• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote

Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- (TV)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: battleships, military, moe, war

Plot Summary: The anime's official website also outlined the story, which is set in a world where humanity has lost control of the seas. The threat that has taken over the seas is the "deep sea fleet." The only ones who can counter this threat are Kan-musume (literally, warship girls), girls who possess the spirit of naval vessels from days gone by.

The base for the fleet arrayed against the "deep sea fleet" is Chinjufu. There, many various Kan-musume have gathered to live together and work hard everyday in training and other matters. One day, a Kan-musume arrives at Chinjufu, She is a special class of destroyer. Her name is Fubuki. "I am Fubuki! Nice to meet you!" Fubuki's story — as well as the Kan-musume's story — begins now.
----------------------------------

This show was delayed for awhile but finally is scheduled to air for Winter. Personally, I like the gimmicks of this series and the game is popular in Japan.

The PV looks okay but I'm really curious to see how the action from this series. Plus, battleships? Fun. The character designs doesn't look shabby either. I heard the show will only be a 1 cour though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Wow, that was actually better than I had expected. spoiler[From the action in the beginning to the way the monsters are crafted to the comedy. Idk why but I find Fubuki's clumsiness to be cute.]

On most parts, the artwork was solid imo and they balanced the action in the second half with the slice of lifish moment well. spoiler[Definitely worth the wait. Kaga was also awesome as well during the fighting imo.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
For the uninitiated, this is simply "magical girl academy", and the first episode is probably one of the better starters of said set ups I have seen in a good while.

Plenty of cameos of the rather large cast of characters in the first episode alone, and at the same time the viewer won't be overwhelmed as we are watching most of the action from the perspective of our green horn lead Fubuki.

spoiler[Something that is done well is in this first episode is legitimately establishing Akagi's hero status, at least from view point of Fubuki, and for this viewer feels good when said hero comes in with the cavalry to win the day when Fubuki seemed to have bitten a little more than she could chew.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
So we have had Strike Witches, Uppote, Girls un Panzer, Sky Girls and now this. Somebody wants to fuse the fetish for military hardware with their fetish for cute girls in sailor fuku.

It never makes any sense and that never makes any difference.

Kan Colle makes even less sense than the rest of them if that is possible. Every step of the way -- nearly every scene -- you can look at it and wonder what the hell.

But it seems like a bit of fun so we will keep watching it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately the anime will focus on the girls in their fuku, my favorite girls are almost all battleships who wear more interesting clothes. Too bad they'll all be bit parts here. I also disagree that it makes less sense than Upotte, I hope you're not just saying that to neg the show and give yourself a sense of smug "I am better than this" satisfaction in the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So this is the franchise that gets all that fan art made of it, I look forward to learning a bit.

From fist episode I get the idea that it is like Upotte meets Arpeggio, where the girls seem to be the ships to some extent, perhaps being personifications of real ships. There were some impressive parts, but to be honest I was kind of bored in this episode, I paused several times to look at something more interesting.

The moe aspect of it felt pretty bland as the girls so far don't feel that interesting. It did not feel like we had any real explanation of tactics so it was not great at informing what is happening and why I should think it is really cool. And there was little work done into maybe explaining what the different traits were that could separate what makes them special and what they are based on. It kind of went into the deep end did more of a show and not tell, which worked well with showing the carriers with their planes, but does not do a good job to explain how the rest is anything more than just random.

Looking good is okay, but there is more to presentation than just that. I should not have to be familiar with the franchise or ships to get some idea, and a bit more personality into what it means to go into battle and what the lack of experience may mean could help.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Just to humor you, let's conclude the fact that in WW2 the naval warfare really was all about carriers, all the dreadnoughts that some old fashioned minds thought will dominate it were completely overthrown by them.
I agree that the series might end up being a bit too dependant on knowing the game itself, but they are clearly staying away from only "fanpandering", if anything the fact that Fubuki is the lead heroine shows that.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Is this type of anime considered a genre on its own? If not I propose calling it "Weapon Girl Anime." It is closely related to Magical Girl but it does seem distinct from it. Mostly because of the veneer of the military.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
@Haruhi, Mecha Musume (pretty much what you got out of your proposed title) is the common term for girls that are depicted with military hardware, be said hardware anthropomorphic or depicting futuristic mecha wear ala Infinite Stratos.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
@Haruhi, Mecha Musume (pretty much what you got out of your proposed title) is the common term for girls that are depicted with military hardware, be said hardware anthropomorphic or depicting futuristic mecha wear ala Infinite Stratos.

I hadn't seen that before, thank you for updating my infobase.

But would you draw a distinction between girls depicted WITH military hardware versus girls AS military hardware? That's sort of what I was aiming for.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

But would you draw a distinction between girls depicted WITH military hardware versus girls AS military hardware? That's sort of what I was aiming for.

in regards to terms, there is no differentiation.

It is like trying to cut between when a character is simply cosplaying as Madoka Kaname vs a transformed Madoka in series, both could be labeled as magical girl for there aesthetic.
dlm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I had to laugh when Fubuki was over-enunciated DEATH at the very beginning, wonder if that was her VA throwing in a little joke after voicing Dekomori (Chuu2) for so long.

I frickin' swear that the Fleet of Fog's nest looked just like a Neuroi hive. Or something.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really follow this show, though it's a action/moe/comedy/game genre anime promoting a computer card game. Its well animated, but it concept is not exactly well done. I guess i like slightly more serious shows/concepts then other people, it properly best for people who play the game.

Interestedly, the commander (only "male") in this show appears to be never clearly seen since the character represents the player using the game. I can only imagine whats going happen if one these girls get's "sunk". If it ever happens.

Stepping back from the wacky game concept, I hope there a good story behind this. However, the evil woman wielding nautical ship gear are attacking the world's oceans for some reason.

Similar in nature, Arpeggio of Blue Steel which came out last year, was better done and bit more realistic in comparison to this show.

However, this was only a card game/later manga before this anime was produced. Two franchises briefly had cross over in the Kantai Collection game.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I know nothing about the game but the premise of the series looked interesting so I thought I'd give it a go.

I rather enjoyed it! The characters were cute, the action was pretty good and the Abyssal's look interesting. Having some knowledge of warships came in help too. I'm going to take a big guess and say that the "Commander" is meant to be "you".

But if anyone could help, I couldn't wrap my head around the naval combat itself. I mean, are all the girls giants with full size cannons? Or are they all 4/5ft with miniature ones? If they're giants then are they that size all the time or just when they equip the ships? And if not then how/when do they become giants?

It's not going to ruin the show for me but it would help me understand or even ease my mind whilst watching it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
@Shikiari, to mention this again, this is pretty much a magical girl set up, they don't become "giants" as they simply conjure up attacks that summon artillery fire that would come from cannons MUCH larger than what they are wearing as part of there transformed versions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13