• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Show Announcements & Question Thread [Updated 5/19/15]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote

So I've been asked maybe a hundred times to set something like this up in one of our subforums, and hey, here it is. It only took me 5 years to do it!

Here's what this thread will be used for:

Guest announcements when we're doing an interview episode
Show announcements when we're doing a single-show discussion episode
Question collection for this week's episode (if you don't want to use Twitter)
Suggestions for/polls about the single-show discussion episodes

And basically anything else related to the show that isn't direct feedback about that week's episode. Let's get to it!

ANNCast for the week of May 22, 2015
Our Guest is Jacob from FAKKU [site is obviously EXTREMELY NSFW].

Question submission deadline: May 19, 5:30pm PST

Please submit any questions you might have for the show here and they might get used on the show.

Bonus Round: Help us decide our next series discussion!

Please also use this thread to suggest series for discussion on the show. We do one of these every month, so that's 12 per year, and we're open to any and all suggestions for series to watch and discuss on the show. The only requirement is that the show is not currently airing and isn't between seasons - so right now we wouldn't cover, say, Tokyo Ghoul or Fate/stay night unlimited blade works.

Here's the poll to help us decide the next series discussion: http://strawpoll.me/4401374

Thanks for listening! This thread will update every week.

Last edited by Zac on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:00 pm; edited 6 times in total
Student no.0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd be down for listening to an ANNCast on the following shows:
-R.O.D the TV (the two-cour show and the 3 OVAs if you can still find them):
anime#1989
anime#819
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Steins;Gate (Don't know if you'll want to wait for Funi to release the movie finale first though)
-Fantasista Doll (I know a lot people don't watch this, but gosh it was so hilariously wack it was a guilty pleasure for me)
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Nice post! Although when you put the special guest we already assume in the podcast anyone from ANN's staff could also participate, isn't it? So for example for the FMA podcast is possible we see too to Hope or Theron?

Here's mi question for the FMA podcast (some spoilers from both):

spoiler[There are some scenes in Brotherhood/manga made after the 2003 anime where it takes a direction in some ideas radically opposite (example, the Winry's fathers are killed by Scar instead of Mustang, the human transmutation created other new living being without relation to their familiars in a way it relieves the Elrics and Izumi's fault, etc.). Do you feel these changes were planned beforehand or changed to, for example, disasocciate this version from the first anime and not having the same expectatives? If you feel like it, did you feel it affected the direction and ideas of the series heavily?]

Edit: HAHAHAHA Arjuna! Vote to that, that podcast will be amazing!

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Generally the series discussion episodes will always involve myself and Hope and then a guest. Consider her the co-host for those episodes. If Theron were to join us, he'd be the 'guest'.

Thanks for your questions and thanks to Student no.0 for the series suggestions! ROD has been suggested a lot, we'll get to it at some point.

Last edited by Zac on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
GordanHam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Aw. I was hoping the show would try to cover the more recent shows over old ones. I am fine with doing the classics, just personally not that interested in anything going that far back. I just think that I have heard so much about all the old shows over the years, just in small chunks.
Unless it's Evangelion. Zac and Justin seem to like talking about it, but it kinda always is really short and they just go, "I know what you like about it, and why," to each other. Seems they have talked about it enough off the podcast for their tastes maybe, or just know each other's thoughts on the show too well.

I would recommend going over any shows from Kenji Nakamura. They are all really short and creative. I think the one that would be best to discuss is Gatchaman Crowds. It is the most recent one, and it deals with a lot of experimental things, which you guys seem to like. I also think [C] - Control is another good choice. It deals a lot with self-worth, and I liked it better than Penguindrum.

Also, so will you be making a new thread for every new episode when you announce it? And we put questions there?

And
FMA: Brotherhood Show Question:
spoiler[Did you get End of Eva vibes from the imagery in the final episodes?
If so, you think it was coincidence, or intentional?]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
We'll do new stuff, it just has to be finished.

Like, we could do Nozaki-kun. Or Space Dandy. Or Mahouka.

(...please don't make us do mahouka)

This thread will be updated every week when there's a show. No need to start fresh every time. Thanks!
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying these single-show episodes, I'm glad you're going to continue doing more of them. I think they might be my favourite ANNcast episodes so far.

As for show suggestions, I was going to say Haibane Renmei but I see you already have that on there. How about RahXephon? I think there's quite a lot to chew on both in terms of the show itself and its relationship to Eva.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I already voted Giant Robo because Giant Robo, but as a short show suggestion I'd recommend Kino's Journey.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey Zac, you guys should totally review Mahouka. you know you wanna.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Question:: Do you think that there is a difference in artistic value between more faithful adaptations such as Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and more divergent ones such as the first series?

You’re opening potential floodgates by soliciting show suggestions and I am a mighty river!

I second R.O.D. the TV and OVA; I liked those a lot, but I’ve never really figured them out, at least as far as why I’m so keen on them. (Also Serial Experiments Lain, but decline to endorse Mahouka, because I’ve contributed enough evil)

Something evil within me wants Zac to be forced to spend an hour thoroughly discussing Saber Marionette J. (Or, but preferably and, Cyberteam in Akihabara)

I, for one, would prefer more discussion of older series. Newer series don’t feel like they’ve had to time build a connection.

Kyōsōgiga (This show is very artistically ambitious and interesting as well as culturally distinctive with a lot to talk about. The director, Rie Matsumoto, as a promising new talent, that adds interest)

Princess Tutu (An obvious choice, but I believe that there’s widespread interest and a great deal to discuss)

Kino’s Journey (It might be tricky because it’s episodic, but each story could probably support a short episode on its own and Kino is a remarkable character)

Now and Then, Here and There (This is an emotionally potent series and it might merit discussion as to how much merit its themes have beyond that. This might also be a good case for badgering Justin into participating)

Key the Metal Idol (This could be one part analysis of a fascinating show that was very ambitious for its time and one part gruesome autopsy of how it ended up)

Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~ (I believe that this has been discussed before, but it’s artistically and thematically interesting enough to support a complete episode. Sayo Yamamoto’s other series, Michiko e Hatchin might also be a good candidate)

The Big O (The series has a more interesting than usual history, ambitious intentions and even though it goes off the rails, it does so in a way that I think would at least provoke discussion)

It’s only an OVA, but The Time Stranger is such an unusual and interesting creation that it could be fertile ground for discussion.

And it’s only a film, but Galaxy Express 999, because it’s such a historically important film and… uh… I love it. (Probably Patlabor 2 too)

I could go on, but I'm sure that others well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I do not have a specific suggestion, but I would recommend discussing a show at some point you hate with a passion. Maybe not necessarily a well known one like Sword Art Online or Aldnoah.Zero, but one that best exemplifies all the things you think anime or storytelling in general does wrong, or perhaps just a complete train wreck as it went on. Apart from just being fun to pick apart a bad show, I think there is so much more that can be learned from a series that makes bad choices than one that does the most things right.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Generally the series discussion episodes will always involve myself and Hope and then a guest. Consider her the co-host for those episodes. If Theron were to join us, he'd be the 'guest'.

Thanks for your questions and thanks to Student no.0 for the series suggestions! ROD has been suggested a lot, we'll get to it at some point.

Your welcome and thank you for your willingness to hear us out!(no sarcasm intended by this message btw)
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I like a lot of Surrender Artist's suggestions; Kyousogiga is definitely worthy of a look at some point, for instance, and to a lesser extent NTHT and Princess Tutu.

However, I think that his best suggestion is Key the Metal Idol. Obvious personal bias aside, the big upsurge in idol shows over the past couple of years makes this an excellent time to go back and take a serious look at possibly the most scathingly negative idol show ever made. It packs a lot more symbolism than it might appear at first glance and its social commentary about idols, the idol industry, and the fandom which powers it may be even more relevant now than it was when the series was made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:03 am Reply with quote
I'd certainly also like to see Now and Then, Here and There. Like SA said, in addition to the emotional impact it's regarded for, I think it also has quite a few other merits in terms of presentation and thematic elements that make it worth talking about at length.

I also agree that Key the Metal Idol would be a really great show to discuss. Like Key, it's one of my favorite anime. I think it's great because of how complex and unique it is; there's really nothing like it at all. It's got lots of stuff going on and diverse characters with extremely striking imagery and it has quite a lot to say about the nature of performance, puppetry/animation, society and organization in general, and even philosophy of science.

What I'd probably want to see most (and mind you, to quote Key, personal bias aside) is a show about From the New World AKA Shinsekai Yori. This is one of the most unique and compelling works of science ficiton I've ever seen. It's an incredible exploration of the value of humanity, and the potential of societies that are completely different than ours, handling strengths and weaknesses of that alike. The radical shifts in human structuring after a crisis led to a society whose organization and members are completely different than what we're familiar with, and these characters are extremely intelligent and engaging. The setting here is so well considered; everything feels completely 'right', even though you couldn't have predicted it beforehand. The artistic and cinematographic presentation is really striking. This one I find incredible on all levels. It really made me think in ways I never have before.

It's a relatively recent series (2012), and while it didn't take the anime world by storm like some of its contemporaries like SAO, it did gain quite a bit of popularity in certain circles of English speaking anime fandom in an underhand, word of mouth way. This mostly happened gradually, after it finished airing. I guess you could say that's what they call a 'cult classic'. I'd particularly like to see it on the show because it's a reasonably significant (and certainly unique) recent show that hasn't really gotten any mention on ANNcast.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
I'd also like to see a review of From the New World. Mainly because it was a favorite of a lot of us on the forums but I felt it was overlooked on ANN as a whole. It also I felt led to a lot of great discussions.

And Princess Tutu is always welcome.

Also I am not sure if this is the place to ask but would ANNcast ever consider to interview the staff at Siren Visual? I realize they are not in the US but I find what they license (and what the U.S. doesn't) very unique. I'd love to hear more about their licensing strategy and why they go after certain series the U.S. does not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4