• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime and Video Game soundtracks for academia.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, some of you know me by my handle on the forums. I wanted to create this post and throw it out there and see what kind of "fish" come up. Anyone is welcome to give their input.

As some may know (or those who don't) I work for an academic art college (library) in NYC. I handle three main areas of collection development here, anime, manga and video games. I have also been given the task of handling both domestic and international animation acquisitions as well as keeping track of various "art of [guides]" animation books. As of 2013 - I started handling the acquiring of "art of [guides]" for video games. Now I'm expanding on our anime books collection (ie., we would buy all the Miyazaki books) by looking into other notable directors and designers like Mamoru Hosoda, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto or Hiroyuki Okiura.

Another project I'm involved in with another colleague whose in charge of the music collection is putting together a list of JPop and KPop titles. While he's not familiar with their music as a whole he wants to start getting some of those types into the collect as a test.

Which now leads me to my next project. I'm looking for any information on any academic university that collects either anime or video game soundtracks for academic use.

I've been searching around the web and I haven't found anything so I figured someone else may know of some colleges in their area or have searched this area themselves. The only thing that I have came up with are universities purchase (own) more than one version of a video game (including imports) for their collections. Since I'm dealing with that area already, I want to introduce another medium that connects with the other areas that I'm doing collection development for. I think it could be of some importance in the long run.

Again all input is welcome on this post. Sorry that it's so long.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Another project I'm involved in with another colleague whose in charge of the music collection is putting together a list of JPop and KPop titles. While he's not familiar with their music as a whole he wants to start getting some of those types into the collect as a test.

Which now leads me to my next project. I'm looking for any information on any academic university that collects either anime or video game soundtracks for academic use.

I've been searching around the web and I haven't found anything so I figured someone else may know of some colleges in their area or have searched this area themselves. Again all input is welcome on this post. Sorry that it's so long.

Have you tried contacting this person?

http://www.sccollege.edu/Departments/PerformingArts/Pages/Fac_Bio_MarrJ.aspx

He has given some talks at anime conventions on the music of Yuki Kajiura.

Another place that might be worth contacting although not strictly academic is ABC Classic FM's "Screensounds" programme:

http://www.abc.net.au/classic/program/screensounds/

They do claim to cover anime and videogames, but there hasn't been very much in the way of anime soundtracks featured.

Hope this helps!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

I've been searching around the web and I haven't found anything so I figured someone else may know of some colleges in their area or have searched this area themselves. Again all input is welcome on this post. Sorry that it's so long.

Have you tried contacting this person?

http://www.sccollege.edu/Departments/PerformingArts/Pages/Fac_Bio_MarrJ.aspx

He has given some talks at anime conventions on the music of Yuki Kajiura.

Another place that might be worth contacting although not strictly academic is ABC Classic FM's "Screensounds" programme:

http://www.abc.net.au/classic/program/screensounds/

They do claim to cover anime and videogames, but there hasn't been very much in the way of anime soundtracks featured.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your response. I wasn't aware of those links I'll check them out over the weekend. Of the links I did find didn't seem like they were connected to anything. Which is why I wanted to post it here. Feel free to spread this post around. I need all the input I can get. I'm going to post on the game forums at GT and video game soundtracks and see if I can get some fish like I did for video games a few years back. Thanks again. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1