• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comics for Manga fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Yeah, I found the Discovery trade paperback in my box of misc. Vertigo titles. Also found something called The Searcher and the Sword, though without matching comics.

The Searcher and the Sword is only a TPB, they never did individual issues. IIRC, it takes place before The Discovery, but after the bulk of everything else.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
Talking about Elves, Dark elves are fun,

I like the comic adaption of Forgotten Realm Drizzt Do'Urden novels. There are quite a few large Omnibus collections of each saga of the books.

There is a massive web comic series called Drowtales all about dark elves
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
I've read the GN of the original trilogy of Drizzt. Salvatore's writing is amazing, I need to find time to read the actual books (he's also hilarious in person).
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
Been getting into Fables, definitely gotta second that. And The Wolf Among Us is a good VN style game that's a prequel to the main series and is canon (I'd suggest maybe reading the first 3 or 4 vols to get a feel for the characters that you'll see in TWAU though).

Also read v1 of Morning Glories from Image, they seem to publish a lot of things that might appeal to manga fans. It follows the "high school with weird stuff" genre.

Letter 44 is another one I've found I like. The 43rd president leaves a note to the newly elected 44th president, telling him that aliens are building some...thing (possibly a weapon) past the asteroid belt. They've deployed a team of scientists that are due to arrive there after almost 4 years in just a few months to finally investigate. So it's part the 44th president figuring out what to do with this information (among other related information), and part the science team figuring out wtf is going on. Both halves are good and very much interlinked.

Aama is a French comic, I think it'll be done with its 4th volume, which follows a guy who rather gets roped into this thing by his brother. But they're on a planet investigating this weird super evolution thing that seems to kill things. Reminds me a bit of the planet in Jyu Oh Sei really.

But yeah, tell me more things to buy, dammit!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

You picked an odd time to get into Fables. Just a week or so ago they issued the volume 21 graphic novel of the series which doubles as the #150 (and final) issue of the comic series. The Wolf Among Us is the only spinoff still running. I've bought the series since the beginning but I'm sadly behind in reading it. Do you need any information about spinoffs and one shot graphic novels or are you good? The creator of the series Bill Willingham also had some other short series. I'll have to look them up and tell you later.

Image Comics is "creator owned". Basically they provide administrative and marketing services for individual authors who want to publish their own ideas. That is why you see some really different comics coming from them. I'm sure they are fairly selective in choosing what to support which may act as a filter. The down side of this is that if a title sells poorly the author may drop it very quickly. I have a number of Image comics that stopped in the middle of the first or second arc.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I picked an odd time in general to get into American comics if you ask me. Only been doing it since late spring perhaps? By that time, Fables was pretty much already done (even if it would be a few months before it officially ended), but I had no idea until I looked up more information after reading a few volumes to learn that it just ended. But I've been into manga for like, 14 years now and rarely read any American comics. Though I do think Fables started right around when I was getting into manga. Sure, I read things related to shows I liked (like Firefly or Adventure Time), but no comics that were comics first basically. But it does make it a lot easier to binge read a series too, so there are certain advantages I suppose. So yeah, when I started Fables, I knew it was long, but I had no idea it was about to end either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2