• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Scarlett Johansson Signs on to Hollywood's Ghost in the Shell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
Produced by the maker of The Ring Two, director of Snow White and the Huntsman, trying to adapt Ghost in the Shell... Just... No. It was an anime and not a live action film for a reason, and... I think everyone knows what I'm going to say, forget it.

New movie to add onto the list of "bad movie night films," along with Mutant Girl Squad, Megashark vs Giant Octopus, DBZ Evolution, and Transmorphers (not transformers, transmorphers).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

enurtsol: Man, if you're gonna pirate a movie, do it for one which won't be hurt by it. Edge of Tomorrow could've been more successful if those jerks paid for it.

Doesn't piracy help sales?

TarsTarkas wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

this....isn't going to end well. The only way I can see this working is if it's set in the same world as GitS, but outside of Japan because NOBODY is going to buy Johansson as being the least bit Japanese.

I doubt it will be located in Japan, but that doesn't mean that it won't work. Fictional extra-governmental organizations are quite common in the west.

Also, most Western governments are actually Parliamentary (like Japan's) with bureaucratic Ministries, as opposed to the US' Presidential system.

EnigmaticSky wrote:

It was an anime and not a live action film for a reason,

Because Japan live-action industry can't afford it?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
If we're going to complain about Japanese titles being adapted for an American audience, then we should also be complaining about when the opposite is done.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
I'd probably have a more negative opinion of this casting decision if I actually thought that the movie was going to get made. There are enough anime/Hollywood movies that haven't made any real headway that I'm skeptical that any of them will actually be made.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
I love the hypocrisy on these sites. Everybody is okay with a Yellow-Washed "Attack on Titan" movie despite Mikasa being the only Asian, but it won't fly when America does the opposite.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I've read many comments of different sites by people who are upset with the ongoing "whitewashing" of these live-action anime adaptations.

Kadmos1 wrote:
If we're going to complain about Japanese titles being adapted for an American audience, then we should also be complaining about when the opposite is done.

That's the problem with some people. They don't like it when US remake/adapt Asian cinema or sources. But yet these same people never complain about when Japan or Asia remake US/western films. I mean nobody complain about Japan's remake of Unforgiven.

Oh and before anyone say to me nobody know about these foreign remake, how do people know about US remake of Asian films but not know about Japan & Asian remake of Hollywood films. The hater that complain about US remake of Asian film or adaptation of anime/manga are fans of foreign cinema, so they should've heard or known about Hollywood films getting Japanese/Asian remakes, it's impossible for foreign film fan to have not heard about Hollywood films getting Asian remake. I mean the Japanese remake of Unforgiven has gotten mainstream attention from sites like IGN, Screenrant, Beyond Hollywood, Deadline, and Variety (they also reviewed the film). So there's no way the remake haters/bashers would've just not know about the remake of Unforgiven judging from the attention it got in the US. I wonder what would happen if let say Japan remake this:

Would there be any complaint against Japan remaking it? Or would we see the remake basher saying something like this:

You know what f**k Al Pacino, f**k Marlon Brando, and f**k Coppola!!! The Japanese remake will blow the f**king s**t out of the sh**y American original. You know what f**k the original, the one Coppola made is a piece of s**t!!! I bet the Japanese remake will be so much better!!! I don't understand why the one Hollywood made won oscars, the Japanese remake will blow the Hollywood away. I hope Sonny Chiba will do a better job portraying Vito Corleone then that dumb f**k Marlon Brando!!!

Wouldn't surprise me if someone said that. Rolling Eyes

But yeah the hypocrisy is just amazing when it comes to remake.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ghostless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Trying more or less to recover from the spiritual chock Anime cry Anime cry

Major Kusanagi is a character like others stated,which is far too deep to be portrayed by Johansson. As long as the director isn't Paul WS Anderson and,joke aside,show some GOODWILL & EFFORTS in his "adaptation"(not "westernisation"). Keanu Reeve as togusa should be cool & a younger schwartznegger in the role of Bato would've done it.

Quite honestly I'm very pessimistic & the ultra integrist GITS fan in me hopes this gets cancelled.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I love the hypocrisy on these sites. Everybody is okay with a Yellow-Washed "Attack on Titan" movie despite Mikasa being the only Asian, but it won't fly when America does the opposite.

I think at least some of that is the idea of Japanese companies and individuals handling a Japanese property. You'd probably see the same type of skepticism if the next Avengers movie was made by a Tokyo movie studio.
idkAlan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
2 things need to changed so that this movie will be successful

1) Bring Guillermo Del Toro as the director, as he'll actually give a crap about respecting the source material.
2) Bring Ron Perlman in, as the man can portray the hell out of Batou

I like Scarlett Johansson ever since I saw her in The Perfect Score and I have some faith in pulling this off but what I don't have faith in is the director as he's had a horrible track record

Plus think about how good she'll look in this.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Japan rarely remakes American movies. If you pay attention to mdo you'll notice he reuses the same links all he time because that's essentially all there is. Unlike America, Japan has no problem showing American movies in theaters so there's no grand conspiracy about hiding the original versions of movies and trying to pass them off as American franchises. In America, there's a lot of racism and bias against minority actors so they can't show foreign movies outside very limited screenings.

idkAlan wrote:

I have my doubts they'll keep that outfit. It might be labeled as sexist. Expect it to be changed.

-Stuart Smith
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Japan rarely remakes American movies. If you pay attention to mdo you'll notice he reuses the same links all he time because that's essentially all there is. Unlike America, Japan has no problem showing American movies in theaters so there's no grand conspiracy about hiding the original versions of movies and trying to pass them off as American franchises. In America, there's a lot of racism and bias against minority actors so they can't show foreign movies outside very limited screenings.

That is such a nonsense statement to make Rolling Eyes.Unless it's an action film;foreign films just don't appeal to your average moviegoer,which is the main reason why they don't get huge releases here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not sure it's as much about malicious racism when it comes to viewership as it's just a preference to not watch foreign films that will have to be subbed or God forbid dubbed. That's why Snowpiercer employing an international cast mostly speaking English, and with a convenient tool for translation, can achieve a modest success here. The other point about who gets hired, the option to overlook Asian minorities is a real issue when we actually do have Asian American actors looking for work.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Roaring Current would like to have a word with you. Korean dramas would also like to talk to you. Still think US is racist against Asian. Hollywood films has not been doing well in Japan BTW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
mdo:
Quote:
But yet these same people never complain about when Japan or Asia remake US/western films.

Maybe because the Japanese don't have a history of shutting out white actors, unlike the reverse case in Hollywood? Also, the Japanese don't take credit for the source material, when they remake the films. Plus, have you seen the Keanu 47 Ronin, dude? Nothing like it whatsoever. With a few exceptions, there is no damned respect for what made the concept work in the Hollywood remake.

id: Sci-fi is not GDT's specialty, I think. Giant robots smashing each other do not count as sci-fi.

Themaster:
Quote:
Unless it's an action film;foreign films just don't appeal to your average moviegoer,

And yet Bong Joon Ho's Snowpiercer is one of the most successful indie releases here.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
idkAlan wrote:

Johannsson? Look like that? Never, even if they did used that costume, which I doubt if they are going to target the 12+ demography
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7