• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Filtering the Mainfeed [ANN reviews]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seihai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
When I skim through the news feed on the home page, reviews are not what I'm looking for. To be blunt, they are an eyesore to me and even BD/DVD rankings are more interesting to me. Is there no way to disable reviews or hide them? It's just a text cluster to me that I can do without personally.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
seihai wrote:
When I skim through the news feed on the home page, reviews are not what I'm looking for. To be blunt, they are an eyesore to me and even BD/DVD rankings are more interesting to me. Is there no way to disable reviews or hide them? It's just a text cluster to me that I can do without personally.

Right now there isn't a way to remove a specific type of item from the mainfeed (you can filter to only news, or only interest, but there's no way to have news and interest, but not reviews). It is a great idea though, and I'll suggest it to Dan.

-t
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Actually you can display just news and interest, by toggling on the news and interest filters. But in that case it won't display other article types that occasionally show up, like surveys and what not. I've considered adding a "other" filter to toggle on everything except news/interest/reviews, but I'm not sure it's really worth it. There's a limit to how complicated I'm willing to make the interface.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
There's a limit to how complicated I'm willing to make the interface.

Is there any practical way of offering a "simple interface" option and an "advanced interface" option?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Dan,

What about a double click to remove that item from the mainfeed ?
Prologue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
How about a way for the site to remember whether or not users want to see Reviews or not? The first thing I do when I go to ANN is try to not see anything while clicking News and Interest, but if a Review is in the first row, I will still see the image which can reveal a lot.

Like just now, I was spoiled about this character being alive (it's a show in which characters tend to die) and probably at a critical plot point (the setting).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1