• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertising Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Actually, no, I was gifted a subscription, and decided I had fun in the Community forum and had extra cash at the time I subscribed. And I'm smart enough not to open news articles that are going to have NSFW content. Coming to the site and having NSFW content emblazoned all over it makes me wonder why I'd even come here over Crunchyroll, who seems to get the news out faster.

Ah, I see about the subscription. Reminds me of how I'm always rewarded those CR guest passes to give away as a CR member, but I've never gifted them to anyone. Anyways I think all ads are nominally SFW, insofar as nothing being shown that wouldn't be shown on store shelves, as the images are the same on the BD/DVD covers, the kind of retail marketing images safe for broadcast. ANN's own ad policies clearly dictate that. Otherwise I think you cross into arbitrarily varying decisions.

Aside from just using ABP, perhaps providing option to switch to a text description for the ad skin or simplified version and allows you to click to view the full graphical version is better than banning any skin that someone might find offensive. About the articles though, how do you know which ones to avoid if they're new titles? I haven't seen these skins on Crunchyroll but I know they display small risque images in the front newsfeed for article pics, and large pics for their Store daily deals in the front page are also sometimes risque products (usually the figures). Finally I'm curious about how you or others you know view them in public: shared PCs or personal devices?
lys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
I use the text-only ANN layout so I don't see any preview images for articles: the skin and cover image are really the only graphics I see on the main site. I don't recall many occasions of clicking through to a new article and being shocked by NSFW imagery—possibly because I don't care about most new titles, so I have no problem only reading articles about titles and subjects I'm already interested in without worrying about surprises. (I should add that I work from home, so it's not really about whether what I'm seeing is safe for work, but more safe for what I want to see.)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
I'm curious, is there any option to enable select ads from the subscription service? I know it would be an extremely niche user base but I actually like the anime ads featured on ANN but would pay to support ANN and disable the more annoying ads.

It works the opposite way around. Subscribers can disable select advertisers... So over time that leads to only the advertisers you want to see, and new advertisers showing up.

-t
Onemanleft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd just want the ads to just all be at the top. Then they won't be as distracting when scrolling down.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
BTW the current Pony Canyon ad with Yuki Yuna skin is cute and a nice surprise. Finally, an ad that transforms on mouseover but remains unintrusive! Razz
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
BTW the current Pony Canyon ad with Yuki Yuna skin is cute and a nice surprise. Finally, an ad that transforms on mouseover but remains unintrusive! Razz

Thanks. PONYCAN asked us to create the skin for them, so I worked with one of our graphic designers (Istvan (Armageddon on the ANN forum), the guy who designed the ANN 5.0 layout) to create a cool skin, and also show other people and advertisers what could be done with the skins...

-t
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm having a fun time using the Yūna Yūki adskin's feature of toggling between Yūna and Karin's normal selves and Mankai forms through mouse-over.

The only one thing that I don't like concerning this adskin is the blinding white background, but since Pony Canyon probably mandated Armageddon to make use of that color, it can't be helped...
lys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I also wanted to drop by and say I enjoy the current transforming ad-skin and don't find it distracting or disruptive :) Thanks for the fun, designers!!
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
I also wanted to drop by and say I enjoy the current transforming ad-skin and don't find it distracting or disruptive Smile Thanks for the fun, designers!!

Me too, I would like to praise ANN for including the ad from Pony Canyon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
configspace wrote:

Thanks. PONYCAN asked us to create the skin for them, so I worked with one of our graphic designers (Istvan (Armageddon on the ANN forum), the guy who designed the ANN 5.0 layout) to create a cool skin, and also show other people and advertisers what could be done with the skins...

-t

Personally I prefer a skin like this that is interactive as opposed to those that bounce, shake, have noise when you go over them etc. If the ads are going to have more...interactive content, as opposed to simply being a straight up ad, I prefer something like that. I can understand people having issues with the ads and I do think the amount is getting close to being too much. Not quite there yet but close. Unlike many who complain I do understand the need for them. Those ads and sponsors bring in cash for ANN which keeps it running. So I get why they are needed.

I have adblock but I leave it off (at home) for ANN. I am a subscriber so I can simply enable the ones I don't mind and turn off the ones I don't like. I will say that the skin situation for non-subscribers could probably better. I also think some of them push the boundaries of SFW content. I don't mind them but I know many do. Smaller ads for such shows are less of a problem but when it's the skin that is more of a problem for those with more.....discerning tastes than myself lol. I don't think any are outright NSFW, that I can think of, but some push it and are in the PG-13 range. I'd say try and keep it to PG rating. Which I again understand is hard as the admins idea of PG could be more/less than users here.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
In my account settings, I have:

Code:

[x] Turn off Infolinks (in-text ad links)
[ ] Turn off PG-13 ad skins

But I have not seen anything well.. eye-catching since the beginning of the year at all, so I just want to confirm de-selecting the last option is still working.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
^ Thank you for posting that. I did not know that option was there. I have been forced to use AdBlock even though I generally like the banner ads and skins, since at some point the text links started showing up in gigantic font for me for some reason (probably has something to do with having my screen zoomed so I can read, but why it's only the text links I don't know), and I'm always accidentally mousing over them anyway, so it was just unbearable. Anyway, now I can unblock the site again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4