• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven AO DVD ONLY

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I would like to purchase Eureka Seven AO on DVD ONLY. In other words with NO Blu-Ray discs attached. This is because I am against the unessecary new format known as Blu-Ray, and refuse to support it. Is there any way to legeally buy Eureka Seven AO on DVD ONLY?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The series is only available via DVD/ Blu-Ray combo releases. Only time a recent physical release would be DVD-only from Funi would be if they can't immediately gain Blu-Ray rights to it due to whatever Japanese company they get it from fearing reverse-importing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
The series is only available via DVD/ Blu-Ray combo releases. Only time a recent physical release would be DVD-only from Funi would be if they can't immediately gain Blu-Ray rights to it due to whatever Japanese company they get it from fearing reverse-importing.
Then I can NOT support this release. IThat is a sham as a perfer to support official releases when I can
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Then I can NOT support this release. IThat is a sham as a perfer to support official releases when I can

Might as well get used to it with Blu-Ray becoming more wider in use and some anime releases being Blu-Ray only now. I went through the same rejection of the format a while back before I learned to adjust to the changing tides. If you hate the format that badly and still want to support Funi, then watch the series off their streaming site and get a subscription for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Your only option is going to be to find someone who only wants the BD, buy the set, and split it with them.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
I would like to purchase Eureka Seven AO on DVD ONLY. Is there any way to legeally buy Eureka Seven AO on DVD ONLY?

Yes there is. I don't know what your budget allows for what you view your anime with... but I do know that there is a Region 2 DVD release only of Eureka Seven AO available from Amazon UK.

here are the links for it:

Eureka Seven Ao: Part 1 (Region 2 DVD)

£20.24 or about $31.00 bucks

Eureka Seven - Astral Ocean: Part 2 (DVD)

£23.78/$36.46

Last edited by lem on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
animalia555 wrote:

Might as well get used to it with Blu-Ray becoming more wider in use and some anime releases being Blu-Ray only now. I went through the same rejection of the format a while back before I learned to adjust to the changing tides. If you hate the format that badly and still want to support Funi, then watch the series off their streaming site and get a subscription for it.
But I don't see the point if I buy Blu-Rays then I am supporting BLu--Ray players. Why should I get a whole new player when everything works fine on what I've got? If DVD does eventually COMPLETTLY stop then fine, but until then I refue to support Bad behavior from companies.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Why should I get a whole new player when everything works fine on what I've got?

Because it looks really, really, really nice, the sound is fantastic, and the discs are incredibly durable, scratch resistant, and will last much longer than DVDs will.

If you really want the show *that* much, then just man-up, buy the combo pack, and either give the BDs to a friend, sell them for profit, or throw them away. The loss of one sale is NOT going to impact any company's decision to stop supporting the bluray format.

Face it: bluray is the hot new thing right now. Might as well get used to it. Neutral
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
Why should I get a whole new player when everything works fine on what I've got?

Because it looks really, really, really nice, the sound is fantastic, and the discs are incredibly durable, scratch resistant, and will last much longer than DVDs will.

If you really want the show *that* much, then just man-up, buy the combo pack, and either give the BDs to a friend, sell them for profit, or throw them away. The loss of one sale is NOT going to impact any company's decision to stop supporting the bluray format.

Face it: bluray is the hot new thing right now. Might as well get used to it. Neutral
Sorry but I am not a graphhics whore. I reall,ly had no problem with VHS quality to be honest (outside of the pause screen that is). I got a DVD player mainly because it came out when anime came out and one disc with multiple language tracks was seen by me at the time to be a good way to save on money (since I would not have to buy two tapes, one dub one sub (I was not the sub fanatic I am now back then)). And you claim Blu-ray's the hot new thing, but outside of combo packs like these I have been able to get DVD for practically everything I can get on BLu-Ray. That would suggest that DVD is neither dead or dying and until I am covinced otherwise I will not reward companies for bad behavior. Also you said one person making these descions won't make a difference. While that is true if multiple people feel the same way and act on it it WILL make a difference. I am just doing my part.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
If DVD does eventually COMPLETTLY stop then fine, but until then I refue to support Bad behavior from companies.

The only constant is change you know? blu-ray, just like the "dvd" will also be museum worthy one day. That's how it goes. LD, Betamax,VHS and good 'ol 8 tracks will tell you as much. Time marches on.

Personally I don't care what format my anime comes in. As long as it is:
1. Legal, and I am supporting the artists that brought it to life.
2. I can own a physical copy of it.
3. Doesn't expire or I get denied access to it.

On that #3, what I don't like or more like simply don't understand about "blu" is this having to "update" my player for "newer" discs.

So if anyone unwittingly bought themselves a blu-ray player that is a pain in the ass to update or it can't be updated, then they may find themselves having to "update" what they just bought. That's not my idea of being fair to the buyer. So if that's what you mean by "bad behavior" then I think you have a point there about not wanting to support that.
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
If DVD does eventually COMPLETTLY stop then fine, but until then I refue to support Bad behavior from companies.

The only constant is change you know? blu-ray, just like the "dvd" will also be museum worthy one day. That's how it goes. LD, Betamax,VHS and good 'ol 8 tracks will tell you as much. Time marches on.

Personally I don't care what format my anime comes in. As long as it is:
1. Legal, and I am supporting the artists that brought it to life.
2. I can own a physical copy of it.
3. Doesn't expire or I get denied access to it.

On that #3, what I don't like or more like simply don't understand about "blu" is this having to "update" my player for "newer" discs.

So if anyone unwittingly bought themselves a blu-ray player that is a pain in the ass to update or it can't be updated, then they may find themselves having to "update" what they just bought. That's not my idea of being fair to the buyer. So if that's what you mean by "bad behavior" then I think you have a point there about not wanting to support that.
I mean I would have to replace my DVDs with blu-rays so i could watch them on the same player.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
No you don't. BD players play DVDs. Heck, I just use my PS3.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
^You can play dvds, cds and blu-rays on a Blu-ray player.
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
^You can play dvds, cds and blu-rays on a Blu-ray player.
That's not what I herd at Best Buy, they said you need a special combo player.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Were you asking the guys working in the washing machine section?

Either they were screwing with you, thought you were talking about VHS tapes, the archaic HDDVD format, different region players, or they worked at the worst Best Buy in the world. CD's and DVD's will play on Blu-ray players and the DVD's you play on them tend to look better than on a standard DVD player.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2