• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Testament of Sister New Devil (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote

The Testament of Sister New Devil
The Testament of Sister New Devil BURST

Genres: action, romance
Themes: harem

Plot Summary:"Hey, you said you wanted a little sister, right?" First year highschool student, Toujo Basara, was suddenly asked by his father and fell into a state of panic. On top of that, the eccentric father told him he will be getting remarried.

He then departed overseas after bringing Basara two beautiful step-sisters. But Mio and Maria's true forms are actually the newbie Demon Lord and a succubus!? Basara was almost entered into a master and servant contract with Mio, but a "reversed" contract was formed by mistake, and Basara is now the master!? Moreover, Basara is being hit by one ecchi situation after another due to the contract, but Mio's life is being pursued by other demon tribes and hero tribes! The most powerful contractor's desire action drama begins!
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

I hope they remove the censors soon. After watching the first episode, spoiler[I thought some bits of it reminded me of High School DxD. And honestly, that's gotta be one of the most awkwardest moments you'll find in the bathroom, Basara.]

It didn't waste much time with the action either. spoiler[Maria]'s appearance reminds me a little of Julie from Absolute Duo this season as well.

Last edited by Stark700 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Okay, well I've been looking forward to this show since it was announced last year and now it's finally here!

It's literally spoiler[Highschool DxD. We've got Basara as Issei with his Sacred Gear, Mio as Rias and Yuki as Xenovia. Even Maria is Loli version of Akeno, haha. ] Maybe it doesn't help that I was watching Highschool DxD New last night...

Anyway, now that that's said onto the first episode.

Episode 1

The episode's pacing was quite fast. We learnt abit about each character, the underlying plot and then time for some action at the end. The fan-service was nice, I'm guessing that the spoiler[cruelly placed white line] will be removed on the DvD's, not that it bothers me too much. I'm quite liking Mio so far, the spoiler[bathroom scene was awkward but the bedroom one] was much more my cup of tea.

Also, the OP was rather good and I'm eager to see what happens next, so that's got to be a good thing... Right? Razz
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Dad remarrying, son gets new sisters.
Here come the awkward situations..
Especially with slightly different sisters.
Sure it offers the usual but with an interesting twist.
Yup, a fun ecchi-harem theme for the guys to enjoy.
Skipping this.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Why does that woman look like a sexualized version of Namie Yagiri from Durarara? Even the exact same clothes!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Oh an ecchi series with a stepsister, with all the shoujo and such series I think I could do with a plain old ecchi harem like series.

Okay, not even midpoint and he is already saving her from thugs, this show is moving fast. So quick on the harem cliché route a little too quick but I just won't watch it for the plot.

Wait, now they are acting odd... oh there is magic in this series, well there were hints that loli was not quite right, and I know that this means lead character is normal either since the scars were kind of hints. See, this is why I don't just look into a series based off already knowing the premise, I like to be surprised and there seems to bigger focus on action here, and I like it.

How often do you see everyday like dude turn away the demon girls by overpowering them and telling them to get lost? I do like the look of this now so I think I will look forward to continuing. Paralels to High School DxD seem obvious, and I actually just bought the second season today, I like me some sexy demon girls, and I can't say the direction it is taking is bad either.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
It may be a dumb pile of regurgitated ecchi, but I'm watching for the designs and for the upcoming Zest, and hopefully for uncensored AT-X broadcasts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
So basically Demon Lords always have red hair and big hoots? I don't see anything wrong with that. This is mildly amusing. Will see where it goes.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
rather unremarkable first episode, but I do like it a whole more than Rogue Hero's first episode. hopefully that means something. I'll keep watching for now
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Eeh, the fanservice (so far) is bearable, red-haired li'l sis looks pretty much like Rias, she and her succubus aide are likable, plus our hero is actually badass (boy those scars!) and.... that questionable bathroom scene aside, surprisingly chaste. I dig it.

Family rulez! Cool
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Hope the BD removes the censoring....ugh.

spoiler[Yuuki probably knows Mio more than meets the eye based on her reactions.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, it wasn't the bathroom scene that was "questionable;" I actually thought that scene was remarkably tastefully handled for a series like this. That whole spoiler[curse thing], though. . . yeesh.

That aside, I found the second episode mildly more likable than the first, and that may be enough to (tentatively) keep me watching it. Too much of it is still stereotypical harem drivel, but it does have its moments and I am taking a liking to Maria and her way of doing things. Yuuki, OTOH, is already showing signs of representing one of my least favorite archetypes from recent harem fare. (I liken her to Origami from Date a Live, and not in a good way.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Oh boy! The Blu-ray is probably going to remove the censoring but I wonder if they add extra scenes like Highschool DxD. Now that the bloods cooled down, it was a pretty decent episode. Maria has clinched top spot with her devious Succubus ways... so adorable yet seductive.

Looking forward to seeing how spoiler[Yuuki is connected to Mio and if Basara can survive this blossoming 'battle' between them.]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, the curse thing. Considering the master/servant relationship was supposed to go the other way, I wonder what solution to the curse Basara would have had to endure every time he was recalcitrant. That Maria ended up cleaning up a wet spot was a hoot.

Given the time frame involved, Yuuki is a member of the hero tribe. Basara's father did say that they were monitoring Mio. That is probably why Yuuki is there. Certainly no coincidence.

At least we got rid of the incest they were teasing in the setup. No mother, no marriage, no relationship. Just teenagers living in the same household.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So basically Demon Lords always have red hair and big hoots? I don't see anything wrong with that. This is mildly amusing. Will see where it goes.

That was one nice thing about Shuffle. The "god" had the red hair while the "devil" had the blue. Changed it up some. Both had big hoots so not that much of a change lol. As for this show....I guess it will fulfill my T&A show for this season. I honestly do like the character designs, even clothed. If the show can at least turn into a T&S harem show with a somewhat serious plot and decent character development I'll stick with it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

spoiler[9 times], I am pretty sure it must have still been awkward for him but he spoiler[really dodged a bullet, and maybe more mess]. Surprising they actually showed it. For once the spoiler[guy did not put on the bad end of the contract].

I actually assumed from the first appearance that in some way Maria might have been the step-mother, like she was mostly looked young, while most tropes pointed spoiler[her being a succubus]. It seems likely she is not as young as she looks. Funny thing connecting to the other series with spoiler[a succubus] this season.

Cliché, but I am still liking what I see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7