• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Release Corrections.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
No Game, No Life novel 2 (#27761) and Spice & Wolf novel 15 (#27762) need to be tapped down from graphic to novel.

Done (although Amazon doesn't make it at all clear that NGNL is a novel).
Trying to figure out if an Imprint counts as a Company now...

--edit--

So, addendum.

The only page on the Yen Press site that really says anything about Yen On is this: http://www.yenpress.com/2014/04/sakura-con-2014-announcements-new-licenses/

Tempest's thoughts on Imprints: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6808 (albeit from 10 years ago)
I know we've discussed this more recently in regards to video labels but the problem is finding it. I've yet to locate an image of a full cover to see what it on there.

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
(although Amazon doesn't make it at all clear that NGNL is a novel).

Yeah, I hesitated before adding, but between (1) having a Kindle edition, (2) page counts, and (3) heavily weighted that the publisher is listed as "Yen On" (although B&N likes to use "Orbit",) I figured the odds were quite favorable even if Yen hasn't updated their series pages yet. Having already added the second volume of the manga, and this being a different ISBN was the final straw.

[And just so it isn't lost on the prior page, most of the items on my 10/18 and 12/4 posts still need correcting.]

Edit: The policy of listing them as labeled makes sense, as I was just thinking back to when we had the various ADV branches and DC Comics imprints releasing titles. However, it also feels like something that could result in needing a fair amount of after-the-fact correction work is someone adds the release under the wrong name. In the end, it shows as "distributor", so I guess the most senior parent entry would be correct, as those would be the business relationships & resources ultimately in play with bringing the release to market. [Edit #4:] A Certain Magical Index novel 1 does use "Yen On" for the spine, back cover, and title & copyright pages. The copyright page also refers to it as an imprint of Hachette, instead of a sub-imprint, which should make it a sister to Yen Press. The only reference I saw to Yen Press itself was for the website.

Edit #2 - The following need to get moved up to BD+DVD (I'm guessing the skimmer just reads Rakuten as all-DVD-only): Fairy Tail 15 (#27785), Unbreakable Machine-Doll limited (#27786) and standard (#27787), and Tokyo Ravens limited (#27788) and standard (#27789).
Edit #3 - The names for Kamichama Karin Chu volume 1 (#11097), volume 2 (#11318), volume 3 (#12364), and volume 6 (#14521) need to be conformed.

Last edited by bglassbrook on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why, but when I added the final GN release (volume 10) to Happy Marriage!?, it appeared at the top of the release list, which puts it out of numerical order.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
SAO novel 5 (#27914) and Devil is a Part Timer novel 2 (#27920) need to be moved down from graphic.

Chibi Shoujo wrote:
Not sure why, but when I added the final GN release (volume 10) to Happy Marriage!?, it appeared at the top of the release list, which puts it out of numerical order.

The other nine volumes have been grouped, so an editor will need to move volume 10 (#27913) into the group for it to be in order.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
SAO novel 5 (#27914) and Devil is a Part Timer novel 2 (#27920) need to be moved down from graphic.

Chibi Shoujo wrote:

The other nine volumes have been grouped, so an editor will need to move volume 10 (#27913) into the group for it to be in order.

Fixed all the above
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Lynzee...

Next up: Like the 3rd volume in my 10/18 post, Index novel 4 (#27922) needs to be moved down from graphic.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Got those, plus some left overs from the October post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Edit: The policy of listing them as labeled makes sense, as I was just thinking back to when we had the various ADV branches and DC Comics imprints releasing titles. However, it also feels like something that could result in needing a fair amount of after-the-fact correction work is someone adds the release under the wrong name. In the end, it shows as "distributor", so I guess the most senior parent entry would be correct, as those would be the business relationships & resources ultimately in play with bringing the release to market. [Edit #4:] A Certain Magical Index novel 1 does use "Yen On" for the spine, back cover, and title & copyright pages. The copyright page also refers to it as an imprint of Hachette, instead of a sub-imprint, which should make it a sister to Yen Press. The only reference I saw to Yen Press itself was for the website.

I'm blanking here - do you have an example of any other imprints already in the encyclopedia so I can check how they've been handled before? I'm not sure whether to replaced the "Licensed by" with Yen On or add them as a distributor or something...
For now I've added Yen On as a second Licensed By for Index and re-assigned the first novel to them. I believe it should now be an option when adding other items from that UPC block (although that might only work when adding a title, in which case I need to wait for another one to come along that needs adding). I need to catch a bus now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I just looked up the Naruto, Vampire Knight, and Bokurano manga, all three of which are published under imprints from Viz (Shonen Jump, Shojo Beat, and Viz Signature, respectively. All three are simply listed as "Licensed by: Viz Media".

I would propose that any Licensed/Distributed/etc credits remain on a company level, with precisions used for imprints. Imprints are not their own companies, they're just a different way of displaying the demographic for the title.

For the three I listed above, it would come out as "Licensed by: Viz Media (Shonen Jump)", "Licensed by: Viz Media (Shojo Beat)", and "Licensed by: Viz Media (Viz Signature)". For Yen's light novels, it would be "Licensed by: Yen Press (Yen On)".

In the case of Yen Press/Yen On, Yen Press explicitly stated at their 2014 Sakura-Con panel where they introduced Yen On, that it was a new imprint they were creating, and all of the licenses are done by Yen Press, which leads me to believe that it's one company, the same as Viz with Shonen Jump, Shojo Beat, and Viz Signature.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
This needs moved. Someone added I Want to Bite to I Am Alice: Body Swap in Wonderland?

release#17395

there wasn't an entry for I Want to Bite, so I made one:
manga#16668

However, I can't find it in the drop-down menu under "change anime"
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Intrigue in the Bakumatsu should have the disc-counts removed from the volume number label for the BD Collection 1 (#21224), BD Collection 2 (#21689), DVD Collection 1 (#21225), and DVD Collection 2 (#21687).
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I'm blanking here - do you have an example of any other imprints already in the encyclopedia so I can check how they've been handled before? I'm not sure whether to replaced the "Licensed by" with Yen On or add them as a distributor or something...
For now I've added Yen On as a second Licensed By for Index and re-assigned the first novel to them. I believe it should now be an option when adding other items from that UPC block (although that might only work when adding a title, in which case I need to wait for another one to come along that needs adding). I need to catch a bus now.

Prior imprints: The first one I'm spotting, Tower of the Future (manga #4361) is branded CMX, credited as published by WildStorm Productions, which is credited as being an imprint of DC Comics. [I can edit in more examples later, but need to dash.]
Yen On titles: in skimming over the spines while preparing for my current shelf reorganization project, I noticed Accel World novels 1 & 2, Is It Wrong to... novel 1, and Spice & Wolf novels 12 & 13 have also come out under the Yen On branding.
Viz: Maybe a strange-duck choice for this issue, since their secondary branding is usually based on the magazine it is co-published under.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
Asked my roommate the librarian her opinion (since the encyclopedia is kinda like a card catalog), and she likes the idea of using precision.

Oh, and I did look and see that BLU (Tokyopop's yaoi/yuri imprint) and Sublime (Viz's yaoi/yuri imprint) are listed as their own company. If we change it so that imprints are done as precisions, those should be changed.

If we decide that imprints should have their own entries, we should have the parent company be in an omnibus-like entry, with the imprints listed on the main company's page.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
This needs moved. Someone added I Want to Bite to I Am Alice: Body Swap in Wonderland?

release#17395

there wasn't an entry for I Want to Bite, so I made one:
manga#16668

However, I can't find it in the drop-down menu under "change anime"

"added on 2010-06-17"
Back then we weren't including Light Novels so the releases went under the closest related entry (e.g. the manga). No idea who it ended up there however...
"I Want to Bite" isn't on the list and I have no idea why, since it has a licensor.
I just fixed it by.. cheating and modifying the page code to add ID#16668 to the list using Chrome developer tools.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Re: Imprints

I've found one of the threads where the video side of this was discussed:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1408832

It came to no real conclusion, however it probably prompted Dan's thread here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2901089

Going by that thread we might end up with Hatchett as licensor (company who holds the license) and Yen On as publisher (brand on the packaging)?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:36 am Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2 BD-Set 5 (#27700) should be Region A, not BD+DVD combo.

Imprints: It does seem to be we are probably dealing with a multi-step problem. We start with the existing issue of #1 - all things NOT being the same, what is the role of a licenser vs. publisher vs. etc. (though I'm still mulling how to express my preference on how the line is drawn) when they are different? Then we add to that #2 - how should crediting be done among related entities? And then for good measure we would have to feed it back through #1 to make sure the results don't change because now the roles may no longer be done by someone different.

I'm not fond of the precision option, because that would make ordinary usage (such as for geographic locations within the same language, but not in the case of Viz's different magazine lines) more difficult. Where I could see precisions useful in that regard might be when individuals are named in situations normally handled by companies (or vice-versa,) which would be something frequently done with the publisher credit of Viz titles. A non-Viz (since most of their stuff seems co-branded with the specific line's dress anyway) example of where things could get ugly when making these decisions is FUNimation, as there was a period of time where they were partnered with Nelvana, then part of Nelvana, etc. Though at least in that case it is less a matter of problems in steps 2 & 3 as it is the entity itself moving around within/without a group.

EDIT [to-do]: Violence Jack OVA Collection should be cross-linked to the second and third episodes.
EDIT #2 [to-do]: Freezing: Vibration Limited & Standard editions and D-Frag! Limited & Standard editions should all be changed to BD+DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 43