• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Log Horizon (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
The problem with that, is that he spoiler[wouldn't have been able to add Roe2 to his friends list], because the game requires spoiler[you be able to see the person face-to-face to add them]. Since you can only spoiler[contact people on your friends list], that was the significance with (spoiler only because it involves the above spoilers, it's from a past episode) spoiler[William telling him to add him to his friends list. He was basically saying "Contact me if you need help"]. So there's no way that spoiler[he could have Roe2 on his friends list], since spoiler[they can't be logged in at the same time].

Furthermore, it's not a situation like Kanami, who was apparently able to move between servers, either, because spoiler[Roe2 wasn't on a normal server, she was on the test server].
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm in agreement with you if you're talking about the game in the state that it is currently. I was talking about before the 'Apocalypse' occurred, when Elder Tales was just a PC video game.

To be fair we know little about Elder Tales before hand. So it's more than likely you could add players to friends without seeing them face to face, that would also include offline players too which may include alts.

I'm basing all this speculation on what can be done in MMORPG's today such as World of Warcraft, etc. I admit that the theory is going to be totally wrong but it's just one way of trying to make sense of the situation if it was to be revealed that way. Very Happy
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
It was made more clear in the novel, but it seems like that's always how it has been.

Also, I'd have to re-check episode 1, but I don't think people on other servers show up on your friends list, either. I don't remember Kanami showing up on Shiroe's when he checked it, and she would've been on an overseas server at the time.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 16:
Decent episode although the pacing for the first half felt a bit slow.

I like how they have spoiler[mechanics with some of the mounts in this show like horses and their limitations. Hey, it needs to eat too right? The fight felt a bit meh but that ending was amusing. I think the name and appearance makes her somewhat obvious to get guess..]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 16

Was waiting the entire episode for this Roe2 to join in, and spoiler[she finally does so at the end of the episode].

There were some nice bits like Izumi spoiler[singing season 2's ending], and the group spoiler[cheering on Serara on by imitating the higher level Log Horizon members].
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16

Whilst I'm enjoying the younger members have more screen time, it makes me wonder how they plan on resolving the other issues with the nine episodes that are left.

Anyway... The episode. It was great to hear spoiler[Isuzu play 'Wonderful Wonder World'] and just see the younger members interact with each other. I will admit that I spent most of the episode waiting for spoiler[Roe2] to make her appearance. I thought for certain that one of them would think it was spoiler[Shiroe that saved them from the phantasms. Roe2's mannerisms and appearance demanded an uncertain "Shiroe?..." as she walked rather epically through the mist.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 17

Not particularly relevant to the episode, but I love how the ED always makes me feel a little... I don't know the word but maybe "wistful", but by the end it always makes me feel extra happy.

So Roe2 is not happy that she was essentially spoiler[given a roleplaying subclass with mostly downsides]. I also guess that spoiler[undead samurai are not the best motivational backup], but even they could appreciate spoiler[Serara's wolf summon].

So for some reason spoiler[Nureha was going away from her group]? And the Round Table needs to spoiler[fix their economy so that more people have a part without damaging and or punishing people who have worked hard]. I guess it is safe to assume that they understand economics, if people are spoiler[having trouble with no positions of income, then you would have to create some].
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
I think I'm starting to spoiler[like Roe2 more and more now. And not to mention, she is in quite an unique sub-class (Vampire). For the other parts, I find some of the economics and political side of the story to be kinda interesting]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

So the episode started with Plant Hywaden still progressing towards spoiler[Akihabara and Nureha leaving them, eventually finding the LH younglings.]

Roe 2 is amazing. Her movements are like Shiroe, so is her wisdom, but she is so much more lighthearted and playful. The spoiler[big sister] role definitely suits her. It'll be a sad day when she finally decides to spoiler[depart from the others.]

The Odyssey Knights were indeed interesting. I'm guessing they are carrying the spoiler[Temple of Boreas towards Akihabara in preparation for the battle ahead. It would be problematic if Plant Hywaden's members respawned back at Minami during the fight, but at what cost to their souls?]
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
WARNING: If you do not want to know Roe2's identity, don't look at the Crunchyroll news and the article about Michiru Ueyama doing fan art of her. Not only does the title of the article have spoilers for it, they flat-out give it away in the first sentence of the article, as well.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Just got current with Log Horizon S2. I'm honestly a little disappointed in this season so far. While S1 had some pacing issues in the beginning, S2 has them everywhere.

Yeah - it was nostalgic to hear S1's ending during scenes in S2. But, after like 3 - 4 episodes, it's getting old. And, while I know this is an unpopular opinion, I'm going to throw it out there... Isuzu's VA isn't singing well. Is she trying to sing poorly? Is the song not in her range? I dunno, but it makes my ears bleed. I understand the character isn't supposed to be "gifted", as they've so clearly pointed out. However, if she knew anything about music, it's that she could at least play the song in a key where she could sing it better. Just my opinion though...

I did not care for most of the show prior to episode 14 or so and I don't like some of the updated character designs (which I guess are being done by Studio DEEN?). The action has been really lack luster, especially compared to S1.

In the latest episode (18, I think), the writing between Roe2 and Minami was rough. Super rough. It's like they were trying to be mysterious but, to me, it just sounded like they were talking in circles. "who are you?" was basically challenged with "you should ask yourself that question." It kinda reminded me of Tropic Thunder and the "dudes are emerging" conversation that ended with "I'm a rooster illusion", but Log Horizon was less funny. Very Happy

That conversation, along with the conversations between Isuzu and Rudy about the People of the Land and spoiler[music], and Tohru and the Odyssey Knight, had me feeling like they were moving the series to a place of introspection. I'm kinda ok with that, but I'd be more OK with it if they would just get on with it. I feel like this series is just dragging on and on. It's really starting to bore me and the only reason I'm still watching is to see how it ends.

The raid arc was really rough for me too. I think it was episode 12 or just after that when the raid arc concluded and I was so happy it was over. The Guild Leader's episode long speech was a real downer as was the same footage of spoiler[Shiroe and Akatsuki meeting in the limbo world when they died].

I couldn't care less about most of the minor characters who were introduced this season either. This is another huge shift for me from S1. I liked all of the characters introduced in S1 and I felt that they were given good screen time, lines, motives, action scenes, etc. Now, it's like one character is introduced after another and there's not enough provided for me to make that connection. And there's not enough good action. Where's the fun action of S1? What happened to that?

At least Akatsuki finally did something.

Sorry for the rant. :\ Didn't realize it was so ranty until after I read it through. I'm just really disappointed in S2. Is anyone else feeling that way?

Aside from Love Live S2, this was the show I was most looking forward to and I'm finding it to be quite a downer. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with you about this season, although I'm not as disappointed by it as you are. I'm still enjoying it very much.

Couldn't agree more about Isuzu's vocalizations (my snark on that was lost in the boardquake). I'm also glad to know it wasn't just me who was baffled by Roe's speech. I didn't understand a word she said. And I was pretty lost about what was going on with the Plant and Land people (I think I don't have all the terminology firmly in my head). Was all that happening on the train or were different venues involved? All I got was they were doing something bad and perhaps morally questionable.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

And I was pretty lost about what was going on with the Plant and Land people (I think I don't have all the terminology firmly in my head). Was all that happening on the train or were different venues involved? All I got was they were doing something bad and perhaps morally questionable.

Same here. I feel really dumb admitting that I couldn't follow the plot, but... half the time I'm like "who are these people, why do I care, and what the heck is going on?". To make matters worse, I did a Log Horizon S2 marathon. I even went back and revisited parts of Season 1 to see if I was missing something. And I still can't piece it together. Even after watching one episode after the next, it's still confusing. I feel like I should have taken notes.

For the longest time, I thought that the train belonged to a completely different group. LOL And I'm still not sure who it belongs to. Anime cry

There was an episode where they introduced like 7 or 8 characters (the ones who are on the train) and they were all taking turns talking during their introductions. But the series moved so quickly through that part. After it was over, I was like "huh?".

I've had no issue following other shows' plots or characters (for the most part) for years. But, when it comes to this show, it's just lost me...

I'm kinda worried that they have too many irons in the fire and that they might have bitten off more than they can chew with this series. A lot of the early stuff felt really slow and drug out (lots of recaps/flashbacks to things that happened an episode prior or DURING that episode) and other parts feel super rushed, leaving characters underdeveloped.

I feel a little better reading your reply Gina. Just knowing that I'm not alone makes me feel better. Anime cry But, I'm sorry that you're lost too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been really enjoying the second season. Seems completely spot on for writing and obviously for a cheap publicly funded kids show it's not going to have the artistic prowess of the after-midnight shows targeting otaku.

It's a slow burn, of course, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Steady in-depth world building, political machinations, and clever use of MMORPG mechanics to entwine in the story are my main reasons for loving Log Horizon, and I can't say that there has been any downgrade for any of that with Deen's work (which is to be expected since the entire main production crew is the exact same as Satelight's first season).

As for answers. The "people on the train" are part of a segment of Plant Hwayden, the ruling guild of Minami. The Lander mad scientist seems to have developed a tool so that People of the Land can interface with a Summoner's summon via the mechanism shown. The effect from what I understood is that with this the People of the Land can gain experience safely from whatever the summon that they're controlling without any danger of dying. A Lander-controlled summon could then likely be 'power leveled' so that a large amount of experience is then absorbed by the Lander.

This was not touched on at all, but the implications of this device are great. For instance, we know that the various alliances that exist between People of the Land and Adventurers exist currently because the Adventurers can provide protection for the People of the Land. Also we know that Adventurers represent only 30,000 of Yamato and that the Half Gaia Project means that the area of Yamato is half that of modern Japan. Just imagine how many total people there could be living there. I can't recall if it's stated so it likely is conjecture, but I imagine that the People of the Land far outnumber Adventurers and with this device's invention there could be amassed an army of People of the Land who have been 'power leveled' and thus be a mighty potent force if conflict were to arise between the Landers and Adventurers. These power leveled Landers of course could also provide the protection for most if not all cases making the Adventurers of little use to the People of the Land.

Also one very striking detail from the last episode is that the Red-head Lander sent the summons after the Odyssey Knights who are also a segment of Plant Hwayden. Her group, which represent the People of the Land's struggle to overcome death directly attacked the Adventurers who were using death as a means to cope with their unwanted estrangement from their lives on Earth. However, to the some of the Landers I can only imagine that this repeated suicide-fueled ecstasy where Adventurers can fight and die and fight and die with no consequences (that they're aware of) seems like a mockery of the Landers' mortality and sparks some rage within them.

There is a ton of stuff that is going on right now in Log Horizon. However most of it is not at the forefront. That's typically the case with solid world development in my opinion.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think you covered it pretty well, Megiddo... only Plant Hwayden isn't the leading guild in Minami: it's the *only* guild in Minami. Razz

It's interesting how different the dynamic is between Akhabara and Eastal and between Minami and Westelande.

The relationship between Akhabara and Eastal seems to be one of (cautious) respect where each is trying to learn how better to deal with the other without treading on any toes or throwing either out of whack.

So far as I can tell, the relationship between Minami and Westelande is... all over the place. You have the lady in the train (a lander), who is, presumably, a high ranking member of the guild, yet she shows little besides contempt for Adventurers (an emotion I never once saw displayed by any Lander in Eastal), the Landers in Safil seemed to like Adventurers and trusted the Oddysey Knights (which they'll likely come to regret) and treated the Log Horizon younglings pretty decently. On the other side you have some Adventures from Minami treating the Landers reasonably well, though we're *not* shown any instance of Adventures going out of their way to help the Landers (the Oddysey Knights don't count, as they were just using the attack as a means to an end, not to help the Landers)... there's not much to go on to show what sort of prevaling opinion the Adventurers there have for Landers. But it doesn't seem very... healthy to me.

At this point, I expect that the Landers, at least those of Westelande, probably view Adventurers as if they were all the same, save maybe for a few. What I mean is that I expect that the Westelande Landers think that the Adventurers in Akihabara are no different than those in Minami... I wonder if the Landers in Eastal think the same -- that the Adventurers in Minami are the same as those in Akihabara?

At any rate, there still seems to be a pretty big gap in understanding between Adventurers and Landers, running in both directions. While the Round Table (due to Shiroe's influence) is taking steps to try to address this, I wonder if Plant Hwayden has been trying as well? Somehow, I doubt it. I just hope that Shiroe's work in this direction pays off during the upcoming conflict, because I'm sure the Landers will play an important role in resolving what is coming. I'd find it pretty satisfying if Shiroe's work in trying to improve relations with Eastal ended up helping Akihabara come out on top in the coming conflict.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 47