• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buying anime on iTunes: subs or dubs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
So when you purchase anime on iTunes, does it come with both the original Japanese audio track and the English dub? Or just one? Or does it vary by series? I've been looking over the

I really need to know before I make a decision purchase - I'm considering Penguindrum, and the only reviews mention the dub, while I much prefer the Japanese version. It wouldn't be the end of the world, I know, to download just one episode to find out, but if anyone has an answer, it would save me the $3.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
It's usually dubbed unless it states otherwise in the description.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

Crap. There goes my plan of how to buy this in HD when I haven't got a Blu-Ray drive. Sad
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

Crap. There goes my plan of how to buy this in HD when I haven't got a Blu-Ray drive. Sad

I'd recommend just saving up for a Blu-Ray drive, they shouldn't be too expensive.
I'm sure you could pony up $44.00 for a Blu-Ray drive.
Blu-Ray Drive on Amazon.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

I'd recommend just saving up for a Blu-Ray drive, they shouldn't be too expensive.
I'm sure you could pony up $44.00 for a Blu-Ray drive.
Blu-Ray Drive on Amazon.

It'll probably go on my birthday list. Really wish iTunes had a better selection, though. Is dual-audio encoding just impossible with their video formats?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
It'll probably go on my birthday list. Really wish iTunes had a better selection, though. Is dual-audio encoding just impossible with their video formats?

You could try Amazon they have it HD Sub only if you are interested. I haven't actually bought from Amazon before, only rented so I don't know how their service works when you buy.

I want to say that at one point iTunes used to have 2 versions of some anime (both sub and dub), but you had to search for it. I don't think they do that anymore, but I haven't searched recently. Amazon will carry separate sub and dub versions for some movies. For example, I specifically remember watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in both dub and sub (the dub was awful). I don't know why separate versions or only one version is offered on Amazon or iTunes. I've heard different speculation, some say its technical, some say it has to do with licensing, some say that certain services (iTunes) prefer and push for dubs. All I can say is that I like good dubs for my anime and if I find them to be mediocre or worse then I want my sub version. But I'm not going to pay for 2 separate versions of the same anime at full prices, give me my physical media then. Also sometimes the prices on downloads have been pricier than buying a hard copy (this includes Hollywood live action), so I wont be giving up my physical media any time soon.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Digital Anime in america is stupid and companies are ignorant not offering what the consumers want at a price that is realistic in what the product delivers.

buy your own anime and put it on your mobile devices yourself with an encoding program or just subscribe to a streaming service.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Digital Anime in america is stupid and companies are ignorant not offering what the consumers want at a price that is realistic in what the product delivers.

buy your own anime and put it on your mobile devices yourself with an encoding program or just subscribe to a streaming service.

Well, I don't have a mobile device, I have a laptop and an old-fashioned flip phone, because I don't have much money. I was hoping with digital I wouldn't have to buy a Blu-Ray drive (not player), because I also don't have a TV (certainly can't afford an HD one). I have basically stripped my finances down to near bare necessities, and anime is falling by the wayside for that, even with series that I genuinely love like Penguindrum. Fortunately it is available subbed on hulu, though for how long I don't know.

Also, I just prefer subs, period. I got into anime out of an interest in Japan, and my Japanese comprehension is pretty damn good at this point, so I don't want a version where they've stripped out all the original dialogue and acting and replaced it with something else. I think the Spanish dubs of American movies I had to watch in high school also didn't help either in turning me off to dubs. I get that some people prefer them for various reasons, but I personally can't stand them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1