• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Makeinu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
[Moderator Note: The individual response threads for each of the series are all supposed to dump into this one, so please label any response with the series you're talking about. - Key]

As ever, thank you for sacrificing the ever smaller remnants of your sanity so that we don't have to, Zac.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
And it begins....

I'm more excited about the sequels though. Right now, Kamisama Kiss S2 is my favorite that aired so far at the moment. Can't wait to see some of the others like Tokyo Ghoul, KnB 3, Durarara X2, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
silver-haired beauty Julie Sigtuna (yep, that's her name!) a Scandinavian (?!) so pretty the entire classroom gasps in disbelief when she enters the room.

Strike one...

Quote:
Thor starts panicking and loudly protesting this pairing, because not only is Julie A GIRL but he's going to have to live with A GIRL and she might be naked

Strike two...

I really don't think I have to get to strike three on the TIRED HAREM SHOW TROPES list for this show to be out.

Also, I'm not really looking forward to Kamisama Kiss. I couldn't get past the first few episodes of season 1. Tomoe was just too much of a bastard with heart of gold and I have a very hard time enjoying shows with main characters like that. There is a certain balance that must be achieved with such characters. Inuyasha hit that balance more or less. Anything more of a bastard than him, I just can't be down with.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
That Lukifer thing -

Is it basically the Japanese pronunciation of Lucifer? I feel like it's been said that way in other series. Similarly, Eyeshield 21's Cerberus was pronounced Kerberus, and Cyprus (the country) is Kipurosu.

In any case, Absolute Duo definitely isn't for me.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...a Scandinavian (?!)...

Kalmar Union forever!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you on this one, CK: I won't be giving this one the time of day. I don't mind fan service, but the plot seems unendurably bland and cliché.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Well Earth High School Defense Force Cuties LOVE! looks like the first winner of the season.

Unfortunately it's also the show most likely to spark a thirty page flamewar involving weapons-grade homophobia and misogyny.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Well Earth High School Defense Force Cuties LOVE! looks like the first winner of the season.

Unfortunately it's also the show most likely to spark a thirty page flamewar involving weapons-grade homophobia and misogyny.

I doubt enough people will watch it for that. The extremeness of the caricatures in the demo materials might be enough even to turn off the highly curious viewer like myself.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I miss the good old days when Zac's grading rate went from Boobs to 5. Then again, maybe Absolute Duo doesn't even have enough Boobs to grant such grade.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
As usual, ANN editors are being a tad too harsh with first episodes.

And again, after watching the first episode, it wasn't nearly as bad as it's pegged to be. The animation isn't top class, but it's a huge improvement over the last anime this studio did.

The premise is kind of derivative, but we don't really know where it can go from here. So it's kind of unfair to judge it wholly as of now. Comedy was fairly decent so far as well.

The fanservice was pretty fantastic for what it was and if they are going to do it, may as well do it well and they did that.

Also, the OST was LEGIT fantastic. Kind of blown away by it compared to the ho-hum OST of Yurikuma so far. OP and ED is very good too.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
That Lukifer thing -

Is it basically the Japanese pronunciation of Lucifer? I feel like it's been said that way in other series.

This was also a pretty prominent issue in Tears To Tiara a few years back. I'll have to check and see if they also do that in High School DxD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drifty1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I admit, the show is a bundle of tired clichés and classis tropes, but it is amusing instead of laugh out loud funny. A good way to pass a mindless 20 minutes or so, but don't expect too much (unless you're there for the fan service - plenty of that clearly coming around).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
That Lukifer thing -

Is it basically the Japanese pronunciation of Lucifer? I feel like it's been said that way in other series. Similarly, Eyeshield 21's Cerberus was pronounced Kerberus, and Cyprus (the country) is Kipurosu.

Being foreign loanwords, there isn't a "proper/correct" way of pronouncing them in Japanese.
So Lucifer (hard c) is usually pronounced ルシフェー (rushifē), but making it sound like a soft c (lukifer [ルキフェー ; rukifē]) is also possible.
And yes, Cyprus is pronounced キプロス (kipurosu).
Trivia time is over Razz
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who laughed my butt off when the guy yelled "Love Shower" as the healing finishing move? Does not help when the guy looked so 'satisfied' afterwards. Laughing I'm looking forward to reviewing Earth Defense Club but I can assume the comedy will improve later on.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Are we sure their names are Thor and Julie, because the cast list for Absolute Duo says their names are Toru and Yurie.

Nitpicking aside, Thor is the last name I would've expected a non-Marvel anime MC to have. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 38