeanor), but it's still very humor-focused and cartoonish. Pokemon's designs have somewhat recently had lots of short skirts and such, but short skirts are a "cute" thing in Japan that have also recently taken young girls by storm, especially in the idol business. They usually wear spats underneath to avoid panty flashes, but the aesthetic has become increasingly revealing in general for their sake--not for the sake of the older audience. I don't know if the industry has been purposely garnering their stuff for an older audience, but it's not being done explicitly for that reason and they still have a line they don't typically cross in terms of fan-service.

But that's basically what I'm saying though. These designs are neither new nor problematic for Digimon, let alone other kids properties in Japan. It's no big deal there, yet you got people here saying how sexualized they are. Even though the girls in properties like Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and One Piece get their clothing altered for western releases to make it more kid friendly in Japan those outfits are not a big deal and considered normal. I'm merely saying this game is no different than anything else.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
These designs are neither new nor problematic for Digimon, let alone other kids properties in Japan. It's no big deal there, yet you got people here saying how sexualized they are. Even though the girls in properties like Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and One Piece get their clothing altered for western releases to make it more kid friendly in Japan those outfits are not a big deal and considered normal. I'm merely saying this game is no different than anything else.

I know what you're trying to say and I can see why you say it, and I think we agree at the point where "it's not considered completely inappropriate for children in Japan because it's still a kid's series that can't exclude its original audience". However, I'm specifically saying that the designs in this game are exceptional for even Digimon, and I can see it if they actually intended to target an older audience than usual, all the while keeping the content kid-friendly. Borderline so, really. Even in Japan, having an outfit open in the middle like this to showcase the full extent of boob cleavage is pretty revealing. It's not so much the fact that it's showing any more skin than usual, but that it's a far more realistic art style than typical for a kid's series and the specific skin exposure is focused on that area. And the guys are just... cool. Having been in Japan, it's the kind of stuff I see older middle school-early high school students fawning over in anime and manga and such--not elementary school students, where "oppai" is a funny word and doesn't excite most kid's libidos. Thus, while the content of the game may be kid-friendly, the art style might be key to understanding what kind of audience they're intentionally drawing in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2