• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Excessive Quoting - Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Psycho, your example isn't even close to excessive quoting. How I do I know this, I asked the same question on page 1, and it's not excessive quoting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Multiple single quotes are fine. It's when a single quote back-quotes 2 or more other posts that become an eyesore.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This
is
too
much.

The limit I've set is no more than 2, like this:
----------

Michael wrote:
Oscar wrote:
I'm tellin' ya', I'm Oscar.. dot com.

[Blank stare].. Not fallin' for it, dad.

Narrator: It's Arrested Development.
----------

^ One more quote in that would be a strike.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to be sure. If I missed the answer before my bad. I've had the flu for almost 2 weeks so I'm not exactly at 100% right now.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I've had the flu for almost 2 weeks so I'm not exactly at 100% right now.

Ah now I see why you didn't see my post where I asked a similar question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I've had the flu for almost 2 weeks so I'm not exactly at 100% right now.

Ah now I see why you didn't see my post where I asked a similar question.

I totally read every page before asking and thought it hadn't been brought up. So I obviously just scrolled right past it and overlooked it. Oops. Not even the most embarrassing thing to happen to me today either.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

I totally read every page before asking and thought it hadn't been brought up. So I obviously just scrolled right past it and overlooked it. Oops. Not even the most embarrassing thing to happen to me today either.

It's alright, same thing happen to me from time to time. Razz
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize that there was such a thing as excessive quoting here. Sorry about that. I know how to reply now.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
^
HOLD ON A SECOND -- you do not have more than 100 posts; therefore, you should not be on the Wall of Shame. I'm going to strike you from the Wall.

EDIT: Done.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I didn't realize that there was such a thing as excessive quoting here. Sorry about that. I know how to reply now.

I meant to simply send you a warning and link you to the page so you could read it, not add you. I had another poster up at the same time and accidentally copied your name along with his. My apologies.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I updated the opener with, I believe, all the updates that need to be added.

But if someone would like to check it and make sure I didn't miss anything, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I have a problem with this:
Quote:
the editing/warning process will vary based on each individual Mod

There shouldn't be anything involving moderating that varies based on the mod. Everyone should follow the same guidelines, and moderate in the same manner.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I'm not sure how each of them physically do it.

Before all the new Mods, I've just been deleting the posts and sending PMs. I'm pretty sure everyone, at least sends the PM warning, but I'm not sure what they do with the actual posts, so my bad if I'm assuming the wrong thing on that.

This particular statement was meant as more of a "personality disclaimer," in that I might not be as nice about it as nbahn or whoever.

Are you looking for uniformity in our "physical processes" (the editing/deleting and PM warning) or our "approaches" (the personality part)? 'Cause the latter's gonna' be a little harder to fix.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
@Dessa
As long as the moderators are human (possibly an unwarranted assumption) and the rules are in English, there will be variations in the application of the rules. Add to that the fact that there are provisions for the experience of the poster and how egregious the offense is, variation is almost guaranteed.

Because of the size of the site and the number of daily posts, the moderators have to be able to act independently. I would assume that only the most troublesome posts actually get discussed.

It is better this way. Rules so detailed as to prevent any variation would probably stifle valid discussion.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
@Tony - The former. I'm honestly not comfortable with the idea that some mods might just edit a post, and others might delete it completely. I think there needs to be uniform guidelines, on "if [x], then [y]". Not "if [x], then do whatever you feel like."
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I have a problem with this:
Quote:
the editing/warning process will vary based on each individual Mod

There shouldn't be anything involving moderating that varies based on the mod. Everyone should follow the same guidelines, and moderate in the same manner.

We are all only human Dessa. We each have our own thoughts in regards to posts and deciding how to handle them. We do have guidelines we follow of course, but the mods are not machines. This is not the military either. The mods do deal with problematic posts based on their own interpretation and decisions based on the guidelines. Same as it's always been here. We discuss issues no differently than any previous mods or older current ones. If you expect 100% perfection and identical warnings that's a bit unreasonable.

Dessa wrote:
@Tony - The former. I'm honestly not comfortable with the idea that some mods might just edit a post, and others might delete it completely. I think there needs to be uniform guidelines, on "if [x], then [y]". Not "if [x], then do whatever you feel like."

Everyone one of us when editing a post for excessive quoting have done just that, edited it. Not deleted it. Every one of us new mods every single time have not deleted a post for simply excessive quoting. Every time we have edited the excessive quoting out of the post and left a warning with a link to this thread. That's assuming excessive quoting was the only issue of course and not insults or attitude problems. If there are other problems with the post then it is up to the moderator's discretion how to handle it. But that's how it's always been. So I fail to see what the problem is.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6